Hide
16 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Community Forbidden Stars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M U
msg tools
If there is no official expansions and some of homemade expansions. What about made community figures design to FB for these new factions?.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping for a 6 player variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some have created a 6 player variant that required two copies of the game. Can't remember their username, but their user image is Silver Surfer if that helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Stassen
Belgium
Kessel-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid we won't see any expansions for this game as FFG and GW have parted ways (which we happened with Blizzard in the past). Best bad is to wait for FFG to reuse the mechanism once again,

Maybe in the Twilight Imperium setting? Now that I say it, that would be sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
How I play extra players is that I use a second set with painted minis and tokens in coin cases (the first set unpainted and not in coin cases). Then instead of handing out two objective tokens you hand out one each to each player.

Then for playing 5 players you use 16 tiles and play to 7 rounds to keep the game length in check.

Then for playing 6 players you use 20 tiles and play to 6 rounds to keep the game length in check.

Then for playing 7 players you use 24 tiles and play to 5 rounds to keep the game length in check.

I have only played the 5 player variant as I am still waiting on some painting but I can say these figures paint very easily with an airbrush.

I thought second Eldar looks good in white. Second orcs in a very dark green. Chaos in black. Marines in Grey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dusty27 wrote:
How I play extra players is that I use a second set with painted minis and tokens in coin cases (the first set unpainted and not in coin cases). Then instead of handing out two objective tokens you hand out one each to each player.

Then for playing 5 players you use 16 tiles and play to 7 rounds to keep the game length in check.

Then for playing 6 players you use 20 tiles and play to 6 rounds to keep the game length in check.

Then for playing 7 players you use 24 tiles and play to 5 rounds to keep the game length in check.

I have only played the 5 player variant as I am still waiting on some painting but I can say these figures paint very easily with an airbrush.

I thought second Eldar looks good in white. Second orcs in a very dark green. Chaos in black. Marines in Grey.

I guess down time isn't an issue with your game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mathers
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Eurox wrote:
If there is no official expansions and some of homemade expansions. What about made community figures design to FB for these new factions?.)

That would be extremely awesome.

But how to make it cost effective?

My guess is the process would be:

1) have some artists create 3d model files
2) 3d print 1 prototype of each unit to use as moulds.
3) use these as the basis for a Chinese factory to pump out a limited set of figures by injection plastic.

I think with some initiative and a couple of hundred people chipping in, it could be done? Not sure the lower limit on a run of injection moulded figures would be. individually 3d printing an entire set of figures would be cost prohibit, I reckon.

It would also be potentially some kind of huge copyright issue, so the endeavour would have to be private, non=profit, and the figures would have to be suggestive of certain copyrighted factions without being exact duplicates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check https://www.shapeways.com/ there's quite a lot of 3d models around to use or to print on your own 3d printer... the "real issue" is not the plastics (also easy to substitute with EPIC 40K and Batlefleet Gothic minis) but the tiles and cards needed for the other players. I'm currently working on creating a full TAU player with the material from Steve (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1581974/greater-good-tau-fa...) and some 3D printing of the ships. My only problem is to find suitable 3d miniatures for the fire warriors, the battle suits and the hammerhead tank...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mathers
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Loig wrote:
check https://www.shapeways.com/ there's quite a lot of 3d models around to use or to print on your own 3d printer... the "real issue" is not the plastics (also easy to substitute with EPIC 40K and Batlefleet Gothic minis) but the tiles and cards needed for the other players. I'm currently working on creating a full TAU player with the material from Steve (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1581974/greater-good-tau-fa...) and some 3D printing of the ships. My only problem is to find suitable 3d miniatures for the fire warriors, the battle suits and the hammerhead tank...

WOW!

You should hook up with @madtulip who is doing the card graphics properly.

Please post how to replicate your effort when done, and piccies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi Steve! thanks
I didn't know madtulip was working on your cards I was about to ask you for the photoshop files. because on top of everything I also want/need to translate them into German
cheerios
Loig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mathers
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
if you find 3d models, put them in this thread I guess

bio-titan

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1512967

monolith

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1362744
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool! I just started collecting stl files from various sites, thingverse, shapeways etc. Once I have a complete set for a 4 races I'll compile them and make them available here on BGG. The light and heavy infantry flagpoles are giving me headaches though... I think we need a 3D designer/sculptor to create a few for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Tan
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Loig wrote:
cool! I just started collecting stl files from various sites, thingverse, shapeways etc. Once I have a complete set for a 4 races I'll compile them and make them available here on BGG. The light and heavy infantry flagpoles are giving me headaches though... I think we need a 3D designer/sculptor to create a few for us!

Hey guys, I was just browsing through and found some neat ideas for unit proxies for the newer races :

1. Pieces of Risk : Starcraft as one of the cheapest substitutes for Zerg units > Nids and perhaps the Siege Tank > Leman Russ?

2. Get the similar 40k Epic models for the respective races, from ebay or any other sites/FLGS that carries them

3. Get alternative 40k Epic models, from companies like -
vanguardminiatures.co.uk. They have SM/Tau/Nids/Orks/IG units and more

4. 3D printing as mentioned by Steven Mathers above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, I know there are a couple of proxy minis around. But I want to have a "real" set of miniatures for each additional race, all cast/printed in the same color, so for example:
Orange for Tau ,
rose for Nids,
olivegreen for Imps
and grey for Crons

Also I want all the spacecraft on similar stands (that one is easy enough, I'll scan and print the stands from the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M U
msg tools
Yea, there is should be color variants.
What about collectively pay to some 3D designer? (non professional probably)
and then we can print it everywhere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my toughts exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.