Popular Tags: [View All]
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I use the solo expansion whilst still in the "learning" phase of the game, or should I wait until I've gone through the whole core rulebook first. I just finished Section 1 and played a game and had a great time, but playing both sides by myself was difficult, and somehow it ended in a tie surprise. Damn right half of my brain ruined my left half's huge early lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo game does ramp up the complexity somewhat quickly. But I see NO reason you couldn't use the expansion to play the missions in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd say it depends on how your brain processes layers of technical rules, and what sort of learning you're comfortable with. Really, only you can answer your own question. But to help you out, I faced exactly the same question a few weeks ago and can share my decision:

I recently bought COH:AtB after already buying the solo expansion beforehand (the expansion was easier to find). Regardless, I decided to learn the game first, then play the solo expansion. I'm still in the middle of playing the odd-numbered scenarios (1-7) of the core game (scenarios 1, 3, 5, 7). When I'm done, I'll then dig into the solo expansion (though I've already acquainted myself with the solo rules).

Why? I figured it's most important to acquaint my self with the core game first, to a point where I'm familiar with it and its mechanics. By proceeding section by section through the rulebook and solo-playing the odd numbered scenarios when called-for, is for me, the best way to learn the game.

Why? Because the solo rules add a whole new and separate level of game play ontop of the game you're already playing. Plus the solo rules change some of the fundamental standard rules and I intend to play CoH both face to face and solo. It's like learning multiplication and addition before learning Algebra. Sure you could learn it all at the same time, but I prefer to lay the foundation first.

So again, I figure it's best to learn the core game as designed so to become familiar with it, then transition to and play the solo game with its added-on layer of mechanisms, rules, and rules changes.

But still, it's ultimately up to you... if you never intend to play CoH with another person and always intend to play using the solo rules, and have a brain that's comfortable keeping the core rules and the solo rules separate, yet at the same time morph them together, then you might want to consider learning with the solo expansion. Only you can know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll do it the same as you then. I can barely remember the rules to the other games I have, I don't need to make it harder than necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
The solo game does ramp up the complexity somewhat quickly. But I see NO reason you couldn't use the expansion to play the missions in the base game.

FWIW the solo expansion can't be used to play base game scenarios "out of the box" as published, because the solo expansion needs additional scenario information (mission track, which AI cards to include in the deck). Some players have been creating some unofficial solo versions of base game scenarios, but AFAIK most have not yet been converted.

Anyway, to the OP, I would recommend playing a few base game scenarios with base game rules, even if it's just you soloing both sides, to grok the basic rules before adding in the additional complexity of the AI rules (which are indeed much more complex/confusing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
I'm in a not dissimilar position: Ive played 5 or so of the AtB scenarios solo a few times pretty successfully with the standard rules where there are not too many hidden units (plus 2-3 ftf games) but now have the solo expansion, unboxed, and am dithering what to do next. I would second the motion that its a good idea to get the standard rules down pat first, especially if ftf is/may be a possibility for you.

I also think there's also another more unknown factor for me, which is that if the solo expansion lives up to its hype, it may detract a bit from me enjoying going back to playing solo with the standard system - and there are only so many scenarios in the solo module. Academy Games are a small company with quite high standards and cannot pump these games out every year, and as far as I can see from a cursory look we are not due another solo module from them imminently. So part of me thinks I should first explore some of the existing CoH possibilities (AtB, Ss, Po H) before I crack the AtB solo expansion. Sort of eating my greens before I get pudding, I suppose.... However, I must admit, another voice on my other shoulder is telling me life is short, do the best stuff first....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
samwise46 wrote:
I'm in a not dissimilar position: Ive played 5 or so of the AtB scenarios solo a few times pretty successfully with the standard rules where there are not too many hidden units (plus 2-3 ftf games) but now have the solo expansion, unboxed, and am dithering what to do next.

Then I'd bet that you probably are comfy enough with the base rules to start using the solo expansion rules!

Quote:
I also think there's also another more unknown factor for me, which is that if the solo expansion lives up to its hype, it may detract a bit from me enjoying going back to playing solo with the standard system - and there are only so many scenarios in the solo module.

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear – Firefight Generator lets you generate random solitaire scenarios. (I've not used it, but if I ever exhaust the scenarios in the solo expansion, then this would be my next acquisition...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, the Firefight Generator does indeed generate solo missions, specifically for use with the Solo expansion! Great point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.