6 Posts

The Dragon & Flagon» Forums » General

Subject: Movement seems far too limited. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
I played my first two games of this today, and while I enjoyed it, I got really frustrated with how slow your character moves across the board. The initial turns were spent rushing the dragon flagon. It was a two player game, and my two guys duked it wout with one of the other guy's characters.

What really sucked was having my back to the mage, which never moved off it's starting spot. It placed a familiar near the middle of the board, and was able to hit at least one of my characters with a 3 point damage spell every time it got to move.

The way movement made this miserable, is the fact that turning your character 180 degrees requires an action, so that's at least one turn. Then, if you run straight forward, you can take two steps, or one, and then that's two ticks on the timer. Then you get blasted by the mage's ice spell for another 3 damage +1 delay of movement for your character. The mage was at a 45 degree angle from me, across tables, so dashing didn't work. It ended up taking 2 turns to get from the starting point to the Dragon Flagon spot, then it took about 14 to get to the mage who was sitting on her starting spot. This was rather ridiculous. Also frustrating was the fact that the mage can use the mage's familiar to cast spells, and the only way to destroy it is to step on it's location (which takes a long time to move to) or throw a cup at it. After you spent five turns just running at the damned thing to step on it, she can cast it again and only have a 2 turn cooldown.

Why don't regular attacks work against the freaking cat>?! If I can hit it with a mug, why can't other attacks hit it? Using a crapload of cards to move over to it and stand on it makes the mage seriously OP. Especially, since the mages spells tend to have no range limit, so she can just hang out on the edge and pick you off.

The mage in our game easily had half the total reputation. I'd depleted the other guy to nothing, but the mage just kept draining my characters.

It was incredibly frustrating.

I'm hoping this is just because of the game being two player, and only four characters on the board making it easy for the mage, and not it being an overpowered character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
Oh, and also, I think that move needs a change. Instead of moving only being left one, right one, and two forward, it should also include the capability of taking one step backwards. This would be huge. I don't see why it's not already in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The Dragon & Flagon: Available at Gencon!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you had a negative experience. I just wanted to make sure that you realized that you could face any direction after an action. I wasn't sure why you were saying that it took multiple actions to turn 180 degrees.

Swing and Dash are also good options to get out of the way quickly.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
It wasn't an entirely negative experience, I just mean that for my character to turn around, I have to do another action and face that character in the opposite direction at the end of that turn. Then I can move, two tiles straight ahead or one to the left/right. If a character is 7 tiles away from you diagonally, it takes a long time to get to them. One action followed by turning south so you can effectively move next turn. Then you move the timer based on that previous action, typically it's a 2. If you only use the move option, it would take at least 12 turns. Getting hit by the mage with that frost spell will add an few extra turns in there, and by the time you get over there you have no reputation.

Dash would decrease this time, but there seemed to always be tables in the way, or people.

I still wish movement allowed a one backward step as an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kooreth wrote:

Why don't regular attacks work against the freaking cat>?! If I can hit it with a mug, why can't other attacks hit it? Using a crapload of cards to move over to it and stand on it makes the mage seriously OP. Especially, since the mages spells tend to have no range limit, so she can just hang out on the edge and pick you off.

The mage has only one attack without a range limit, and that attack is limited in the squares it can affect. The familiar can be placed anywhere, but attacks from it are still range limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Without having played it yet, I'd say the game is designed to really shine with four players and up. Playing a two player game with two characters each might work theoretically, but, as you've witnessed, takes a lot of fun out of the game. Imo the game's supposed to be chaotic fun, not an exercise in strategic planning, which it boils down more to with just two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.