Hide
19 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: 2p? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarge Tate
msg tools
My wife and I are both gamers and we both love games with a lot of randomness. I'm a huge horror fan. She adores Westerns. Obviously this game has caught our attention now that we are aware of it. However, in my experience, a lot of games just aren't very fun with only two players. So, o holders of arcane knowledge, what say you? Is this like so many other games where you really need a third (at least) even though the box says otherwise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey...
me and my boyfriend play this as a 2p. We started with 2 heroes each, but at 1st is too hard (though note that later is too easy with 4 players). We also love playing with the abilities and skills of different characters so we decided to play 4 characters (2 player each)

In my opinion is extremely doable and no that hard as long as you are average experience gamer and can keep track of your abilities on 2 different characters.

That said I don't think you NEED to play with more than 2p. who knows it might be more challenging and fun that way after mission 3 (which did not scale well with 4 character)

Please not IMO this game is great, but to be challenging you WOULD need to upped the difficulty. In all honestly we did so many houserule that it should be version 2 by now lol. It was really lame when no one was in danger of dying, 1-2 characters could wipe all the enemies and such.

If you go ahead and get it, I would advice one core set + addons enemies (jargono sepertments, master of voids being my fav)
the 2 core set give you nice variation in terrain, but the enemies are just too similar in play and do not add much

hope that help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two-player is awesome, my son and I play 2-player all the time. The game scales based on the number of players so if you add more players it will still be fun (although 4 players is the most I would play with, games are too long at 5-6). Two players is just fine though...

- John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Lampen
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mb
Me and my wife love this game. Really scratches the right itch for us, when we find the time to play it. We each play two heroes, which seems to work out pretty well for us. Biggest problem doing that is the amount of space it can take up in front of you.

If you only use two heroes, one apiece, you don't get to draw Epic threats, which would be a shame. You could always do some house-ruling to draw Epic threats anyway of course. I don't think the game is super-carefully balanced, so you should feel free to hack it a bit if you want to make some small changes.

The system is pretty flexible. We've gotten kind of hobbyist about this game, hacking it a bit to our liking. We use Hexcrawl rules (one of the most popular fan-expansions, creating a persistent overworld), and create our own mini-campaign stories, mixing together missions from the rulebook and our own, while exploring the weird west.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
What are you looking at?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only downside to two players is you will not see many of the Epic threat monsters. Still, it is playable with two and I have played several times with that many players. It is tough to start, but once you get some gear and start leveling, it becomes less brutal.

I'd suggest playing shorter scenarios the first couple of times, like the Fist Full of Darkstone/For a Few Darkstone More at the shortest time level to give yourself some experience and try and get some gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. C.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play 2P, 1 hero each, and we find our hero's after finding some cool Gear, Artefacts and going up a few levels we are just as able to rough house it against the Epic threats as some of the soft " we need more men and women to investigate the nightmarish mines" type town folks .

Whilst the rules recommend not using the Epics, you will reach the point when you will need to GM the difficulty to maintain the challenge. Their is no pre defined point for this as the game does not know out of all the fantastic options available what gear you are equipped with, however you will recognise it when the time has come.

Our current level 6 pairing are now at the stage where we fight against high threat cards on the Brutal side as standard.

Once you reach the higher levels and are fully equipped a single hero can put out ( and withstand ) some quite serious fire power. My wife's Drifter ( agility 4 ) has 2 trusty pistols ( both with DS grips ) hitting on +3 and in our last game found the outlaws gun belt which ignores the penalty for Duel wielding. which will mean some real bad news for some of those UGLEEEE critters hiding in the mines.

My Prospector will have a whole lot less mopping up to do in future, not that he cant take care of himself anyway! and often does as he finds him self straggling along. its not his fault, age, a cranky Knee ( That might just be me! ) and a hankering for any thing of value are apt to slow you down.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as we do, no matter how you choose to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the start of a campaign with 2. So brutal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My brother and I have only played with two players, each player controlling one Hero, and we always have a blast! I would recommend, though, that once you get to 3rd or 4th level, you start drawing Medium Threats instead of Low ones and Epic Threats instead of High ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've played solitaire with 4 characters and 2 player with 4 characters (2 each) and both games went very well. Controlling 2 characters is a doddle. Also protects you from being knocked out of the game if the character is disabled or killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the other posters. Controlling multiple heroes is pretty easy with Shadows of Brimstone. Playing with only 2 heroes is challenging because it's harder to body-block doorways and mobs are laser focused on the 2 heroes, making it harder to shelter characters that are in trouble. On average, 2 hero posses are going to be facing more foes at any given time than 4 hero posses, which means more opportunities to take damage each turn. There's also less carrying capacity, even though scenarios still require the same number of exploration tokens meaning you'll leave more loot behind.

I'm currently playing with two other people so we've got a 3 hero posse. It helps that we have a Nun that's focused on healing though. It really worked out for us in the lower levels before we had an abundance of damage reduction and heals.

I am looking forward to starting a new posse in the future with different characters once these heroes get killed or level out of the game. Currently we're level 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge Tate
msg tools
I appreciate all of the feedback! Thank you to everyone who has answered my question.

However, after further research, I see a lot of people saying that you really need both base sets and some expansions. This seems like an awful lot of money. Do the individual base set campaigns not last very long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My gf and I play 2 player all the time.
We use 1 char each.
It's tough at low level, but once you level up a few times you do better.
I feel like the key to a small posse at low level is having some healing in the party. Even if it's just the saloon girl's soothing presence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Expalphalog wrote:
However, after further research, I see a lot of people saying that you really need both base sets and some expansions. This seems like an awful lot of money. Do the individual base set campaigns not last very long?

Based on the sheer amount of stuff Frog has produced and pipelined for SOB, the tremendous amount of fan-created content, the rabid reaction of fans, and my own limited experience thereof, I would offer a resounding 'No!'. Shadows of brimstone, it would appear, is less a board game than it is a hobby unto itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
Expalphalog wrote:

Based on the sheer amount of stuff Frog has produced and pipelined for SOB, the tremendous amount of fan-created content, the rabid reaction of fans, and my own limited experience thereof, I would offer a resounding 'No!'. Shadows of brimstone, it would appear, is less a board game than it is a hobby unto itself.

the problem is the enemies become really dull.

That said if you are not playing 24/7; I would say that Swamp core game, jargono sepertmen, master of voids are good enough.
the problem become the epics.. you only have ONE epic on the core, with seperntman and master there is one more on each. So you would get bored of the same epic easy. They have 2 others sold separately (I own one, hopping to get burrow soon)

I have own the game for 1.5 years, and still no bored. THAT said I have a LOT of boardgames so this does not get play as much. And even though now I stop buying expansion (have too many) I did spend quite a bit so it would be hard for it to get repetitive fast.

I like the game, but honestly I would not say to others to go for it as 1st option. It has quite a bit of room for improvement and is quite pricey to keep it fresh.

This is a very different game.. but have you try Eldritch horror? probably one of my fav "horror" games out there, and with a LOT of replay with much much less money and time consuming (no building mini and no scaling issues) As Rob said, this might be more a modeling hobby than a boardgame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge Tate
msg tools
I have not tried Eldritch Horror. We greatly enjoyed Arkham Horror back in the day but it took too long to setup, play, and then tear down. Our game nights typically only consist of about two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expalphalog wrote:
I have not tried Eldritch Horror. We greatly enjoyed Arkham Horror back in the day but it took too long to setup, play, and then tear down. Our game nights typically only consist of about two hours.

oh then you definitely don't want to go for SoB, is going to take much more than 2h (unless you leave it at the table)

I did foamcore tray to speed up, so set up takes me much less (also for EH) but a game would go for around 3-4h

sorry man, I really don't know which one to recommend on the genre that has average of 2h

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find that you enjoy the game so much that one core box no longer seems like enough.

For two players, I think that Swamps of Death is the better choice, because you can have one of you play as preacher/nun which helps a lot. Even so, you can check out Catweazle's often hilarious two player run throughs on Youtube to see how it can work.

Up until recently I was playing a two-player campaign weekly. We generally were done with most adventures within 1.5-2 hours, some in under and hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge Tate
msg tools
I'll do that, thank you.

I tend to avoid playthrough videos because so many of them are just boring or annoying so I'm glad to get a recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel like most missions take about 2 hours.
Night of the Dead takes longer cause it's a major grind-fest with all the respawning zombies.

I've finished a mission in like 20 minutes too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.