Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stoffey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
To the Mountain!
mbmbmbmbmb
After having owned and played the first edition of the Front series for many years, I updated to the second edition in August. A friend and I were eager to get it on the table and began the entire war from 1939 the day after it came in the mail.

I took the Axis, he took the Allies. Poland fell quickly and I began the build up against Scandinavia and France. Meanwhile, his Soviets ripped through Finland in no time. The Soviets declined armistice (one of the Allies' salient mistakes we decided on in the post-game review) and took over Finland in no time. I was not too happy about that. Either way, the fall of Finland got Sweden into the war surprisingly quick and my German Northern vets with the Swedes made dispatching Norway quite easy, although the Brits did send over a few blocks to defend the Norwegian shoreline.

The assault of France... This was my biggest mistake in the game. It went horrendously for me. It took me TWO MONTHS to demoralize the French, and all the 5+6 attack French armies took serious tolls on my Germans. For a fortnight I thought I may not take France! However, on the sixth fortnight of the attack a well-timed German blitz gave me the punch to Paris I needed, and suddenly the French began to evaporate. Ironically, the last city to fall in France/Low Countries was Brussels! Ultimately, I declined armistice as I had effectively cut off all Frenchmen from making it to England, so I thought why not?

After the French invasion Italy entered the war and my next goal was Malta, which fell in very quick order. After the disaster of France I figured I couldn't get creative in the Mediterranean, but I thought I'd take the shot at Malta and it fell in two turns! Meanwhile Greece had preemptively joined the allies before Yugoslavia was occupied. While the rough terrain and chance to build up the Greek mountain units proved an unpleasant prospect the Allied player was too entranced with the prospect of brave Greeks bogging down the mighty panzers in the hills and streets of Athens. Committing two full strength UK Med Front veterans to Greece left the canal zone dangerously undefended.

Instead of charging ahead with Greece, the Italians and a couple Germans I sent south took Alexandria and pushed to the canal. This starved out the Greeks and put me quite ahead of schedule! Well, with the dreary winter months on the Eastern Front, I had time to push quick and hard in the Mediterranean until Barbarossa could open up (plus, I had a lot of units that needed to be built up before the assault on Russia could begin). Well, in the summer of 1941 I pushed to Basra and Rostov (although I never made it within three hexes of Leningrad. An in-depth defense in the forests of Northern Russia is a very tough nut to crack!)

The winter of 1941 saw the Soviets make serious gains with well played Shock armies. I never made it close to Moscow or Leningrad, but I had pushed and taken Rostov, so I held defiantly in the south while I waited for my Med units to make it to the Caucasus. I managed to take Karachi and Casablanca in the winter and with that sealed the fate of the entire Mediterranean front. I began to build up on the Caucasus border of Russia and to my surprise, the Turks joined the war to help my assault! However, in the last month of snow, disaster struck as the Russians cut off my Rostov front by assaulting Stalino and adjacent hexes. This hurt eight blocks, two of which were HQs! I quickly got them back in supply but the damage had been done. I was concerned about the summer.

However, in June 1942 nothing short of a miracle happened! I blitzed outside Rostov and managed to cut off a dozen Soviet units, two of which were HQs! Due to the lack of railroads east of Rostov,there was no way the Soviets were going to get that pocket back in supply and the collapse of the Russian Caucus Front was imminent--I was two hexes from Baku and he had few forces remaining down there. At this point, he saw the writing on the wall and surrender to the Wehrmacht.

A couple lessons learned:
Mare Nostrum almost makes the North African campaign a sure win for the Axis powers. It is extremely powerful in a front where every PP makes a world of difference.

Always accept Finland armistice as the Soviets. Having the Swedes join the game is just too big a problem.

Greece cannot be saved – historically this worked out poorly, and did so in this game as well.

As the French, make sure you always have a well defended supply path to a port. If the Germans can manage to cut off a large majority of the French army, they'll never accept the armistice, and we felt the armistice was much more important for the Allies than the Axis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Nice session report !

How long did it take to play this ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stoffey
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
To the Mountain!
mbmbmbmbmb
It took the course of a month meeting a night or two a week. I'd say probably 7 sessions. Each session was 2-5 hours depending on available time so I would say about 20-25 hours total.

Plus there was a lot of looking up rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Thank you for taking the trouble to post the AAR.
Interesting game, lots of non-standard twists.
Well done.

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very fun session report! I need to get this back on the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.