Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the app in a video review and saw that it managed a lot of things making the game almost playable as the app only. I thought I could simply download the game and get a taste of the game.

I wonder if they intend to release the whole game on the app as much of the work is already being implemented. It would take much less space in my closet would be less expansive but playable solo only.

As for the expansion, I wonder if there will be story expansions that would not require any physical components, allowing to buy extra stuff digitally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how anyone could play the game with only the app. No way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the app you are missing:

1 - investigator and monster current locations
2 - investigator items and spells
3 - ability to roll dice for tests
4 - investigator skills numbers to determine skill test results
5 - all horror and wound cards with their respective text and conditions
6 - all monster tokens with brawn/horror/evade skill numbers and special ability descriptions

The game is not even close to playable without the physical components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't play the game but if you are somewhat familiar with the game from reviews, similiar games (or 1st ed) or the rule book I think you can get somewhat of a feeling for the game and how it plays with just the app, but beware of spoiling yourself for the real playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Upton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgoga wrote:
You can't play the game but if you are somewhat familiar with the game from reviews, similiar games (or 1st ed) or the rule book I think you can get somewhat of a feeling for the game and how it plays with just the app, but beware of spoiling yourself for the real playthrough.

+1.

I did this to see if the app was going to be up my alley or not. I found that the app streamlined what otherwise would be stacks of card decks and rulebooks. It definitely did not replace the board game experience, just changed the resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
If you're very familiar with the game and it's mechanics, the answer is a definite yes. I can understand why some would want to dissuade you however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but beware of spoiling yourself for the real playthrough.

Yes, that is something I am scared of doing since the story is pretty much scripted, but I think there are some random variations.

I think the idea would be to have some sort of try before you buy, without needing to actually play the real game (or find somebody who has the game) which is much more complex to find than just trying out the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To be honest, I have tried the app before buying the game. After that I was really unsure about actual gameplay, I almost decided to not buy the game. But in the end I decide to give it try an ordered the game. It was a blast and instant success in my play group.

So I would be very cautious about judging the game after toying with the app, it might give you false impressions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just checked the price ... Ouch! between 120$ and 140$ CAD. Wow! board game hobby is now really expansive. I know it's a big box.

Wow, expansion box are 65$. compared to 20$ for the first edition. I do hope they make a full app version. Even at 10$ it would be a bargain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I have just checked the price ... Ouch! between 120$ and 140$ CAD. Wow! board game hobby is now really expansive. I know it's a big box.

Wow, expansion box are 65$. compared to 20$ for the first edition. I do hope they make a full app version. Even at 10$ it would be a bargain.

The base game MSRP is only $10 (USD) more than the first edition.
The expansions which are both designed to give you all the 1st edition minis and tiles are less expensive than the MSRP of their respective 1st edition portions and are WAY less expensive than you can currently buy 1st edition for.

But yes...the game is expensive. But no...there is little to no hope of FFG ever making a full app version. They want to sell the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
owen sullivan
United States
Ellisville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Technically you could play this without the boardgame. You would need to create all your own cards and chits for monsters though. It would be a lot of work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I thought I could simply download the game and get a taste of the game.

No, that wont work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lots of good points above.

My answer here is "it depends". It depends on what you mean by "taste".

A buddy of mine did exactly what you're thinking of doing and decided to get the game after experiencing the first scenario with just the App. He just wanted to understand the app mechanics and interaction since he's not really a huge fan of boardgames requiring Apps.

You'll definitely be missing out on the full experience, but I think you could absolutely get a "taste" of MoM by simply downloading the App.

BUT....

Before you go there, I'd highly recommend Rodney's intro video below. I think you get just as good of an App intro with it with NO spoilers. Check it out if you have 30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordevilthefirst wrote:
Technically you could play this without the boardgame. You would need to create all your own cards and chits for monsters though. It would be a lot of work.

To that point though...technically you could play all board games without the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
True, just just need a very good memory or a lot of paper to note information. There is apparently a puerto rico game that can be played in an excel spread sheet.

Quote:
Before you go there, I'd highly recommend Rodney's intro video below.

I watched Tom Vassel's video, so I have a rough idea of how the game works without spoilers.

As for not making the full app, elder sign has a full app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
You couldn't play the game with only the App but you can definitely get a 'taste' of it. In fact, I recommend anyone to download it and try it before buying the game. Why not? It's free. Obviously, don't 'play' a full game as you will spoil the proper experience but try it and explore a couple of rooms to get a feel for how it works. If you get excited doing that and feel like you want to play 'for real' then obviously you know its a game you want to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
larienna wrote:

The base game MSRP is only $10 (USD) more than the first edition.
The expansions which are both designed to give you all the 1st edition minis and tiles are less expensive than the MSRP of their respective 1st edition portions and are WAY less expensive than you can currently buy 1st edition for.

But yes...the game is expensive. But no...there is little to no hope of FFG ever making a full app version. They want to sell the board game.

I could possibly see a full app once the hotness fades and the next great things come along causing sales to drop. But I wouldn't see that happening any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I...
I wonder if they intend to release the whole game on the app as much of the work is already being implemented. It would take much less space in my closet would be less expansive but playable solo only.

Only a small percentage of the game is in the app. Component interactions are a huge amount of work. For example, you not only have to program how a particular card works but have to take into consideration how it works with every other component. There are many dozens of cards and monsters and abilities that have to be taken into consideration of each and every component.

While it is bit of a start, it would be a huge undertaking to turn it into a fully standalone version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the idea, the APP just basically tells you the stuff in the room, it only reveal hidden information, but it does not handle rules and unique ability text which is normally harder to program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
don't, you will ruin your eventual playing experience.

its great, just get it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.