Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
First time playing with the Occultist character, and I'm trying to figure out why I would ever use her first ability...

As an action, move one cultist up to 2 locations.

Um. Why not just use that action to get rid of the cultist? Is there a situation where having a cultist around, or in a certain place, is preferable to just removing them entirely? Am I missing something?

Her second ability, to move a Shoggoth, sure, that has direct and obvious game implications, but moving a cultist??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
You can use it to spread out cultists from areas that have three cultists on them (which might be too far away to move there and eliminate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, duh. You don't need to be at the location with them in order to move them. That makes the difference. I kept thinking, if you're there, just get rid of them.

And in that case, it's also useful if you know someone is about to seal in a town, to spread out the cultists there so more of them get hit by the seal.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played with her I thought she was like the dispatcher in vanilla Pandemic, and could move the investigators up to two spaces, so I grabbed her thinking she was awesome.

Ya not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iziak Marsh
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO the Occultist is the best character, just awesome for support - can pull cultists/shoggoths TOWARDS other characters so they may dispatch them quicker and also the real reason to use her - to slow down Rituals occuring. AND you can use her ability to spread cultists around a town just before a gate close action to remove as many as possible when the gate goes down. Just fab
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Lambert
msg tools
One of the two characters I used last night and would say she was really good. I could pretty much leave her on one spot, whilst the other investigators moved around to clear out the cultists.

Also more efficient to move a cultist to her space and then remove it (2 actions), rather than moving two then removing the cultist (3 actions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doruk Can Ozcifci
msg tools
We loved playing Occultist with a Hunter around. Instead of spreading them, we tried gathering them for the Hunter to hunt. I'm not going to say it's a good strategy overall but the games were a blast!

Occultist seems to move less compared to other characters. (because her strength lies in moving other forces), so... we had problems trading cards with her. It also restricted the movement of our Hunter (because the hunter needed to move to the exact space Occultist gathers the cultist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
The first time I played with her I thought she was like the dispatcher in vanilla Pandemic, and could move the investigators up to two spaces, so I grabbed her thinking she was awesome.

Ya not so much.

i regretted not picking the occultist, so useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.