Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb
I have a lot of brothers and sisters (nine). I understand that this game is a lot of fun at about 6 players. So I was wondering which of the expansions would be best to get to 6 players? 6 is good as I can trade washing up and various other chores with game time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

The game is fun with any number of planes, possibly from 4 up. We even played in 100 people at the same table! See The Largest Wings of War/Glory Game ever.

With a second copy of the game you have 8 maneuvre decks of balanced planes, so that's perfect to play in 6-8.

With Wings of War: Burning Drachens you get 2 more maneuvre decks so, with Famous Aces too, you can play in 6. Plus you get balloons, AA guns and ground machineguns to variate the game. The added planes are a bit weaker but you can get two balanced teams, even if some planes in the team will be strongers than others.

For the same effect (get to 6 planes with balanced teams) you can get a booster pack with two fighters: I'd suggest Wings of War: Top Fighters Booster Pack, Wings of War: Dogfight Booster Pack, Wings of War: Hit & Run Booster Pack. With some more unbalance, Wings of War: Immelmann Booster Pack.

On a totally different note you can buy six Wings of Glory: WW1 Airplane Packs and play with miniatures. In that case just ask and I'll suggest balanced ones. Please notice that a Wings of Glory: WW1 Duel Pack costs more or less as two miniatures, it actually contains 2 miniatures but you get more damage cards, rulers, counters with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrea, are those old wings of war expansions/ rules still available?

If just starting out, probably easier and more accessible to track down the wings of glory rules and minis?

Lots of fun with any number of players... just add more (or fewer) planes per person. Less skilled players perhaps get 2 planes vs 1 for more experienced pilots... or 1 pilot has a larger plane (bomber) vs other players with one or two fighters (scouts) each... Enjoy (and good luck trading chores!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You can still find the old 'cards only' versions at some places, and the booster packs are a great way to increase the number of players.

I also like the 'old ones' because the control panels are a lot more substantial than the newer ones.

2. I don't at all agree that good 'balance' is giving new folks 2 planes, especially in a 6 player environment. Running 2 planes at once is not easy for veterans, and about the only time I would encourage it is if there are only 2 people playing, since "1 versus 1" can be a slow game, depending on the airplane types.

3. The "Duel" packs are a fabulous way to get started in the game-- 2 planes plus a damage deck (critical) plus the chits and ruler you need.
Right now, the two Duels both have only the "A" damage deck, but I read somewhere that they will eventually have a Duel that includes the B deck (which would be helpful). One nice thing about the minies is that they include the maneuver deck and an 'airplane card,' that is just like the cards only version-- so if you got Famous Aces (generally the easiest old one to find) and 2 minies (or a Duel set), then you would have six maneuver decks and the plane cards to use together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards-only stuff can still be found around, but it is become rarer with time and will not be expanded. If somebody thinks that he will go on with the game,better to swap to Wings of Glory (and all is 100% compatible with Wings of War).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've handled up to three planes at once...but it's very difficult gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks for all the answers. I went with the cards, Famous Aces and Drachen. Wings of Glory is a bit out of my budget.

I noticed 'Watch your back' didn't get mentioned. It's going cheap on BGG market place, but the seller is asking for a money order, which I don't think I can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started off with the cards only...but after I got a few minis the game just appealed much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.