Support:

David Foy
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb

The title says it all.

I know it is very subjective but Is this game worth buying just for coop play with the RTL app?

I have read some reviews that people have posted but not sure. I am on the fence and I know that it will never get played with the overlord in my small group unfortunately.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Descent 2e and it really fell flat for our group. The Road To Legend app has really given it new life. There's exploration again, which was missing from the original, and playing full co-op is just more fun overall. I'd give it a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto what Jason just said. I've just played it 4 nights in a row with my wife. It's a hit with us with the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use it with RTL. Very happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought the game specifically to play with the Road to Legend app. I've played a half dozen session that way and I don't really regret spending the money, in fact I've bought the Labyrinth of Ruin expansion to go with it.

That's kind of where I became disappointed though. All I got from the expansion was new characters and classes, the new monsters and tiles haven't come up yet. It feels like I spent the expansion cost just for the new playable characters, while those are a nice addition its not worth what I paid.

The big limiting factor of Road to Legend in my opinion is the lack of campaigns. The ones they have are fun, but there's only 2 so it's not hard for you to get bored with the story bits and click through them just to play the quests which are nicely randomized each playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the 1st edition but do not have a group to play it with (mostly scheduling, I do know people who played it and loved it). So I bought 2e just so I could play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes, yes. The app made Descent fly off the shelves, which is pretty remarkable for a game this late into its cycle (that doesn't have a tournament scene like Xwing). They will be doing more app content for sure. Other campaigns are undoubtedly being designed or play tested right now. In fact, my bet is that all future development will have the app primarily in mind.
Get it. You won't regret it.
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AI overlord variants by Redjak are good for boosting the value of the boxed expansions. They aren't as convenient to use as RTL for co-op play, but you can play through the expansion campaigns with them. Takes the sting out of the price for expanding RTL.

Edit: Check the files section for Descent 2e
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
flag msg tools
I just picked it up about a week ago. I really do enjoy it, I play it solo exclusively (currently). However, there are some things I do take issue with, but to warn you, I have only had the game for about a week and could very well be misunderstanding something:

The app doesn't allow you to undo things if you make a mistake. I find myself often forgetting about being poisoned, or having extra health and KO-ing myself before I remember.

The rest of these complaints you really can ignore in-game, or not tell the game something happened, but I would prefer to have an option to change in the game instead of just neglecting the app for some things:

The difficulty for the game seems to jump drastically with the Peril system. The peril I think is a great idea, but the game seems to start it too soon and to heavy. I find myself getting bad rolls sometimes and having enemies spawn at the end of the round and the peril either doing heavy damage or spawning even more guys. It seems to be overwhelming too quickly. Of course, you can ignore this, but I don't want to "cheat" my games either.

The overwhelming things ties into the small amount of KOs you get before the mission fails. Sometimes with the game working so hard against you, guys die too easily. This also goes along with making any mistake, you cannot take it back.

The missions where you have a certain amount of turns before it fails only lets you know when you are left with two turns. Would be nice to have some notice at the beginning of the mission. Even those with no "limits" but an increasingly impossible peril makes it extremely difficult to have your characters rest or heal after a fight, if there is even ever a break. Most of the game is spent running if you can (dragon tracking mission puts two opposing limits on you, but that is a different story).

I bought an expansion box and have yet to see a side mission incorporate any of the board pieces.

Overall, these things do get very frustrating, but other than those the game is really fantastic. I could reduce my frustration by ignoring the app sometimes, but I really do not like cheating. And while the boards from the expansion have not come up yet, the monsters from that and the two monster and hero packs I got have all been used quite a few times. I think if the game increased the challenge by adding more monsters and "puzzles" instead of making it feel like a dungeon "running" game, it would be that much better.

I think with other friends it may work out much better than solo. I only run two characters at a time, but 4 may make things much easier. I do plan on playing with others at some point, but I am really happy just playing it solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
yes!
I have played many dungeon delving type board games, and RTL is better than
Descent 1
Pathfinder card game
Shadows over Brimstone
Warhammer quest card game
Dungeons and dragons board game system

I can only imagine how amazing this game could have been if they had designed it from the ground up as a coop game (ditto for mansions of madness)... so much stuff is not used if only played coop, but the pvp version is very unpleasant for most gaming groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
flag msg tools
mateooo wrote:
yes!
I have played many dungeon delving type board games, and RTL is better than

Shadows over Brimstone

They should come out with an app for Shadows of Brimstone like RtL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solstice tide
msg tools
100% yes friends and family are all loving the app add in a few big box expansions and it gets better and better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Foy
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds like I should just pick up a copy. Thanks for all the comments, Looking forward to playing with out and overlord soon.

Now if they can only release an app like this for Imperial Assault then I can play both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.