Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was a promo that was going to be available with the kickstarter, but looking at the campaign page, I don't see any reference to this card. Will backers receive a copy or do we need to buy it here?

Hoping for an official reply from Dom or someone from North Star. =/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
DomCrap response in 3...2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry about the technical difficulties. I think our production team has resolved the issue now...

**TAP TAP ***
[screeching form the mike]
[steps back and covers ears]

**TAP TAP ***
[tentative]

**TAP ***

We're good now...

Chad asked me for an exclusive trait that he could sell on the BGG Store. Gigantism is that trait. It is not included in Promo Pack III which means it will NOT be sent to our Kickstarter backers. Gigantism was tested fairly extensively back in 2013 and 2014. It's a great card, but we wanted to have the fewest number of cards in Evolution because we did not want to overwhelm new players. Climate, Evolution, and Flight work spectacularly without the trait, so don't think you need the trait to fix something. But it's a good one. So get it if you think your group will have fun with the extra variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
I'm sorry about the technical difficulties. I think our production team has resolved the issue now...

**TAP TAP ***
[screeching form the mike]
[steps back and covers ears]

**TAP TAP ***
[tentative]

**TAP ***

We're good now...

Chad asked me for an exclusive trait that he could sell on the BGG Store. Gigantism is that trait. It is not included in Promo Pack III which means it will NOT be sent to our Kickstarter backers. Gigantism was tested fairly extensively back in 2013 and 2014. It's a great card, but we wanted to have the fewest number of cards in Evolution because we did not want to overwhelm new players. Climate, Evolution, and Flight work spectacularly without the trait, so don't think you need the trait to fix something. But it's a good one. So get it if you think your group will have fun with the extra variety.

Dominic,

I assume it is like the other promo cards in that if you plan on using it, you should remove something else, correct?

And if so, any suggestion to what to remove?

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gigantism is mostly a defensive / aggressive card so I would remove something like Climbing. Don't remove Fat Tissue since there are good synergies with this and Fat Tissue, other than that, anything should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Gigantism is mostly a defensive / aggressive card so I would remove something like Climbing. Don't remove Fat Tissue since there are good synergies with this and Fat Tissue, other than that, anything should be fine.

How about the food/climate symbols? I'm assuming the promo is 7 copies of the trait with different values? What trait in Climate share the same food/symbols?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciffy wrote:
I thought it was a promo that was going to be available with the kickstarter, but looking at the campaign page, I don't see any reference to this card. Will backers receive a copy or do we need to buy it here?

Hoping for an official reply from Dom or someone from North Star. =/

Thanks for the heads up!
Ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
domcrap wrote:

How about the food/climate symbols? I'm assuming the promo is 7 copies of the trait with different values? What trait in Climate share the same food/symbols?

Not sure, but you're not looking at it the same way I do. Having a different food distribution will change the environment. That's part of the change you should expect from a promo card. It changes the environment in two ways: 1) through the trait and 2) through the food values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
DUDE.. I HELP MAKE THAT CARD!!!!
Source
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
DUDE.. I HELP MAKE THAT CARD!!!!
Source

And it's a great card!

I hope you don't feel like we've pulled the rug from under you. We tested this card extensively in 2013 and 2014. Your submission was one of the versions we had actually tested. In the end, we settled upon the current version in this card, which is why we modified your submission a little.

It is not uncommon for us to receive submissions of cards we've already tested when you've tested as many options as we have. In fact, it happens all the time. But it feels like it would be rude to post that on KS every time it happens and it would reduce the engagement of our backers. So we just run with it. There's no reason to take away someone's excitement of creating a great card just because we had a development team that thought of it several years earlier when we were working 8 hours a day on creating cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course not. I am buying a copy to show people.

Evolution having a basis in natural progression means the ideas should come up repeatedly. We understand how/why thigs happen. So the implementation is a logical step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if we dont replace another card, and just have it all??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedArmyIan wrote:
The most critical thing that this will do is reduce the percentage of Carnivore cards in the game, which can pretty dramatically change the flow of the game. If Carnivores become less of a threat, omnivores do not have to worry so much about defense and can concentrate more on food consumption. Which is great as long as high-value food cards keep getting thrown into the Watering Hole, but when the number of species outstrips the food supply, you're going to end up losing a lot of population from starvation.

The more cards are in the deck, the longer the game gets extended as well.

I certainly don't think it's going to "break" anything, though, to have more cards in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedArmyIan wrote:

You could, but I'm not sure why you'd want to. Just because you love breakfast salmon omelettes, Guinness, clam chowder, and fresh peach pie doesn't mean you should mix it all together! We've spent thousands of man hours over many years crafting the game balance, and I don't think the right approach at this point is to mix all the ingredients together and expect a good experience.

But if you want to experiment then go ahead. Sometimes you'll stumble on a great mix and other times the experience will be a little dull. Just make sure everyone else at the table knows they are not playing the actual game. I get frustrated when people post negative opinions about Evolution only to find their main beef was with promo cards that were not good enough to make it into the boxed version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.