Hide
5 Posts

GMT COIN Series» Forums » General

Subject: Suggest me a coin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
Hi. I recently discover this series and I think me an my group will like it.
I've read that the gateway game is cl.
I've also read that in ADP there is less diplomacy and it's more streamlined because government and coalition are somewhat forced to work together.
We usually play some mainstream Heavy games like 1830 FCM or dominant species.

My question is since I can find whole 3 AdP cl or fs in Italy,
I don't like much the theme in CL, I'm somewhat afraid of what I have read of the streamlined diplomacy in adp.

But I like very much the adp theme.

What I will lose if I start, as first game, with a distant plain? Saying that I believe my group can handle a little more difficulty?
It's the diplomacy issue true?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mirror
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Stefano1234 wrote:
Hi. I recently discover this series and I think me an my group will like it.
I've read that the gateway game is cl.
I've also read that in ADP there is less diplomacy and it's more streamlined because government and coalition are somewhat forced to work together.
We usually play some mainstream Heavy games like 1830 FCM or dominant species.

My question is since I can find whole 3 AdP cl or fs in Italy,
I don't like much the theme in CL, I'm somewhat afraid of what I have read of the streamlined diplomacy in adp.

But I like very much the adp theme.

What I will lose if I start, as first game, with a distant plain? Saying that I believe my group can handle a little more difficulty?
It's the diplomacy issue true?
Thanks

As far as "difficulty" I'm sure that you'll be fine with ADP, but I find that Falling Sky has the clearest agendas. The difficulty in game play has more to do with why you should do an action rather than how you chose an action. Because of this I find the clarity in FS to be an easier transition into the system yet it is still very deep once you start to understand the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mirror
United States
New York
flag msg tools
That said, the general opinion that whichever theme appeals to you most is a good entry point is probably appropriate here. All of the COIN games that I've played (all but Andyean Abyss and Fire in the Lake) are extremely interesting and enjoyable. I feel like the themes are mostly cool opportunities to learn new things about history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imo - Theme is a very large factor.

I bought Andean Abyss as my first COIN and it didnt go down well. I had zero interest in the theme and that made it more difficult to learning, as I couldnt wrap my head around the factions and their 'real' life worth.

In the end I sold Andean and bought Falling Sky - love that game !! and was easier to get into as it was more thematic in that I could relate to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the list of games that your group plays, you can play any of them. I do really like CL but don't get it if the theme doesn't appeal to you. I LOVE Liberty or Death but you probably can't get that now where you live. And the American Revolution might not be interesting to you.

The one bit of advice I will give is to get your group to commit to at least 2 or 3 plays of the game before they make any final opinions about the game. COIN games are actually not that complicated and there aren't a lot of rules. But it can take some time to get a feel for what you really want to do strategically.

By comparison, with twilight struggle, I think I understood the main idea of TS in about half of one play. (Now I wasn't very good, but I quickly grokked the system and I could see what I needed to do, and roughly how I could do it.) But even after I knew how to play Cuba Libre, it wasn't until my 3rd play or so when I started to see how everything fit together. Then I grew to really love the game.

And COIN games really shine when everybody at the table really knows the game and you get table talk, negotiations, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.