$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Roads & Boats» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 Questions before game in a few hours (goods and building on river) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just have two quick questions (I'm sure I'll have many more *after* my first game!

Playing just vanilla R&B (no expansion stuff) - it looks like the *goods* are used to either create research, or better goods - or for the wonder.

If they're used *for* the wonder - there's no functional difference between the goods. Trading in one gold or trading in one boards ... same benefit (if used for the wonder) - and I know you probably wouldn't trade the gold, since it's VP -- but I picked something *big*

Second question - legitimate though.

In the (3rd edition?) rule book - page 14 -- there's a section on "building" and an example.

There are two rafts on a shoreline - and the rules say "both rafts could build a wall in the spaces marked "F" (1 stone). Because of the river, they cannot build in stretch G, unless they first build a bridge.

Why is that? I thought- since rafts could traverse the river, they don't *need* a bridge - and thus, they could build on either side.

If they're not *on* the river (but docked), do they actually have access to all the land hexsides on the side of the river, where they're docked?

That confused me -- most everything else was fairly clear

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
So, I just have two quick questions (I'm sure I'll have many more *after* my first game!

Playing just vanilla R&B (no expansion stuff) - it looks like the *goods* are used to either create research, or better goods - or for the wonder.

If they're used *for* the wonder - there's no functional difference between the goods. Trading in one gold or trading in one boards ... same benefit (if used for the wonder) - and I know you probably wouldn't trade the gold, since it's VP -- but I picked something *big*

Correct, goods are used up when contributed to building the wonder.

Lemur wrote:
Second question - legitimate though.

In the (3rd edition?) rule book - page 14 -- there's a section on "building" and an example.

There are two rafts on a shoreline - and the rules say "both rafts could build a wall in the spaces marked "F" (1 stone). Because of the river, they cannot build in stretch G, unless they first build a bridge.

Why is that? I thought- since rafts could traverse the river, they don't *need* a bridge - and thus, they could build on either side.

If they're not *on* the river (but docked), do they actually have access to all the land hexsides on the side of the river, where they're docked?

That confused me -- most everything else was fairly clear

Thanks!

They can't build at "G" because they're not in the river, they're on the shoreline of the tile. If the rafts were actually in the river, what you are saying about them being able to work on either side would be true, but since they are on the shoreline of that tile on the wrong side of the river, they can't build on the other side of the river without a bridge first. Think of boats docked on the shoreline (not in a river) as a land transport that's on the tile, rather than a boat in the water, and it will make sense. When a water transport is in the river, in essence it is like you have a land transport on a non-river tile, since the boat effectively "bridges" the river for you.

Hope that made sense.

If you read the section above the illustration about Building From Boats it specifically mentions you cannot build on the other side of the river, if the boat is docked on the shoreline. And, as stated at the very beginning of the section on building, only a boat in a river can build on both sides of the river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Murr ...

1) I knew goods were used up -- but my question is, in terms of the wonder ... *all* goods are equal, 1 good for 1 brick; 2 for the second, etc. It's immaterial *what* the goods are, right?

2) Yes - your explanation about the raft makes sense. Functionally, when docked, the raft is a land transport with access to the land *only* on the tile where it's docked (and *only* on the side of the river).

One more question

When it comes to conflict / praying .... it says those closer to the Temple can "invoke the favor of the gods." - But, I see nothing about that. Is that a tongue-in-cheek reference (like the 'greater metaphysical understanding?'

It does seem as though there's a strategic decision to be made as to WHEN to stop praying; but it doesn't look like those who remain closer to the temple actually *get* anything ... is that the case?

Thanks so much for the extremely quick response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, goods are equal when contributing to the wonder.

Invoking the Gods means choosing where to place yourself in the turn order (at bottom row on the wonder board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that went in reverse turn order though? Isn't being close to the temple a detriment in that case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hunt
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ties are broken by who is closest to the temple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
I thought that went in reverse turn order though? Isn't being close to the temple a detriment in that case?

Yes. But before turn order is chosen, the person closest to the temple can invoke his favour and move to the back of the queue (and hence is guaranteed first choice).

JefferyHunt wrote:
Ties are broken by who is closest to the temple

No, incorrect. Everything is always done in turn order; the temple order is only used to determine turn order when someone calls for a conflict at the start of a phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.