Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 3 player games. first game about 1.25 hours the second was about 1.0 hr. I've seen comments from some that they've played more than 2 hours and I don't see how that's possible. This game plays fast, even with 4 players I can't see this taking more than 90 minutes at the very most.

The mechanics are solid and the scoring is very tight...both of our games weren't decided until the final turn. Scores 24,24,21 and 22,21,20. There's a nice amount of tension in the final few turns.

Having only playing the base game, It has a decent assortment of buildings with varying abilities. Money can be very tight and without the Bank in play it can be difficult to accumulate quickly.

The 3 of us agreed on one small negative...and that is building. In the base game alone there doesn't seem to be a strong incentive to build. 1 victory point for regular buildings and the small amount of money derived from others using it doesn't seem worth the investment. We did build some but felt there could be some small changes to make it more attractive...such as making buildings worth 2 victory points per building instead of 1. Nothing earth shattering, but a little more attractive pathway to victory as well as creating more action selection choices. I have 'Rising Tide' expansion and will see how that incorporates before passing judgment.

Thus far I would rate it a solid 7.5 It's currently one of my favorites in the 60-75 minute category.

One additional thought that seemed interesting was the addition of 'secret identities or agenda cards' for end game scoring along the lines of Troyes...ie. The Contractor: end of game any player with 5+ buildings= 5 points, 4 buildings=3 points, 3 buildings= 1 point. or the 'Warehouseman' resources at end of game score such as 10+ resources= 5 points, 7+ resources = 3 points. 3+ resources = 1 point)...this is something I plan to try on my own with about half dozen cards for optional play. I do think it would make for a good micro expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that you found the buildings' vp contributions lackluster, yet had such tight scoring in both games to be decided by only a couple of points each.

I'm curious - did the winners of both games have more buildings as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Interesting that you found the buildings' vp contributions lackluster, yet had such tight scoring in both games to be decided by only a couple of points each.

I'm curious - did the winners of both games have more buildings as well?

As I recall...first winner built 4 buildings...2nd winner build 3. However, the most built in either game did not win and in one case a player that built 1 building loss the tie breaker of most whales in the end game. At least in the base game, it doesn't appear that building more than 3 or 4 buildings is necessary or desirable. The rulebook itself states that Whaling is the better part of the scoring ...which I agree, but it appears that it's about 75% of the scoring which makes building of limited value overall, but still probably a good idea not to entirely disregard. The expansion may address some of this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Wright
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won from buildings alone before in a 3 player game. That said, 1 pt per building is a lot, considering that Right Whales are 1 pt, but a lot more work to get... the game is very tight, so the scores seem right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I agree with Enoch... this is not a "point salad" game! Points are low, valuable, and the final tallies are usually tight. So even though one point may not seem worth the effort, it can be at the end of the game.

Which is a good segue to your comment here:

swr66 wrote:
In the base game alone there doesn't seem to be a strong incentive to build. 1 victory point for regular buildings and the small amount of money derived from others using it doesn't seem worth the investment.

This was discussed in another recent thread... and here's my take: While it can certainly be the case that 1VP and $1 income isn't enough incentive to build, I offer for consideration that the true incentive to build is to get a building that suits your strategy into play!

Let's face it... there are a lot of great effects that can be leveraged from each of the buildings. And some of them may be perfect for what you're trying to do! But they're absolutely useless to you if they're not in play! So to me, this is the incentive to build. Simple as that.

Getting that 1 VP and the occasional $1 rent is just icing on the cake. The real treat is in the effect the building provides you (assuming you grab it first, but that's another conversation)!

(And BTW, I lost during my last game to a player who won strictly on buildings. The only whale he got was from the one he bought off another player during the last round, FWIW).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the games i've played i feel that the player who chose buildings that generated a lot of passive income typically won. full disclosure that was me on two occasions so maybe i'm drunk on the the thrill of those 2 games but in all seriousness money is so tight that picking up 3 to 4 coins per round without using your action pawns is really important. I think getting a few frequently used buildings out in early rounds adds up to a good deal of money over the course of the game. take a building like the bank - if you build that in round 2, it likely is going to generate 10 coins in passive income if you never use it yourself. the tavern is another that is used near constantly as is the building that makes buildings cost 2 resources less. (courthouse maybe?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.