Hide
6 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: A couple of deck ideas from a novice [Deck two] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Burns
msg tools
So, the last deck description turned out to be plodding and circuitous, with the philosophy of the deck evolving even as I wrote it. Sorry about that. I hope this one will be better.

Deck Two: [Future],Past, Peace
Basic Idea here is really just that Peace loves battle suits, with a sub-theme that both Knight of the conclave and Overeager cadet both cost zero. Seer, meanwhile, costs only one and speeds up Knight. This is pretty awesome value that should (hopefully) let you tech up quickly. Both the past spec and the Peace spec synergize well with repeatedly playing cheap units. Thoughts on game-flow go something like this:
Early game:
Play workers, Tech up, play Tinkerer, nullcraft, and Hardened Mox (if possible). Tech in 2 overeager cadet, 1 KotC, and 1 Seer/Brave Knight.

Tech I:
Play battle suits and units as you get them (save Seer until KotC is out). This plus workers might hurt your draw, but I think the investment should be worth it. It's more card-safe, but more expensive to run Brave knight vs Seer. In any case your goal before tech II should simply be to survive and defend yourself, and any aggressive action should be carefully considered. If you do feel you need more threat, consider summoning Vir and leveling to max as quickly as possible. This gives you a 3/5 to defend for now and a 6/7 coming soon, and you should be able to afford it as early as turn 3 or 4, since you're saving so much on unit costs. Seer, tinkerer and time spiral can bring it in faster, if necessary. Alternately, you can play Prynn, which opens up temporal research as a possible answer to potential card shortages, along with past magic to neutralize your opponent's threats. In any case, you want to tech up (choosing Peace), and possibly build tech lab (choosing Past). There's actually a few approaches here, and the nice thing is that all of your tech units are useful in different situations, and they're all buffed by battle suits.

Tech II:
A couple of different approaches here. The first is to play 2 Air hammers and go straight for your opponent's base. The +1 from battle suits means that Air hammer does 6 damage to a damaged building. That's ridiculous. 1 General's hammer + 3 swings air hammers is 21 dmg. In fact, if you can sneak in a couple damage with nullcraft, you don't even need GH. The second is to Tech lab into past and combine Slow time generator and Flagstone Garrison (Followed, of course by Drill Seargent) with your free and cheap units. Might be worth playing one of your Vortoss heroes here to allow time spirals to speed up your KotC's, Past Tech II units also synergize well with the FG/DS/STG combo, allowing you to truly spam your powerful units, while your opponent is hindered by lack of gold. In any case the hope is that you were able to achieve tech II on the cheap and have some gold saved up to really explode when you hit it. Hopefully this is timed with the arrival of a KotC, which is fortunate, because the rest of your stuff is likely dead due to your frugal early game.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peace with the Purple starter is strong, for the reasons you've stated. There are a lot of gameplans you could build around that basic setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are already mentioning Purple Starter and Peace and haven't mentioned that, I want to point out that Hardened Mox will not lose +1/+1 runes placed on it with Boot Camp even if it "dies". That combo turns Mox from a above-average defensive unit into an insane killing machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Burns
msg tools
Zejety wrote:
Since you are already mentioning Purple Starter and Peace and haven't mentioned that, I want to point out that Hardened Mox will not lose +1/+1 runes placed on it with Boot Camp even if it "dies". That combo turns Mox from a above-average defensive unit into an insane killing machine.

Neat. Is this worth delaying tech II, in your opinion? I was thinking of this Codex as one that wanted to get to tech II as quickly as possible, by being economical on defensive spending. This seems like it would require getting the most out of early defensive powerhouses like Mox and Nullcraft.

Boot Camp-ing Mox seems to run counter to this idea. It gets sidelined for a turn, meaning I have to devote other resources to defense. Meanwhile, rushing tech II means I get fewer turns of value out of the now powered-up Mox. I suppose I could use Mox to attack, hopefully reducing my opponent's board presence, and then Boot Camp it. Certainly worth thinking about, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
payprplayn wrote:
Zejety wrote:

Neat. Is this worth delaying tech II, in your opinion? I was thinking of this Codex as one that wanted to get to tech II as quickly as possible, by being economical on defensive spending. This seems like it would require getting the most out of early defensive powerhouses like Mox and Nullcraft.

Boot Camp-ing Mox seems to run counter to this idea. It gets sidelined for a turn, meaning I have to devote other resources to defense. Meanwhile, rushing tech II means I get fewer turns of value out of the now powered-up Mox. I suppose I could use Mox to attack, hopefully reducing my opponent's board presence, and then Boot Camp it. Certainly worth thinking about, though.

Boot-camp Mox works well with a Flagstone Garrison strategy. Mox only prohibits T2 units so you can play Garrisons at your leisure. Since they benefit from playing cheap T0 and T0 units anyway it works pretty well.

You'll lose out on the Drill Seargeant part of the combo though, but you can always decide to transition into that and sacrifice your Mox.

The mox plan really doesn't require that much commitment. Boot Camp is a great card on its own (optional use of sidelining patrollers!) that costs just 1 gold and replaces itself. Pumping mox twice already makes it into the card that the game revolves around; boosting it 4 times makes it borderline absurd.
Of course, make sure your opponent's codex doesn't have a way to deal with it (e.g. Undo).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zejety wrote:
Pumping mox twice already makes it into the card that the game revolves around; boosting it 4 times makes it borderline absurd.

Well, it just turns it into an Immortal, effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.