Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since our FLGS is local to the UK Gale Force Nine offices we were extremely lucky to have some pre-release copies to demo and buy today in store. We even had a copy of the Cardassian acrylic coated demo!

Anyhow, the store owner had been chatting to the demo guy (I was too busy playing on my copy with 2 other players) and apparently the Borg expansion is currently looking like it starts off with the Borg roaming the board NPC style until it assimilates one of the players. That player then continues playing AS THE BORG!

Hopefully this is true!

Other things I learned...

12 dice is not enough! The Romulan player needed 31 dice at one point!
It sucks when the Fed player (me) gets surrounded by pre-warp civilisations!
The Fed can really move around the board with the warp bonuses

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it!p and am now off to find some more dice in appropriate civilisation colours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Resistance is futile. I am Hugh.

Wait... You are me?

No. I am Hugh.

How can you be me?

You will lower your shields and- Actually, you're too stupid to be assimilated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:
Since our FLGS is local to the UK Gale Force Nine offices we were extremely lucky to have some pre-release copies to demo and buy today in store. We even had a copy of the Cardassian acrylic coated demo!

That's awesome, sounds like so much fun! Did you take pictures for us who suffer and toil as we wait for the game?

Quote:
the Borg roaming the board NPC style until it assimilates one of the players. That player then continues playing AS THE BORG!

That's a pretty big scoop! Wonder if it will represent how OP the Borg are.

Yet, now that I think of it, in the shows the Borg didn't really launch a full out invasion did they? They were only ever sending a Cube here or there, not a full on horde of cubes like they would have in the Delta Quadrant. Am I remembering things correctly?

Quote:
It sucks when the Fed player (me) gets surrounded by pre-warp civilizations!

Ya I was thinking about that as a major drawback playing the Feds. If you get really bad exploration deck card draws, you could be set back in a big way.

Quote:
All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it!p and am now off to find some more dice in appropriate civilization colours.

I wonder if GF9 will release custom dice? I'd love to have blood red dice where the pips are little Klingon symbols. I searched online for custom Star Trek dice and didn't find anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
1. It sounds awesome, but everyone would just want to get assimilated so that they could play the Borg!

2. I bought chessex dice for each species. I got thier 36 pack in each color and am using 12 for each faction. You never really need more than 10 because you can just roll each fleet 1 at a time (and with special abilities you should).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:

Anyhow, the store owner had been chatting to the demo guy (I was too busy playing on my copy with 2 other players) and apparently the Borg expansion is currently looking like it starts off with the Borg roaming the board NPC style until it assimilates one of the players. That player then continues playing AS THE BORG!

Hopefully this is true!

Other things I learned...

12 dice is not enough! The Romulan player needed 31 dice at one point!
It sucks when the Fed player (me) gets surrounded by pre-warp civilisations!
The Fed can really move around the board with the warp bonuses

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it!p and am now off to find some more dice in appropriate civilisation colours.

that would be totally cool if they could balance it right. any idea when the borg expansion was planned for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
1. It sounds awesome, but everyone would just want to get assimilated so that they could play the Borg!

2. I bought chessex dice for each species. I got thier 36 pack in each color and am using 12 for each faction. You never really need more than 10 because you can just roll each fleet 1 at a time (and with special abilities you should).

1. It's a shame I didn't get chance to talk to the guy directly (my own fault as I wanted to concentrate on playing) as I would have asked a ton of questions. There has to be a downside to being assimilated.

2. Our Romulan player rolled 31 at one point and only 6 of those were in a fleet with special rules! 12 wouldn't have been enough. Although I imagine with more experienced players we wouldn't have let him get so many ships in one place. I'm looking at some gem dice that also have an orange and a browny colour. Getting ready for the upcoming expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:
2. Our Romulan player rolled 31 at one point

You only get 30 ships in your entire supply. Assuming the last die came from a starbase, did he have every ship he can possibly have, defending a single system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leigh,

That's hilarious, and sounds like fun! Thanks for the info. Its another sign of how deeply GF9 will support the game, as opposed to the sad way Whiz Kids bailed on ST Fleet Captains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
Leighbob wrote:
2. Our Romulan player rolled 31 at one point

You only get 30 ships in your entire supply. Assuming the last die came from a starbase, did he have every ship he can possibly have, defending a single system?

Yep! The problem was that location formed a blockade into Romulan space so despite us both reaching level five ascendancy on the same turn there was no way I could get past and gain another sector since as the Feds I needed to spend culture to try hegemony. But I'd spent it getting my ascendancy token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Leigh,

That's hilarious, and sounds like fun! Thanks for the info. Its another sign of how deeply GF9 will support the game, as opposed to the sad way Whiz Kids bailed on ST Fleet Captains.

Two big box expansions for a really big box game is hardly 'bailing'. I'm sure if it was selling well and there was an audience for it there would have been more expansions. Perhaps the designer has got nothing more he wants to add to the game?

But let's not turn this into a wiz kids moaning thread!

I'm very excited to see what gf9 brings more this game but I wondering how enjoyable it will be with more than 3 players. At the demo yesterday my friend played in a 4 player (with the cardassian expansion) and despite enjoying the game he complained about the downtime. Especially if you are 1st player in one round then 4th the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:

This would be my concern as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Kahley
msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
John1701 wrote:

Wouldn't the person getting assimilated be the looser technically? Yes you get to be the Borg but you are (now) not really playing a player but assisting the game itself. You are kind of eliminated from the game and given administrative tasks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kahley wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
John1701 wrote:

Wouldn't the person getting assimilated be the looser technically? Yes you get to be the Borg but you are (now) not really playing a player but assisting the game itself. You are kind of eliminated from the game and given administrative tasks.

So what motivation does the player have to do anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Kahley
msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
kahley wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
John1701 wrote:

What motivation does a game master have in any game that requires one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kahley wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
kahley wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
John1701 wrote:

What motivation does a game master have in any game that requires one?

That's not the same thing at all. A game master is volunteering to be the administrator of the game from the beginning. A player who was playing to win but has now lost and is just relegated to performing administrative tasks has no investment in performing those tasks to any degree of competency.

So if a player loses and then just controls the Borg, what does he do? Who does he go after? If he can no longer win (because he has already lost), what is the point in doing anything? And if the player *can* still win as the Borg, then what is the penalty for having lost in the first instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, while he may no longer play as his faction, maybe he receives a new victory condition to go for with the borg.

at least, as borg controller he will still be playing the game instead of watching from the side what happens, this by itself is a good solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:
I'm very excited to see what gf9 brings more this game but I wondering how enjoyable it will be with more than 3 players. At the demo yesterday my friend played in a 4 player (with the cardassian expansion) and despite enjoying the game he complained about the downtime. Especially if you are 1st player in one round then 4th the next.

Downtime seems to be the big negative people are seizing upon...I'll be interested to see if house-ruling simultaneous turns really catches on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
kahley wrote:
Wouldn't the person getting assimilated be the looser technically?

You have a good point.

I'd just change the win conditions of the game then.

What if the Borg can assimilate other players too? When another player is assimilated, he joins "team Borg."

The game ends when all players are assimilated! Resistance is futile!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
kahley wrote:
Wouldn't the person getting assimilated be the looser technically?

You have a good point.

I'd just change the win conditions of the game then.

What if the Borg can assimilate other players too? When another player is assimilated, he joins "team Borg."

The game ends when all players are assimilated! Resistance is futile!

So in that case, do all players win or do all players lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eon Chao
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I was playing in Leighbob's game as the Klingon player and I didn't feel downtime was too big a deal. There's plenty going on so I could watch my opponent playing whilst taking the moment to have a snack. In addition as opposing players are rolling for hazards (and in our case drawing and reading out exploration cards) there's plenty to do. I think the main issue we had was the rocky start that both the Federation and Klingons had compared to the Romulans. I put this down to us only exploring one system on the first turn as we were in the first two priority places then in the last two for turn 2. So the Romulans got most of the top of the exploration deck whilst we ended up finding phenomenon earlier. We did talk about maybe only including planets without hazards in the starting stack as well but I'll need to wait to sit down with my copy to work out how viable that is. That said, even with the rocky starts we ended up with both Romulans and Federation on Ascendancy 5 and the Klingons on Ascendancy 4 at the end so it was still fairly close.

Overall I think it took us around 4 hours to play one game with 3 players, which considering it was their 1st game and my 2nd so we were still learning the game. I think as you become more savvy as to the quirks of the system then you'll be closer to 3 hours with 3 players. I do think 4 players will be the optimal for the game once an expansion is available but again, 4+ hour games aren't exactly unheard of these days.

All in all I think it's the best looking Star Trek board game in years. Some people will feel disconnected due to all your ships being the same but considering you're playing the growth phase of a whole civilisation (and the following cold war) that fits for me.

I have a few photos of the board as it grew but haven't really uploaded before. Do I do so through the gallery or can I do so easily enough in the thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any info on when the game will be available in UK stores?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
Any info on when the game will be available in UK stores?

The demo guy didn't know.

I think downtime with 3 was fine, might be stretching it with 4!

I'm confident gf9 with come up with something playable and enjoyable for the Borg if the base game is anything to go by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.