7,515 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anyone has taken the time to work out the expected values of each type of attack (heavy, bladed, firearm, spell, unarmed)?

To me (purely) empirically it seems to be nearly the same regardless of the type of attack, just a skill test of an varying attribute that all do about the same amount of damage. There doesn't seem to be an advantage of being armed, especially if a character like Preston uses an unarmed attack and the influence test comes up. He can do more damage than the guy with a .45
and this bugs me quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Funktastic
msg tools
dlikos wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has taken the time to work out the expected values of each type of attack (heavy, bladed, firearm, spell, unarmed)?

To me (purely) empirically it seems to be nearly the same regardless of the type of attack, just a skill test of an varying attribute that all do about the same amount of damage. There doesn't seem to be an advantage of being armed, especially if a character like Preston uses an unarmed attack and the influence test comes up. He can do more damage than the guy with a .45
and this bugs me quite a bit.

Spells often have a negative effect as well, this is a minor difference, but I agree that most other attacks are similar. Brass knuckles can be very effective, sometimes the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Choice of weapon type affects the ability tested, although not in a fixed relation, so heavy weapons tend to favour strength tests and ranged weapons agility tests, although either might have an observation test.

You typically need a minimum of 2 successes to do damage, otherwise you fail. Most failures seem to have no effect.

The damage caused is either:
weapon damage,
number of successes,
weapon damage + number of successes.

So using a weapon or spell with a higher damage stat usually helps.

I haven't played the game enough to judge the percentages (even if I've seen all of the messages, some might occur more frequently.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to that, there are some unarmed attacks that are just static damage, to add to your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranged can also me a benefit: it sometimes allows you to attack twice instead of once, or attack once and then run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.