Morocco Mole
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For the card: UNSCR 2118.

Event has:

1) "Play in Syria if marked". I'm having trouble in figuring out what the "marked" event is; can anyone help?

2) It also states:
- "If Ally, Remove any unavailable WMDs there from the game"
- "if Neutral or Adversary, Remove 1 Unavailable WMD there from the game, if possible"

Both seem to be the same as "there" = Syria and to me, "any" = "1". "Any" I believe would make a difference if WMDs counters are different, which I don't they are.

Just inquiring if anyone has insight if there is a difference. There has to be some reason both situations are listed out.

Thanks!

MMole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't address 1 as I don't have the expansion - yet (COME ON USPS!!!)

however...

Quote:
2) It also states:
- "If Ally, Remove any unavailable WMDs there from the game"
- "if Neutral or Adversary, Remove 1 Unavailable WMD there from the game, if possible"

"any" in the first part literally means any wmds that fit the criteria of being unavailable - from 1 to however many there can be.

the second part specifically says "Remove 1 Unavailable WMD" so yes, only 1 unavailable wmd - regardless of how many there actually are (assuming there's at least one or more).

Quote:
"Any" I believe would make a difference if WMDs counters are different, which I don't they are.

WMD's aren't different but there usually are more than one that starts in a country (see: Pakistan). So, in this case, say there are three WMDs in Syria to start the game (or after an event, if the case may be). They start off unavailable but become available by events. So as an example, if all were unavailable and you pulled this card: if Syria is an Ally - all three would be removed. If Syria is Neutral or Adversary, only one of the three would be removed.

again, don't have the expansion - yet (COME ON USPS!!!) but that would be consistent to the Base game's rule set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rosenberg
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syria is considered "marked" if it has been assigned a Governance marker, either through the course of play or during setup (I haven't gotten my copy of Awakening yet, either).

Relevant sections from the base game rulebook:

3.2 Set Up
Set up markers, troops, and sleeper cells as listed in the scenario.
(Many countries start unmarked until tested during play, 4.9.4.)

4.9.4 Initial Tests. Roll for Governance (if a Muslim country)
or Posture (if a non-Muslim country) whenever a country whose
Governance or Posture is not yet marked (an “unmarked” country)
is selected as:
• the locale or target of an operation (including a failed Travel
operation, 8.3.2), or
• has a cell or plot placed in it by an event, or
• is subject to “test” by event text.
An Initial Test of Governance always results in an Alignment of Neutral.
(A Regime Change Governance roll results in an Ally, 7.3.4.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Great answers guys! One slight clarification. Syria starts with 2 WMD. So if "marked" as described above, then the event would be playable, and if Ally, both WMD would be removed. If Neutral or Adversary, only 1 would be removed.

Don't forget to increase US Prestige by +1 for each WMD so removed (11.3.1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.