Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Grimslingers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule Questions - Contains Spoilers through Chapter Three rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Great game. I haven't played much of the versus, but I've been playing through the co-op variant and like it a lot. I do have a few rule questions for anyone out there who knows. I know there are some videos out there, but I haven't been able to watch them yet.

In no particular order.

1. When you continue from one chapter to another keeping the same character and cards, do cards that are discarded or deactivated at the end of the final section, go back into you hand at the start of the next chapter?

2. If a card/story element forces you to discard (not deactivate) cards from your hand or stash, and those cards are items, not spells, do you lose them?

3. If one player is defeated in co-op, but the other survives and wins the duel, what health does that defeated player come back to if any? I assume the answer is according to difficulty, which brings me to the second question which is if the defeated players EP is higher than the revival EP does your EP drop to that point or stay where it is?

4. The final boss for the third chapter does not have any EP listed for his starting stats. Is this correct? He has HP, but no EP?

5. For the Revenant, what happens if they are defeated by a card with a lower RN number than their item/spell but they have enough EP to survive the end of the round? Does their card take effect? Is it discarded or deactivated.

6. For a Revenant fighting with an Anima - The anima can gain EP by passing ever turn. The anima can give EP to the Revenant. The Revenant can only die then if an enemy can manage to drain the Revenant's EP to zero and do damage on the same turn - which is nearly impossible with the Anima feeding EP every turn. (This might just be a comment, but if it seems like I'm missing a rule here that should stop this, let me know.)

7. If only a single player is defeated in a co-op game, does this count against the total number of defeats allowed? In other words, could a four player co-op lose in a single fight if three of the four players are defeated, but the fourth one wins the fight?

8. For chapter three's story element where you have to draw four number cards - does the Devil's Deck passive spend health to DNC again count towards that number or not?

9. For Quick Modifier (play two cards) - if enemy plays Hide and another card with a higher RN than hide, what happens to the second card?

10. If a enemy's attack cards said DNC but included the divisions of 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 - was this supposed to be a roll the dice? I think this was a Witch King's card, but I can't remember and can't look it up right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you are enjoying the game!

1. When you say "final section" what do you mean? The last "part" of a chapter before starting the next chapter?

Either way, this is an error on my part, at least for chapter 3. It should say put deactivated and discarded cards back in your hand. You do NOT need to do that for chapter 4, and Chapter 2 DOES tell you to do that.

2. Yes. However, for story/events, you do not need to discard the item if the item has "do not discard" written on it.

3. If defeated, you revive to exactly what it states in the Difficulty section of the rulebook (lowering EP if needed).

4. That's a misprint, corrected in the 2nd edition of the game. His EP is the same as his HP.

5. The revenant's ability states that they can only revive at the END of the Aftermath phase, and the rulebook states that if you are defeated before your card resolves, it will not be resolved. The revenant's card is deactivated. (this is clarified in the 2nd edition of the rulebook you can DL on BGG).

6. Playing as an Anima has been removed from the game (see the 2nd edition of the rulebook). However, this is a good point that never came up in playtesting. Honestly I don't think the Revenant would make much if any headway, as most creature attacks are way faster than spells. You'd die again before you could get a spell off, eventually you'd run out of spells and EP to reload them, or items. It'd take a long time to kill you, but I think the revenant would die in the end. Though, it's not NOT possible for the revenant to survive with the right cards. Did this come up in your play-throughs?

7. Anytime you're defeated it counts against the allotted defeats (except revenants reviving themselves in a duel), so if you've only got 3 defeats allotted to your team and 3 die but 1 survives, it's still game over.

8. The ignored card (devil's deck FX) doesn't count towards the total.

9. You still resolve the 2nd card.

10. Yep, Witch King "Fire and Brimstone", that's a typo, should not have a 6 on there. Good catch!

Hope that answers them for ya, if not, let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1. Yes, that is what I meant so that answers that.

2. The place this question came up was with the Dune Worm Spasm attack where when you pay EP you discard your cards. Elemental spells get discarded to your discard pile, but if you had played an item like witchcrafted rifle, does it go to your hand or discard pile? In other words, which rule text trumps? This text conflict also comes up in several event cards (behemuth and sandstorm for example).

5. The problem for us was that the Revenant's card says you must expend EP for HP OR be defeated, implying that if you spend EP for HP you aren't defeated - which is obviously true for counting player defeats but felt weird for deciding whether you still got to attack. Ultimately, we decided that didn't make sense so we played that you didn't get to attack. The next question was what happened to your cards, and we decided to deactivate rather than discard.

6. I'm sad about the Anima removal. I liked it, and so we'll continue to play through are first campaign that way. RIP. And yes it did come up. There's only two of us, I'm playing a Whitchborn and the other person is Revenant. I died fairly early on in a Dune Worm fight where the Dune Worm was Gigantic (combination Spasm and poor timing for immolate plus bad roles). Since I had most of my spell cards still in hand, I was able to feed her EP the whole fight. I think she 'died' three times. Also, she has a lot of item cards with high RN at this point so doing damage first wasn't a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
2. I think I get your confusion here. Cards that say "do not discard" are never discarded if used by you. But fire (and maybe one or two creature cards) that say "foe must discard X amount of cards" WILL still cause "do not discard" cards to discard.

Dang that was wordy, let me know if you understood!

5. I get what you're saying, very good point. You guys played it right, so good call.

6. The Anima feature was neat, and worked, but ultimately I just felt like it was more for players to learn and made it too easy to survive.

Hope you're having fun, regardless of some confusions! Have you beat the campaign yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For item cards, in general I think I understand. For the Dune Worm Spasm attack card specifically, it says discard unresolved cards. Does that mean if you've played an item card for your attack, and you choose to pay EP you do not discard it because it was played by you (and therefore beats the discard text of the other card) but if a card tells you to discard cards in general or items at any other times, you would discard it to the item pile. In short, if you've played it to attack a creature, a 'discard' rule will put it back in your hand. Otherwise, a 'discard' rule will put it in the item pile.

If only I could play that often. We only get enough time to play about once a week or more. Still I should say that my girlfriend also really likes the game. She said if there were every any additional stories put out for co-op I should buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a good way of putting it!

Glad you and your girlfriend enjoyed it! I do plan on producing much more content

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.