Subject: How NOT to advertise your game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Kickstarter banners with game reviewers muted yet speaking quotes from a (p)review. I wouldn't want to see myself staring back at me in an advertisement, let alone anyone else. Please don't let this become a trend, it's unsettling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Oi buy our game, it's just like getting kicked in the nuts by a rattle snake!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I gather that a positive quote from Undead Viking would be a big turnoff for many around these parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should have been a slow motion video. Opportunity lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
surprise 'Machete'-guy ad SEZ: "I 'Mother-stabber'-GUT you "Like" sheep!" wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A paid for advert with UV in it, what's new?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Watts
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
I gather that a positive quote from Undead Viking would be a big turnoff for many around these parts.

I was really surprised by that when someone mentioned it to me the other day. I saw him on so many Kickstarters, I assumed that he was super well respected and I should get a review from him for my own project. Then someone brought it up as a red flag for why they probably weren't going to back it.

Just...unexpected, that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
wamsp wrote:

Fixed that redundancy for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
wamsp wrote:

Who (or indeed what) the hell are you talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Be kind.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a game that a guy hand-made in the Air Force awhile ago and on the cover of the box he wrote "An Evolution in Gaming!" - himself. I thought that was special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
broken clock wrote:
wamsp wrote:

There is a bearded dude getting me creeped out every time I hit the main page, or other pages. Even an image of me, slowly moving my lips would get to me after the first view.

Without sound, I can't really tell if he is promoting a game or the benefits of yard raised chickens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to say I was lukewarm on the controversy of a YouTube "reviewer" taking cash to shower praise on some game or other. Having his mug on loop in the corner of my screen jabbering away... Oh, this I do not like. I do not like very much indeed. Kickstarter, thy sins are manifold and ever increasing - how I deplore thee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
"Oi buy our game, it's just like getting kicked in the nuts by a rattle snake!"
That game must be freakin' awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
BGG Kickstarter banners with game reviewers muted yet speaking quotes from a (p)review. I wouldn't want to see myself staring back at me in an advertisement, let alone anyone else. Please don't let this become a trend, it's unsettling.

FYI, those banners are currently some of the top performing banners on BGG. I'm not saying I care for that style personally or am going to recommend it to advertisers, but they're effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
broken clock wrote:
wamsp wrote:

Because UV's quotes are always positive. Every game is amazing. You should back everything.

There, I saved you 30+ minutes of sitting through a UV KS preview video.

Seriously, a UV preview of your KS is virtually meaningless, since he will say super positive things about anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Daybreak wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
broken clock wrote:
wamsp wrote:

Because UV's quotes are always positive. Every game is amazing. You should back everything.

There, I saved you 30+ minutes of sitting through a UV KS preview video.

Seriously, a UV preview of your KS is virtually meaningless, since he will say super positive things about anything.

It didn't hit me till he did a glowing review for the game LOAD. After ALL that controversy and many people doing the print and play and saying the game was dreadful. I remember watching the video and thinking to myself "Hey! Wait a minute!" and sure enough I went through his backlog and they were ALL glowing kickstarter reviews. Now the dude works for a fucking board game publisher. But don't worry, he won't let that influence his opinion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Watts
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
broken clock wrote:
wamsp wrote:

Others have already answered here, but I figured I'd offer my two cents. Undead Viking is a board game reviewer on YouTube with a policy of charging for reviews of Kickstarter game. Which is fine. Many reviewers do that, because reviewing a game that might not be published depending on how the crowdfunding campaign goes is a bit of a risk, and because these games tend to be more difficult to play because they're unfinished or just plain bad. However, UV refunds that fee and doesn't review the game if he doesn't like it, so every review you see from him is going to be a good review. He doesn't exactly help you avoid bad games, because he just doesn't post reviews of games he doesn't like, and some people think he ends up giving the impression of being...well, a paid shill (though I think that's kind of a harsh way to put it).

Plus there's the whole "how can the review be unbiased when there's a financial incentive from the publisher" thing, which is, you know, maybe a fair point.

I'm kind of trying to defend the dude here because I, without knowing that apparently this was an issue for some people, paid him for a review recently. Just a heads up so you know my bias on the subject. I'd like to think that money wasn't poorly spent, and I did personally like the review he did of my game, even though he kept saying the name wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
skyzero wrote:

FYI, those banners are currently some of the top performing banners on BGG. I'm not saying I care for that style personally or am going to recommend it to advertisers, but they're effective.

I'm sure, since the silent ad itself gives absolutely no clue what he's talking about, so it's no wonder a lot of people click to see what in the world is going on. Prediction: it will be much less effective the second time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

Not an ad for Deer in the Headlights Game, which seems like a missed opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought for a brief moment about turning off the BGG ad blocks to see what in the world people are talking about here.

And then I remembered that's one of the reasons why I pay $25 a year to BGG, so that I don't have to see the ads. (As well as supporting what I think is generally a very good site.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
Agreed. Silent motion banners, facebook ads, etc. are having some of the best success with "interruption marketing" right now because they catch your eye on an otherwise static page.

Wait until these banners catch up with ads in other areas where the silent video starts with the person pointing to a button that says "click me". I find these ones even more annoying, but they are quite successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ads like the one described here are why people hate digital advertisers and adblock everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm kind of trying to defend the dude here because I, without knowing that apparently this was an issue for some people, paid him for a review recently.

I think the main issue had to do with disclosure.

I have no problem with an advertisement as long as I know it is an advertisement. The recent issue with LOAD, as I understand it, was Lance not disclosing whether he was paid or not.

So, paid endorsements or reviews can still be helpful to the consumer in making informed purchasing decisions.

It is when the financial motive is hidden or obscured from the consumer that issues can arise.

So, I (and the FTC) would have no problem if you paid someone else to do a review/commercial for you as long as this arrangement was disclosed in the review itself. This is a pretty common practice and part and parcel of marketing.

The key to it not being seen as sketchy is disclosure.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Watts
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
natsean wrote:
The key to it not being seen as sketchy is disclosure.

That's fair. Now that you mention it, my other paid reviews (Father Geek, etc) did take time out to mention that explicitly up front.

Also...

HiveGod wrote:

I actually did something like that recently by accident, so I can see why that ad is showing up there. I tried running some Google Display Network banner ads, and then stopped when I realized that telling Google to put them on stuff related to "card games" was getting my ads in a ton of solitare, blackjack, and poker apps. Not exactly what I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.