Subject: Go for Base game + Expansion, or not, for Solo Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Colombo
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello guys, Im not new to BoardGaming and
I want to pick up Mage Knight only for playing it "solo".
(I will never bring this game to my gaming group for is length).

I read that the game is complex and I'm asking to veterans if you think that i should buy (and witch) Expansion together with base game to improve Solo experience, or if you suggest to start with base game only and later try to add Expansion.

I ask this because i really like the idea of General Volkare in the Expansion and i think it add a lot to Solo play (but maybe I'm wrong? I like much more the idea of a Dummy moving Enemy instead of Dummy "Time Count" in base game).

Is the +60€ for the Lost Legion totally worth to improve to Solo experience?

Are the rules for Base + Lost Legion overwhelming for fist approach?

Is the Shades of Tezla a better choice for Solo? (It have the Enemy moving Dummy like Lost Legion? Also is cheaper)

Is there a way to implement the Volkare mechanism in the base game without buying the Lost Legion? (cause i looking only for that in the expansion).

Thank you for reading and helping me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
You will want Lost Legion eventually, but the base game alone is worth 10 to 20 plays. Buy them together, or one after the after, it doesn't really matter.

The only thing I would say is that if you buy only the base game, and decide you don't like it, you'll have spent less money than if you had bought both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed, there is definitely enough in the base game for solo play, and then if you really like the game you should get the expansions to further the experience. I bought them earlier this year but didn't get to try them out yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
I bought the base game some time ago and after five games I decided to get Lost Legion. The reason was that the game is so incredibly good that I would regret it bitterly if the expansion for some reason no longer will be avaliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The base game is very good and worth buying alone. Lost Legion is the best expansion, but hardly necessary to enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
Lost Legion adds options, but you could possibly play the base game solo conquest for the rest of your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just read your post again and saw that the Lost Legion expansion would cost you +60€. It wouldn't be worth that to me. Nice to have, but only at half that cost. The base game is very good and you will enjoy that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the base for sure! As great as Mage Knight is (and awesome with the expansion), if the game isn't for you then you can figure that out first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Colombo
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, thank you all for the feedback but in the end i just shopped:

-Base Game
-Lost Legion
-Broken Token Organizer
-300 Mayday Premium Sleeves

Yes, a ton of money, at least shipment was free lol

In the end i decided to pull the trigger on all that because here (Italy) this game have no real distribution and there was this spot opportunity for me to take all. If I only ordered the base game would never had the opportunity to also recover the rest, so there it is.

PS: I like the game, i saw ton of gameplay surfing the Net so there is no doubt that I will like

Short reply:
All or nothing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, well as long as you like the game you won't have gone wrong!

Great pickup on the Broken Token Organizer as well - I reviewed it and, while it's a bit of work to construct, is awesome for Mage Knight and reduces the setup and teardown time considerably. Also, it lets you play with the monster tokens right out of the box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artyus
msg tools
Grande Stefano!
[Ma toglimi una curiosità, dove hai comprato il Broken Token? E' favoloso...]

just ask him where to buy broken token from italy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the base game. When you regularly break 200 points in Solo, then you go buy Lost Legion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vene though you decided to buy The Lost Legion, I will still strongly encourage you to play the regular solo conquest in the base game before you play against Volkare. The regular solo conquest is really amazing and will teach you how to play this game succesfully. Infact, I wouldn't play against Volkare until you consistently beat the solo conquest (with cities at 5/8). But do use all of the cards from the LL expansion right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Colombo
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game is awesome guyssssss!
Is even better that my expectation, play it Solo is challenging and i wasn't catching all the decision making behind it from the videos i saw.

I'm playing it every day to study the Rules and finally i think i got it. Yesterday i was able to Win a Solo Mines Liberation after 6 tries (yes, Im burning in, i've played 2 or more game every evening XD).

And i don't even opened the Lost Legion Expansion, I think i'm going to open it only after a couple of months.

I see myself buying even Tezla at that point in time ^^

BTW: The Broken Token is a life-saver, i cannot imagine to play this game out of the box without custom insert, so glad that i picked that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this game is so good. I beat Solo Conquest for the first time last night, using Tovak. I pulled off a combo to beat the level 8 city using the Altem Mages 'siege all the things' ability + triggered Mana Overload on Rage + Fire Wave and a few other cards to generate something like 22 siege attack. I wiped out the whole city without taking a scratch. So satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:
I pulled off a combo to beat the level 8 city using the Altem Mages 'siege all the things' ability
I used that in my last solo conquest game, too. Awesome ability!
I was playing Wolfhawk and had to combine it with her hero power to ignore the siege icon on one of the enemies, though. I also couldn't defeat all enemies in one go. A second attack easily killed the sole remaining survivor.

Oh, and grats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
cfmcdonald wrote:
I pulled off a combo to beat the level 8 city using the Altem Mages 'siege all the things' ability
I used that in my last solo conquest game, too. Awesome ability!
I was playing Wolfhawk and had to combine it with her hero power to ignore the siege icon on one of the enemies, though. I also couldn't defeat all enemies in one go. A second attack easily killed the sole remaining survivor.

Oh, and grats!

Thanks. Yep it's an amazing power, I was lucky to have a black die in the source for it. I was only able to kill 3 or the 4 enemies with siege attack, but I was able to block and close with the last one (Shadow) for a melee kill (with Cold Swordsmanship + Cold Toughness, I think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philos ___
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
Stefano, I am in similar situation being in South Africa, would you recommend getting the expansion(s) in original purchase? I will be getting the Daedalus insert as opposed to the Brokentoke one though. Where did you order from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Glad you like it Stefano, Mage Knight is so freaking awesome, I've only played it once with someone else, but I find solo really the way to play (as I take about 20 min on difficult turns )

I bought the Lost Legion expansion soon after buying the base game, but I actually removed the components of it again, I found it not necessarily overwhelming, but it adds a lot randomness to the gameplay, it ramps up the difficulty quite a bit because some enemies are really tough if you encounter them early on.

Now I'm not saying I don't like the expansion, but I feel I want to spend more time with the base game and explore it/get better before I get to it again.

I bought Tezla recently (at this stage I just have to own everything Mage Knight), and boy that solo campaign is not even funny anymore.. it's so freaking hard it makes you think how on earth one would be able to win it in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Colombo
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
elliottpt wrote:
Stefano, I am in similar situation being in South Africa, would you recommend getting the expansion(s) in original purchase? I will be getting the Daedalus insert as opposed to the Brokentoke one though. Where did you order from?

I have the Lost Legion still in is shrink wrap, the base game have tons of Replay value for is own and i didn't want to add extra stuff in until i mastered all the aspect of the game, and i played the base game now A LOT (one game every evening XD). But still, i am happy to had purchased Lost Legion with the base game, cause every time i finish a game, i look the expansion in his shiny shrink wrap and i think: "This game is so beautiful, and i cannot imagine what wonder you can add to my gaming experience". It is so tempting, the LL ask me to open it and unveil all is awesomeness, but i keep it close like a Christmas Gift, waiting for the right moment.

So, my thought would be: Go for the Lost Legion, but wait until you have mastered the base game

I just purchased the whole stuff from an Italian Online shop, cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LaTigre wrote:
I have the Lost Legion still in is shrink wrap, the base game have tons of Replay value for is own and i didn't want to add extra stuff in until i mastered all the aspect of the game

You might want to use the replacement (rebalanced) base game cards and tokens, and add/replace the 2nd unique card for each hero's deck. And maybe add Wolfhawk, to have a 5th character to choose.
All those things do is enrich the base game a bit without really adding anything different.

That is, if you could manage not touching the other stuff in the expansion once the box is unwrapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'll second getting the replacement tokens and cards from LL and swapping them in. But also be prepared to spend 20-30 minutes sitting in the middle of a pile of bits while you try to figure out what's what. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.