Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Master
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
So...

The standard death star destruction rules are kind of an irritating crapshoot. You can either engineer the luke/wedge one in a million combo (which typically takes some work), or you can use a fairly small fleet and still get a ~40% shot at the death star after surviving one round.

This 40% is an entirely unsatisfying scenario. it basically means the rebels can with very little effort almost always take a reasonable pot shot at a 2 point objective that will likely decide the game. The 40% shot is a "bad" rebel play if you're winning, since the odds are it fails, and an unsatisfying "risky play" if you're losing. If you're losing this game, why should there be a card that gives you such a high percentage shot at pulling off a win anyway?

Granted, the third way to kill the death start is satisfying and involves strategy and effort -- setting yourself up with such a big fleet of fighters that you get multiple rounds of attempts. I have no problem with a rebel player having good odds at winning because they invested their resources in that kind of massive strike.

A good solution to the 40% problem, is the following:
-Instead of rolling 3 dice at the end of combat round where you survive with fighters roll dice based on the number of surviving fighters you have. Make it a 1 fighter = 1 dice, n fighters= n dice.

This immediately makes the play more interesting. The rebel player has a lot less incentive to go for a hail mary where they might reasonably survive with just 1 fighter. Better to actually try to survive/win the game based on other objectives and strategy you've been working on the whole game. It becomes less of a "well, i'm losing might as well try this" play.

The other element that is potentially not fun is the "one in a million" option for killing the death star. This option basically means that if luke/wedge are in play, the empire has to hide the death star in a corner AND be on the lookout for luke/wedge missions in the square, to be followed by "plan the assault" teleport attack.

Because all the action cards in the game are game-breakers in various ways, rebel leader choices are frequently very good and hard to choose between, and because in the late game the empire can at least try to guard their death star, it's not absolutely terrible for the game. But it's a bit heavy handed. I could definitely see playing a variant with this card not being used to kill death stars and might be more fun. Alternately in combo with the rule variant above, you could let it be used to double your dice rolled when attempting to score a hit on the Death Star. Still a threat, less of a cakewalk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Death Star is a pretty incredible tool for the Empire. It's also a huge investment, and if vulnerable, could be a devastating loss. I think that's reflected pretty well in this game. If the Empire wants to reign terror and destroy the galaxy one planet at a time, they can. If they want to "hide the Death Star in a corner" because they're scared of it being destroyed- well, I guess that's fair enough, too. I think it's important for the Imperial player to consider how they want to guard the Death Star. A Star Destroyer or two would also be good for defense, and a few TIEs or assault carriers could also bolster defenses. It certainly doesn't have to be constantly left vulnerable to attack.

In regards to the DS Plans roll- I actually kind of like the three dice. In a fight against the Death Star, luck's going to ultimately count for far more than having an additional snub fighter or two.

But, as always, I do appreciate reading these variants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob labine
msg tools
I don't really see a problem with the Death Star plan objective card. From a movie point of view, it is thematic. The Empire barely used the first Death Star when it was blown out by a relatively small fleet of fighters (something like 30 fighters without any capital ships support) while they didn't have the chance to finish the construction of the second one before it was turned into dust by a larger fleet this time, but only one Death Star attack run. So basically the Rebels where 1 out of 3 in episode IV and 1 out of 1 in episode VI for a 50% success in terms of mounting an attack to destroy the Death Star. I think the 42% chance of destroying it if at least one fighter survives is fine, again from a thematic point of view.

Edit : With that being said, I do like the idea of allowing one die per surviving fighter. I would however cap the number of dice to the max number of dice provided in the game. Anyway, it is I suppose highly unlikely a rebel player will have dozen of fighters at one point in the game, as they don't have the ressources to hold blue triangle ressource planets for that long. Maybe the dice cap could even be brought down to 5 as it still gives a great chance of success (60%) without being a sure kill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eumaies wrote:
Instead of rolling 3 dice at the end of combat round where you survive with fighters roll dice based on the number of surviving fighters you have. Make it a 1 fighter = 1 dice, n fighters= n dice.

This sounds really solid to me. And it isn't a straight nerf, because superior forces are now overpowering.
Quote:
Alternately in combo with the rule variant above, you could let [One in a Million] be used to double your dice rolled when attempting to score a hit on the Death Star. Still a threat, less of a cakewalk.

Right now, OIAM lets you score two hits on any mission or combat. Maybe have it give +3 dice in any situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krumlauf
United States
California
flag msg tools
No. Just no.

The Death Star is a super weapon. It's also a huge liability. An Achilles heel. An arrogant dragon with a single missing scale on its belly.

In other words: that 40% chance or engineered 1 in a million is dead on thematically.

As the Empire it's your option to build a second one or not, to aggressively use the one you have or not. You should be worried about a sneaky rebel attack the gains them 2 victory points. It's a great tension generating feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Wilkes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The Death Star is a risk, but keep 5 TIE fighters with it at all times and you'll roll 9 dice to try and take out any fighters that try an attack. Unless they use Plan The Assault you should see the attack coming anyway. I think if the Rebels can engineer the attack well enough to get the attempt, then 40% is a good chance - it's not an easy thing to get enough starfighters in one location ready to attack if the Empire is doing it's job properly and shooting you out of the sky every time you put a fighter on the board and subjugating any planets that let you replace them.

Plus if Luke or Wedge is in play, you can always try capturing them - that way One in a Million can't be used. Also once a leader is captured there are several missions that allow you to look at the Rebels objective hand so you can see if they have Death Star Plans or not, and one mission that allows you to take one of their objectives and put it to the bottom of the deck - steal DSP and then you don't have to worry about anything until the second copy comes up in the tier 3 objectives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
astroglide wrote:
Right now, OIAM lets you score two hits on any mission or combat. Maybe have it give +3 dice in any situation?

For missions, it actually gives you 4 successes, which is much better compared to 2.5 successes on average that +3 dice will provide. And it will still be subject to "max 10 dice" cap.

Of course, One in a Million is usually used against Death Star, but opposing Lure of the Dark Side with it wouldn't be a waste either (and the dice cap is quite important in this case, as it's probably 10 vs. 10 dice situation quite often).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vaguely remember seeing a ruling that captured leaders can't use their Actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
demoss1 wrote:
I vaguely remember seeing a ruling that captured leaders can't use their Actions.

That's correct, but I was only referring to Justin's post and didn't mean a situation with Luke/Wedge as a captured leader, but as an additional leader sent to help against Lure of the Dark Side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.