Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Image credit: Hafergulden
Deep Sea Adventure is a tiny game that fits in a box not much bigger (width/height) than a credit card. Honestly, when I first got the box I was disappointed: how can such a small box have any sort of game inside? I've since learned -- you can't judge a box by its size! Actually, it's kind of nice to have a game that doesn't pretend to have a ton of "Shelf presence" -- it just lets the merits of the game stand for itself.

Image credit: Steph
In Deep Sea Adventure, you are your opponents are divers, hoping to strike it rich with some treasure pulled from the ocean floor. Unfortunately, you're all poor] divers, and are forced to share a submarine and air supply while you're diving. Treasure is your goal, but it also sucks up your air and slows you down as you try to make your way up to the surface!

The deeper you go down, the more the treasure will be worth -- but beware, the harder it will be for you to make it back up! The game is played in three rounds, and the person with the most treasure at the end of the three rounds is the winner. No kidding, this game plays in about fifteen minutes and is quicker and easier to set up than Hey! That's My Fish -- another of our filler favorites.

While this may seem like such a simple game: roll the dice, move your diver, pick up treasure, and turn around, there's a lot more here than meets the eye. Sure, this is a tiny filler, but this is the exact place to have dice-chucking. There's nothing better than risking it all on picking up an extra treasure, and then proceeding to roll three snake eyes in a row. It's painful in a sixty minute game but all part of the fun in this ten-minute game.

Also, the strategy of when to turn around and how much treasure to pick up continues to hold our attention after we've played it so often. This game provokes so much competitive play amongst us and our friends. Sometimes you'll speed up to the boat, with only a single treasure. Other times, you'll find yourself stuck in the deeps, and will start picking up treasure just to suck up other people's air.

Image credit: Henk Rolleman
You can do a whole lot worse than the $20 Deep Sea Adventure costs. We've found it to be a fun and engaging filler that's perfect for vacations, restaurants, and casual play. My rating for Deep Sea is a ten -- not so much because it's really an amazing game compared to everything else on BGG, but relative to its class of filler games, I haven't found a better one yet. I'm always happy to give this one a play.

I've heard good things about the other Oink games in the series and would love to pick some of them up -- if Deep Sea is any indication, they'll be well worth it!

Gameplay
.. Abstract ---♦------- Thematic
....... Luck ----♦------ Skill
.... Simple -♦--------- Complex
. Strategic ------♦---- Tactical
... Friendly ------♦---- Cutthroat

Other
Graphic Design/Components: 5/5
Insert: NA/5
Rules Clarity: 4/5

Overall: 5/5

tl;dr: Deep Sea Adventure is a fast-paced yet competitive press-your-luck game that plays quickly and provides enjoyment for gamers and newbs alike. Recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: AAJ: 22 Dives and Counting...how does it hold up?
Oink does have other good games. Deep Sea is still the best of them. None of the others have the simple rules, tense play, and the ability to induce cursing and bragging all in the same package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
Oink does have other good games. Deep Sea is still the best of them.

I also bought maskmen, Kobayakawa and TROLL. I did like DSA, and have not tried Troll yet, but last summer the ones we played the most were Maskmen and Kobayakawa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elhnad legs
msg tools
how do you deal with this potential issue of being ahead after 2 rounds?

To preface, I haven't played this yet, but have read a bunch about it and watched a bunch of videos. One review said this:

"the only issue that some have had with the game, namely that the player who leads after the first or second round can try to pick up as much as possible to kill everyone before others can score" https://opinionatedgamers.com/2015/01/01/deep-sea-adventure-...

Although I haven't played this yet, I can't imagine how he isn't right about his issue. What do you guys think, and is there a way to make it more fair to catchup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible. At the same time, another player could make it up with a few treasures and edge ahead. This strategy is viable, but mitigated by the fact that you don't know the exact values of the treasures each player holds. Also, it's pretty difficult to come out ahead in two consecutive rounds -- while this strategy has come up, it's not as often as you'd think. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
Oink does have other good games. Deep Sea is still the best of them. None of the others have the simple rules, tense play, and the ability to induce cursing and bragging all in the same package.

I highly recommend A Fake Artist Goes to New York -- I'll have a review out of it soon. VERY high-quality game, almost as fun as Deep Sea. I've also had my eye on Troll, but we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.