Subject: Improving the first mate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Zhang
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
Anyone have fun ways to increase the role of the first mate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could set up the screens so that the captain can't look at the first mate's board or the engineer's. The first mate will have more autonomy and be the mini-boss of the engineer. The Captain and he will need better communication as well to achieve short-term and long-term goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Your First Mate should have enough to do working closely with the Engineer to get systems online. The First Mate will tell you when systems are ready. His player mat is the least complex, but don't be deceived as his role is not the least complex. He's the Captain's "right hand man", literally.

If you find that your First Mate is bored and hasn't enough to do, it means your Captain is trying to do too much. The Captain's role is to call all the shots, but the First Mate's responsibility is to coordinate all the action. He's sitting between the Captain and the Engineer for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Zhang
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
I wasn't asking whether the first mate "has enough to do"... and I'm not "deceived" by anything. I'm looking for variant ways to play the game, in the appropriate forum. What's wrong with that? Does it make you feel smart posting replies that obstruct the OP's question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't forget the FM is allowed to activate Sonar/Drones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
Well, when you say whether there are "fun ways to increase the role of the first mate", it sort of seems to imply that you think the first mate doesn't have much to do and you want to a variant to make it more fun and involved. The response I think was just to address that misconception. Maybe you should clarify what you actually mean by "increase the role of the first mate"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cim2phat4u wrote:
Anyone have fun ways to increase the role of the first mate?

If he has done a good job as First Mate: Promote him to Captain for the next game. It is a big challenge for everyone if the tasks are changed frequently on board of a submarine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Zhang
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
Nobody in my group likes to play first mate - the nature of the role doesn't appeal to us as much as the other roles. This is not to say the first mate doesn't have enough to do. We just agree the role is less fun to play. So, I was asking for suggestions on how to spice up that particular role is all - perhaps by increasing the options available to it. It's not helpful when I come asking for variant suggestions and someone responds essentially by saying a variant is unnecessary and that we're just playing the game wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have said before elsewhere in this Forum: The game experience depends a lot on the personalities of the players. The role of the First Mate never was an issue during my games.

No one should accuse you that you and your pals are playing the game wrong. It has nothing to do with “playing it wrong/playing it right”. It only has to do with which personalities have gathered around the playing table.

Maybe you should ask your First Mate about his suggestions to increase the responsibility of his station. Let your pals be actively involved in the “shaping” of their roles. Give it a try. Let them collaborate in developing their roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cim2phat4u wrote:
someone responds essentially by saying a variant is unnecessary and that we're just playing the game wrong.
I think you've inferred malice where none was intended. Take it as a suggestion for how to play first mate so maximize the fun. And if you've tried it and don't like it, then ask for more suggestions.
You'll encourage more suggestions from a hearty discussion, even if you don't like the initial ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love this game, and my friends who have played it liked it as well.

Every one have played all roles. People like different roles. Sometime you want to have a more relaxing role and sometime a more demanding role. Becouse you play the game maybe 4 times in a row you get to play all roles. SO in that way its really not a problem. Becouse having the first mates little more relaxing role can be nice.

But that said, I wouldent mind some kind of improvement to the First mates role. BUt on the top ov my head I dont now what it could be.

Im certain when the game gets more played by more and more people, there will come up with some really neat ideas

And I cant wait for more maps and all kind of expansion goodies that might come

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Denning
msg tools
The first thing that comes to mind is handing off control of all system activations to First Mate. Captain is in charge of planning and navigating, but the First Mate is in charge of executing the plan, and coordinating the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Yum
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
McBehrer wrote:
The first thing that comes to mind is handing off control of all system activations to First Mate. Captain is in charge of planning and navigating, but the First Mate is in charge of executing the plan, and coordinating the others.

I was thinking of something like this, with the Captain issuing the order, but must be executed by the First Mate. It's not exactly the plot of Crimson Tide, so don't get hung up on it. But the idea is the potential for internal conflict between Captain and First Officer, while you are real time fighting your opponent, could be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.