Popular Tags: [View All]
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the first Combat Commander game at Rangiroa

Chad’s quasi-Random Vacation Generator next led us here to Rangiroa, a famous scuba-diving destination.

Edge of the world’s 2nd largest atoll, Rangiroa

Donna’s scuba photo of plenty of colorful fish

Last night we had a CC game which was no fun for poor Donna. I again rolled low for Elite Germans, and she high for green 1943 Americans. My SS company faced her Rear Echelon company, plus two 50 caliber machine guns, dug in to a bunker complex, on map 55 wide. To make sure that the Americans had NO advantages, her leaders (-2 on the RSG leader table) were a 6-1, a 7-1, and an 8-1. Mine (+2 on the RSG leader table) were a 9-2, a 9-1, and an 8-2. Then for the final insult, I rolled for artillery and was allowed to purchase a 12 fp radio !!

The result: Donna's 4-game winning streak ended!

The pendulum swings back – Green Americans dominated by SS

Sunset over Rangiroa lagoon

Tally from 8 games this holiday now is:

5 wins by Donna
5 wins by the Americans
6 wins by the defenders

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing at CC is not a proper way to decompress...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I googled Rangiroa, saw the "airport" you must have landed at: dayyam.

Looks like a beautiful place to spend a few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Hey, Joe! Got any live ones!?", (but Joe had no grenades). The tank rumbled nearer. Johnny stuffed explosives into his gloves, burrowed deep in the muck and waited; then deftly slapped them into a greasy tread axle and spun for cover; snap-firing...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chick, It's so great that you are doing this and thank you for taking time to also post.

thumbsup Enjoying the trip vicariously... Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
While not CC, I feel like a game of "Conquest of Paradise" is in order when you get home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, tell us about 'conquest of paradise', if you would.

Does it include shark-tooth-edged swords?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Paradise

It's not a heavy game by any means but it's fun and has a bunch of islands I've never heard of, like your posts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I just ordered the cheapest copy in Geekmart. It should be waiting for us when we get home in early October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Trad

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The worm has turned.

Your next trip needs to be to the North Virginia area.

The Potomac river, an amazing scuba destination, is 4 feet deep with 6" of visibility.

Housing is comped at chez Paul, air-mattress, and one washed sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good, Paul !! We may need two air mattresses, depending upon size. What might Donna discover feeling around blindly in the underwater muck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Hey, Joe! Got any live ones!?", (but Joe had no grenades). The tank rumbled nearer. Johnny stuffed explosives into his gloves, burrowed deep in the muck and waited; then deftly slapped them into a greasy tread axle and spun for cover; snap-firing...
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Conquest of Paradise

It's not a heavy game by any means but it's fun and has a bunch of islands I've never heard of, like your posts...

thumbsup Own this game. Great recommendation. The invasion strength bluff aspect of play is especially satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Trad

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Sounds good, Paul !! We may need two air mattresses, depending upon size. What might Donna discover feeling around blindly in the underwater muck?

She might randomly grasp a fish hoping to be adopted, taken home, and placed in a clean aquarium.

Maybe a Civil War bullet.

Oh, she might also find some Congressional self-respect down there in the muck. That assumes it ever existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.