$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.9% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When you draw cards at the end of your turn, are they drawn 1 at a time, or both at once? If you draw an epidemic and an event, can you play the event before resolving the epidemic, even if the epidemic was the first card?

^ I realize this question really pertains to normal Pandemic, but I'm not sure if there's any differences here.

2. The starting rulebook says that a city can later become "isolated", and if it is completely cut off from other cities, then when it would get 4th cube, you don't increase the outbreak counter. I think it says though that you still increase the panic level of the city. Does a player in that city still receive a scar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
1. When you draw cards at the end of your turn, are they drawn 1 at a time, or both at once? If you draw an epidemic and an event, can you play the event before resolving the epidemic, even if the epidemic was the first card?

^ I realize this question really pertains to normal Pandemic, but I'm not sure if there's any differences here.

2. The starting rulebook says that a city can later become "isolated", and if it is completely cut off from other cities, then when it would get 4th cube, you don't increase the outbreak counter. I think it says though that you still increase the panic level of the city. Does a player in that city still receive a scar?

1. You draw both at once and if you draw an Epidemic, you resolve it immediately. Only after resolving the Epidemic (but before the Infect step) can you play the event, unless specifically allowed otherwise in the event text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Davies
United States
Newberg
Or
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. A card must be fully resolved before an Event card is played. The two cards get drawn simultaneously, but the epidemic card gets resolved immediately (no opportunity to play an Event card). However, you can definitely play your event after resolving the Epidemic steps, but before moving onto the infection step. I'm trying to think of a specific funded event that might be beneficial to play before resolving the Epidemic, but can't think of any. I suppose you could blindly guess a city to remove cubes using Remote Treatment, but that Event would be better served between resolving the Epidemic card and Infection.

2. I have tried to find an official answer to this and couldn't quite find anything. I would say that if the city didn't outbreak (the outbreak marker did not move), then the character would not get a scar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
nomercyrider wrote:
1. A card must be fully resolved before an Event card is played. The two cards get drawn simultaneously, but the epidemic card gets resolved immediately (no opportunity to play an Event card). However, you can definitely play your event after resolving the Epidemic steps, but before moving onto the infection step. I'm trying to think of a specific funded event that might be beneficial to play before resolving the Epidemic, but can't think of any. I suppose you could blindly guess a city to remove cubes using Remote Treatment, but that Event would be better served between resolving the Epidemic card and Infection.

2. I have tried to find an official answer to this and couldn't quite find anything. I would say that if the city didn't outbreak (the outbreak marker did not move), then the character would not get a scar.

Regarding #1, nomercyrider is correct.
One Quiet Night is an example of an event card that you might want to play after an epidemic but before resolving the Infect step.

Regarding #2, there are no rules that prevent the scar in this case.

The following is a minor spoiler that explains the thematic rationale:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Thematically, the city is still suffers: players get scars, panic level increases, but since the city is "isolated" the outbreaks in it do not increment the outbreak track since the outbreak is not negatively affecting the city's neighbors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A related question came up tonight. At the end of my action phase, I had 7 cards, 3 were red. Red had levels 1-3 mutations, so it only needed 4 cards to cure, and didn't cost an action to cure. I drew 2 cards, 1 was red. Can I immediately/instantly cure red, thus being below hand limit? Or did I have to first discard 2 cards to get to the hand limit, and then cure red after?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
A related question came up tonight. At the end of my action phase, I had 7 cards, 3 were red. Red had levels 1-3 mutations, so it only needed 4 cards to cure, and didn't cost an action to cure. I drew 2 cards, 1 was red. Can I immediately/instantly cure red, thus being below hand limit? Or did I have to first discard 2 cards to get to the hand limit, and then cure red after?

First discard, then cure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:

First discard, then cure.

Is there a rule that makes this clear? I know that it's only a special rule that allows you to play events (it says specifically to discard cards or play events until you are at your hand limit). But the real question is about how that mutation works. We've always thought of it as "the moment a player gets the required number of cards of that color in hand, the disease is immediately cured". Is this an incorrect thinking on it? I don't think the rules are specific on that point; all it says is that an action is not required to cure the disease, and that it can happen on any turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't an explicit rule that covers it, but it's one of the official rulings that has been made.

The key idea appears to be that discarding to hand-limit is part of the action of gaining cards rather than a separate one - there's an explicit exception to allow you to interrupt it by playing an Event rather than discarding it, but that doesn't cover curing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's not as clear as it could be, but it implies that you shouldn't do anything else until you're done discarding.

p15 of the rulebook, under Hand Limit:

If you ever have more than 7 cards in hand (after first resolving any
Epidemic cards you may have drawn), discard cards or play Event cards
until you have 7 cards in hand (see Event Cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.