10 Posts

Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: No Brains rule's Questions : rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
franck leopold
France
flag msg tools
Let's take an example : a 9-strength Zed unit attacks a Civilian unit on a Named space (who protects a little the defender) .
I launch 9 dice for the zeds and i obtain four 1 results and one 2 result .

The No Brains rule says (page 6) that because i am in a named space, i MAY ignore the first 1 (hit) and instead retreat of one space, and that for each 2 i must retreat of one space .

I don't understand : in my case, what happens really ?

1) may i choose to retreat with the first of my 1 dice, knowing that i launched FOUR 1 (a near-lethal amount for my unit) ?

2) if yes, must i retreat of Two spaces ? (one for the first 1 and one for the 2 die ?

2) if i choose to retreat with the first 1, does i take the three other hits (the other three 1 dice i launched), or does i avoid ALL damage ?

Also, there is a table page 6 that says that if a unit is on a named space and the zeds rolls three or more 1 dice, "IF UNIT RETREATED, THE UNIT TAKES 2 HITS (THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT)" .

3) What is really the meaning of these words "IF UNIT RETREATED" ?
● Does that means "if the unit have already retreated EARLIER THIS TURN (in a previous fight), she takes two hits", or does that means :
● "Your unit must take two hits, even if you choose to retreat DURING THIS FIGHT" (if this is this explanation that is right, that doesn't makes sense to me : if you launch three or more 1 dice, what advantage can you have to retreat if you still have to take 2 hits (the maximum) : it's the same result as if you have chosen to stay on your space ..

I add one more question about Player's Hand-to-hand attacks vs. Zeds (no brains rulebook p7) :
i can read in the rulebook :
"make an attack roll :
a) for each 5 die, the zeds unit must retreat 1 space back .
b) for each 6 die, the zeds unit takes 1 hit .

4) my question is : if i have in a same roll one 5 and one 6, does the zed unit retreat AND take 1 hit, or must i read the lines in the specified order :
a) one 5 die : the zed retreats
b) the zed unit cannot take the hit (6 die) because he retreated in step a) and cannot be hit anymore in hand to hand combat (too far away) .

5) Unlike all the other modes, nothing in the "Actions" part of the No Brains rulebook (p.5) forbids player units movement in the five Start spaces of each track, so can i place my units here, and if Yes, can the Zeds enter on these spaces ?

I know there is many questions, but could someone from VPG answer me, please ?
Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Brains rule's zed attacks
SangDragon26 wrote:
Let's take an example : a 9-strength Zed unit attacks a Civilian unit on a Named space (who protects a little the defender) .

A 9-strength Zeds unit against a Civilian unit would probably roll on the Zeds x3 or Zeds x2 column, but you would only roll 2D6, regardless. I don't understand your reference to 9 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franck leopold
France
flag msg tools
Re: No Brains rule's zed attacks
The Wrong One wrote:
I don't understand your reference to 9 dice.

Thanks for your answer, but read again my post : I speak of the NO BRAINS RULES, who have different rules and a specific rulebook .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
SangDragon26 wrote:

A 9-strength Zeds unit against a Civilian unit would probably roll on the Zeds x3 or Zeds x2 column, but you would only roll 2D6, regardless. I don't understand your reference to 9 dice.

Yea, confused reading the question as well... Should roll 2D6 only...
What is four 1 results and one 2 result?
Maybe should clarify a bit more so anybody can help meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He already answered: this is a NO BRAINS ruleset question... You know, the one rule book you haven't read (speaking for myself at least).

So, if anyone reading the question fully and having read/played the No Brains! mode could reply; it would be great for the OP.
I didn't, but I'm still interested in the answer though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franck leopold
France
flag msg tools
jupiter999 wrote:
Maybe should clarify a bit more so anybody can help meeple

Thanks, Jupiter999 !
The reason why you and The Wrong One so confused with my questions is the following one : I DO NOT play by the classic rules at all, i play with the NO BRAINS RULES (even simpler than the basic level), who have a specific rulebook of only 8 pages .
The attacks in this mode are COMPLETELY different than the other modes : you roll a number of dice equal to the attacking unit's strength (may be 9 dice for some zombie units !) : only the 1 and 2 results affects the humans , and only the 5 and 6 results affects the zeds .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

The No Brains rule says (page 6) that because i am in a named space, i MAY ignore the first 1 (hit) and instead retreat of one space, and that for each 2 i must retreat of one space .

I don't understand : in my case, what happens really ?

Your unit suffers 2 Hits; it dies. At that point, don't bother retreating it, as that is merely protocol so new players develop good habits.

Quote:
Also, there is a table page 6 that says that if a unit is on a named space and the zeds rolls three or more 1 dice, "IF UNIT RETREATED, THE UNIT TAKES 2 HITS (THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT)" .

Since two hits kills a unit, that means that even if it did retreat, it died anyway because it suffered so many hits.

Quote:
I add one more question about Player's Hand-to-hand attacks vs. Zeds (no brains rulebook p7) : "make an attack roll :
a) for each 5 die, the zeds unit must retreat 1 space back .
b) for each 6 die, the zeds unit takes 1 hit .

4) my question is : if i have in a same roll one 5 and one 6, does the zed unit retreat AND take 1 hit,

Yes, the two are not mutually exclusive. And, if you roll two or more hits on that unit, don't bother to retreat it; it's eliminated.

Quote:
5) Unlike all the other modes, nothing in the "Actions" part of the No Brains rulebook (p.5) forbids player units movement in the five Start spaces of each track, so can i place my units here, and if Yes, can the Zeds enter on these spaces ?

Your newly arriving Heroes COULD be placed in a Start space. Zeds can spawn and retreat into a Start space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franck leopold
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for all your helpful answers, Alan !

About my last question :

1) Do you really want to say that NEW heroes can arrive from one of the five Start places ? nothing in the No Brains rulebook seems to allow this ... (unless i'm wrong, of course !)

2) Can i also Move the Civilians and Heroes who were placed in town center at the Start of the game in the five start spaces ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blush
Shame on me, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Thanks for the explanation, franck and CycyX. Only know this now~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franck leopold
France
flag msg tools
No harm at all, Jupiter999 !

By the way, for those interested in trying the No Brains mode, I have the answers to my two last questions (thanks to Alan Emrich and a read-through of the Rulebook) :

1) New heroes can ONLY enter the game by placing them in Town Center (rulebook p.3) .

2) As in all the other game modes, Player units (civilians, heroic civilians and heroes) cannot enter any of the five Start spaces as part of a Move action .

By the way, there was only one point of the (no brains) rules that remained unclear for me ; i asked it directly to the (fine) VPG crew and had my answer, so i add it here to help others :
● When a player unit who leveled-up earlier in a game (i.e. who have heart counter(s) on it) dies an go to the cemetary, these hearts are lost for the rest of this game .
So the total of level-ups available in a given game session is always limited to Five .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.