Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melissa Schwartzkopf
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
I have a knife...
badge
"It's unpleasantly like being drunk." "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?" "You ask a glass of water." --Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, I'm new here in Shanghai, and itching to play some good board games. Yes, I have some light ones, but I also have some great ones like Lords of Waterdeep, Trajan, Puerto Rico, Castles of Burgundy, and Mad Castles of King Ludwig.

Are there any groups out there that are joinable? Or will I be starting my own in my little apartment?

Some games I brought:

Here is Dominion regular and Intrigue, Dixit (original), Takenoko, and the Polish version of The Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Hiding to the left is Proteus.

Hive with expansions, Love Letter, King of Tokyo, Edel Stein and Reich, Catan along with cities and Knights, and Carcassonne.

Bananagrams, plain old cards, Resistance, Knightmare Chess, Hanabi, Parade, Walk the Plank, Catan card game, Targi, Bus, Taj, and Cold War.

Mission: Red Planet, Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Castles of Burgundy, Trajan, Alhambra, Colt Express, and Lords of Waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Sivera Catala
China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, there's a group that meets every tuesday in JingAn Temple area. They mostly play party games, sometimes heavier stuff.

They have a group in Wechat, and also seem to organize some kind of Catan tournament.

I'm also new in the city and looking for fellow gamers. Feel free to add me on Wechat: sivereta.

Welcome to the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gut Shot Games
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
www.gutshotgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, I just moved back to the states after living in Pudong the last 2 years otherwise I would love to play with you. A few pointers:

1. Pistolera & Blue Frog are staple restaurants in the area that you should visit when you are missing US food
2. Cool Stuff Inc. delivers to China. Shipping is a beast but I ordered 6 shipments over my 2 years and never had an issue.
3. Unless you know the seller, dont buy board games from Taobao.
4. Do you have kids that are attending the local schools? At Concordia it was easy to post poker or board game nights in the newsletter or at the school. We celebrated tabletop day at our home and had a big turn out.
5. If #4 doesnt work for you, try posting on Shanghai Mamas.
6. MayDay games HQ is in Shanghai. The owner is American (I believe but am not 100%) and heard they host game nights, you may want to send them an email and ask.
7. I always liked Times better than City Shop for groceries. Both are expensive but Times has a better selection. Times is a short walk from Carrefour.
8. Speaking of Taobao, you can get/have made a full sized Texas Holdem table for a good price on Taobao. I got one that worked great as a game table with 6 matching chairs for ~$500.

Enjoy your time in Pudong! All the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Schwartzkopf
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
I have a knife...
badge
"It's unpleasantly like being drunk." "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?" "You ask a glass of water." --Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
gutshotgames wrote:

4. Do you have kids that are attending the local schools? At Concordia it was easy to post poker or board game nights in the newsletter or at the school. We celebrated tabletop day at our home and had a big turn out.

Haha...I work there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Schwartzkopf
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
I have a knife...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thanks for the tip about Cool Stuff! I definitely want more games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be in Shanghai from December 18 until February 10.

I would be happy to meet up for games during that period.

GM me if you want to discuss this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gut Shot Games
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
www.gutshotgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Clamjamfry wrote:
gutshotgames wrote:

Haha...I work there!

It was a great school. Kids miss it but are more happy to be back in the USA. I know Mrs. Kim's (3rd Grade Teacher) husband Eugene loves board games so he might be willing to help you start a group up. Enjoy your time there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately the owner of Mayday Games just moved back to the USA after 5 years of living in Suzhou. We are missing the food already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.