$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just trying some solitaire run thrus to learn the rules and dropping those 1 bronze cubes on each resource each turn seemed a little tedious and it got me to thinking: Why not just start at 0 resource production? You're going to do it anyway once you play the big boy and girl Corporate Era version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe solo could be played only with corporate era, so production should be set to 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jakub is right. Solo play is always played with Corporate Era, so basic production is 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
AH, to clarify, I'm currently doing a little "solitaire" two imaginary player BUT I was wondering what it would be like to just play without the 1 production for each resource when I play with my wife later. Would it be too hard for two beginner players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the corporate era cards, many of which boost production, I think starting at zero production would make for a rather uninteresting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
skutsch wrote:
Just trying some solitaire run thrus to learn the rules and dropping those 1 bronze cubes on each resource each turn seemed a little tedious and it got me to thinking: Why not just start at 0 resource production? You're going to do it anyway once you play the big boy and girl Corporate Era version of the game.

As well, you start with a production value of one (the player colored cube set to one), you don't start with one item (bronze cube) for each resource when playing the standard game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having done it accidentally, we didn't find the game uninteresting. However, it did run a little longer than perhaps would be normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
briezee wrote:
Having done it accidentally, we didn't find the game uninteresting. However, it did run a little longer than perhaps would be normal.

I agree with this post. I think the game would work fine, but the first turns would be slightly less interesting because you'd have less resources with which to pay for projects. The 2-player game takes the longest, so I wouldn't recommend starting with 0 resource production unless you're playing the Corporate Era game.

I think a good first game with 2 players is to play the standard game. You'll be able to play construction and space cards earlier because of your starting steel/titanium production, which will get the terraforming going earlier and snowball into a quicker game. Then for your second game you can go all out Corporate Era if you want. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Edens
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
The beginner game with the absence of the corporate era cards, using the beginner corporations give each play 10 starring cards, and finally 1 production on all areas makes the game short. I mean like a number of generations short. Which is the point. The beginner game is meant to be quick and an introduction to the mechanics. It is not meant to be the one game you ever play of terraforming Mars and get the full effect from. So taking the production away would in my mind make the beginner game bad. It would lengthen the game in which your real purpose for playing it is to get a handle on the rules and not actually get the full effect of the game. So if you decide to play beginner go by the rules in the book but if you want to play it "for real" use the normal version with the corporations and corporate era cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
msg tools
Lord_Aethan wrote:
Jakub is right. Solo play is always played with Corporate Era, so basic production is 0.

Ahh, I just got on to ask about this, nice to get the answer here. I did solo games with just the base cards and started my production at 0, but was dubious on that since I had no corp bonuses. I managed to complete the terraforming both times by 14, but I could only afford like 1 action a generation for the first 6, really slow start.

If I can ask a related question, so if I'm doing a 2p basic game, do we both still get 1 production in all categories even if using the nonbasic corporations?
Edit: Nevermind, found a thread in Rules, you do get 1 in all plus the corp bonus in the basic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.