9 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beastmaster Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Wallin
msg tools
Hello everyone.
Im going to play as a Beastmaster tonight, and i have a few questions.
Please excuse my poor english, not my native tounge. :-)
I have searched around the net, but found conflicting information. So it would be great if someone could clarify a few things for me.

1. If a Beastmaster use Feral Frenzy and attacks a monster in melee range (wolf is not near), does he get one extra green attack dice?

2. If a Beastmaster use Feral Frenzy and attacks a monster in melee range (wolf is adjacent), does the beastmaster get two extra green attack dice? (One because of himself and one because of the wolf?)

3. Same scenario as question number 2, but the Beastmaster have Savagery. Does the beastmaster get three extra attack dice?

4. Does Shadow Hunter work with cards and abilities that modify attack rolls, such as Savagery?

5. Can you use Shadow Hunter, then summon the wolf, than activate him as normal to use a regular attack?

6. Can you use Shadow Hunter several times during your turn as long as you have fatigue to summon your wolf?

Thanks alot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Air Duck wrote:
Hello everyone.
Im going to play as a Beastmaster tonight, and i have a few questions.
Please excuse my poor english, not my native tounge. :-)
I have searched around the net, but found conflicting information. So it would be great if someone could clarify a few things for me.

1. If a Beastmaster use Feral Frenzy and attacks a monster in melee range (wolf is not near), does he get one extra green attack dice?

2. If a Beastmaster use Feral Frenzy and attacks a monster in melee range (wolf is adjacent), does the beastmaster get two extra green attack dice? (One because of himself and one because of the wolf?)

3. Same scenario as question number 2, but the Beastmaster have Savagery. Does the beastmaster get three extra attack dice?

4. Does Shadow Hunter work with cards and abilities that modify attack rolls, such as Savagery?

5. Can you use Shadow Hunter, then summon the wolf, than activate him as normal to use a regular attack?

6. Can you use Shadow Hunter several times during your turn as long as you have fatigue to summon your wolf?

Thanks alot!

1. Monster fulfills the "Adjacent to you" condition. 1 extra green power die.

2. Wolf + Beastmaster adjacent to target: Fulfills the condition. 1 extra green power die, not 2.

3. 2 extra green power dice.

4. Since it is an Attack, it does gain modifiers to attacks such as Savagery.

5. You can in fact do this.

6. The FAQ does not cover this one. I'm inclined to say "Before activating your wolf" can only happen once per turn, but that's just the game balance loving part of me. I do not know for certain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wallin
msg tools
Thank you so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smithe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since shadow hunter defeats the wolf, it can be used once per wolf summon. If you are using shadow hunter twice in a round, you aren't activating your wolf at all.

I'm unsure about whether adding dice to the wolf's attack pool wiuld alter the roll for shadow hunter, since it specifically states to use the dice "shown below". For example, the universal OL card "solidarity" has been ruled unaffected by attribute modifiers because it says to use the value "on the hero sheet". In other words, if the OL chooses Avric's sheet, willpower tests will roll 4- regardless of the gear Avric is wearing, or if he has a master changeling or crypt dragon near him.

For shadow hunter, I am inclined to believe it works the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
On 6. the maximum number of times you can use Shadow Hunter in a turn is twice because outside of Grey Ker, you have to complete a figure's activation before you can start another figure's activation.

You can get the maximum number of Shadow Hunter attacks by:

1. Start turn with both wolf and Beastmaster.

2. Choose to activate wolf.

3. Trigger Shadow Hunter before your wolf's activation.

4. Start Beastmaster activation.

5. Summon Wolf (costing 1 fatigue *and* 1 action)

6. Perform Beastmaster's second action and end figure's activation.

7. Activate Wolf.

8. Trigger Shadow Hunter.

If your wolf isn't already summoned from previous turn, start at step 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smithe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatGuyMontag wrote:
On 6. the maximum number of times you can use Shadow Hunter in a turn is twice because outside of Grey Ker, you have to complete a figure's activation before you can start another figure's activation.

You can get the maximum number of Shadow Hunter attacks by:

1. Start turn with both wolf and Beastmaster.

2. Choose to activate wolf.

3. Trigger Shadow Hunter before your wolf's activation.

4. Start Beastmaster activation.

5. Summon Wolf (costing 1 fatigue *and* 1 action)

6. Perform Beastmaster's second action and end figure's activation.

7. Activate Wolf.

8. Trigger Shadow Hunter.

If your wolf isn't already summoned from previous turn, start at step 4.

Exactly. The maximum usage of shadow hunter is 3 times spread over 2 rounds (2 uses first round, 1 use the second, repeat.) And if you're doing that, the wolf is never moving and never attacking outside of the skill itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
I guess I'll hijack this thread instead of posting my own, sorry ^^

Is the wolf (or any other familiar for that matter)affected by the RTL peril/special affects that says to affect "all heroes"?

For example, if a peril happens that says that each hero tests will, does the wolf have to make the test as well? it seems to make sense sometimes because it says to treat it as a hero, but on the other hand it makes the game way harder than it should be. I'm not sure if it's only a figure for attacks or for everything.

I'm inclined to believe it's only for attacks, since sometimes we get a pop up that says something like: "Each hero tests Awareness, do more heroes pass than fail?"
When we're playing 2 hero game, if the wolf is considered a hero for that case, we have almost no way to actually pass this event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Falco
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
From RTL rules page 13 under Appendix II: "Familiars treated as figures are not affected by quest rules or perils."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
Big D wrote:
From RTL rules page 13 under Appendix II: "Familiars treated as figures are not affected by quest rules or perils."

Oh, can't believe I missed that! Thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.