$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 65.14

4,594 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.9% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How many scenarios are in a campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I just learned about this game and I haven't found info on how the campaign works. I understand that the results of one scenario carries over to the next. But is a complete campaign in the base set? Or does it continue to expansions? Also, will they be doing small scenario expansions like in LoTR: LCG? It looks like the first expansion is a "Deluxe expansion."

Any info on how they will structure the expansions and/or links to info would be appreciated.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on my phone, so I can't give links and stuff, but here's what we know. The core set is a three scenario campaign, with no information to expand it. The first expansion is a deluxe, the dunwich legacy, and has two scenarios in that box, with six scenarios expanding it in mythos packs after, for a total of 8.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doma0997 wrote:
I'm on my phone, so I can't give links and stuff, but here's what we know. The core set is a three scenario campaign, with no information to expand it. The first expansion is a deluxe, the dunwich legacy, and has two scenarios in that box, with six scenarios expanding it in mythos packs after, for a total of 8.


Cool. Thanks. I saw information about the first Deluxe expansion. But where did you hear/read about the six scenarios expanding the deluxe? I haven't heard of "mythos packs." (Sounds pretty dope though. )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the only thing I am concerned about is playing through part of a campaign and then having to wait a while for the next installment. With LoTR:lcg this isn't a problem because I can reset and play a scenario multiple times with different decks, solo, two-player, etc. Since each scenario resets it isn't a problem. The only thing that carries over is story line. But if Arkham Horror: LCG is truly a campaign where the results of one scenario effects the next, then (depending on how they structure things) I might not replay the same scenario many times.

(Truthfully it probably doesn't matter because I will likely buy it anyway. I already told my wife about it and she was excited about the concept.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was in the announcement article for dunwich about how much it would be expanded. Maybe someone else can post it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Dunwich Legacy doesn't just allow you to explore two new scenarios and their challenges; it serves as the introduction to the whole The Dunwich Legacy campaign, the subsequent chapters of which will be released in an upcoming cycle of Mythos Packs.

...

Each of the six Mythos Packs that complete the cycle adds new layers of intrigue and new challenges that you can enjoy either as a standalone adventure or as a part of an eight-act mystery. And it all starts with the scenarios and encounter sets from The Dunwich Legacy.


Adventure Pack, Chapter Pack, Data Pack, Mythos Pack, FFG just likes to tweak the name of the small expansions for each game.

As you are used to LOTR there's nothing new here in the format, only that core is more like a LOTR Saga expansion than a Deluxe this time around.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Quote:
The Dunwich Legacy doesn't just allow you to explore two new scenarios and their challenges; it serves as the introduction to the whole The Dunwich Legacy campaign, the subsequent chapters of which will be released in an upcoming cycle of Mythos Packs.

...

Each of the six Mythos Packs that complete the cycle adds new layers of intrigue and new challenges that you can enjoy either as a standalone adventure or as a part of an eight-act mystery. And it all starts with the scenarios and encounter sets from The Dunwich Legacy.


Adventure Pack, Chapter Pack, Data Pack, Mythos Pack, FFG just likes to tweak the name of the small expansions for each game.

As you are used to LOTR there's nothing new here in the format, only that core is more like a LOTR Saga expansion than a Deluxe this time around.



Well, not quite. The first cycle of Adventure packs for LoTR followed the core set. Then they had a deluxe expansion. But I would not be asking my question if there wasn't a campaign element to the game. If every scenario was stand alone I wouldn't care how they released things. I just wanted to know how long the campaigns were.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is discussion going on another forum about who is going to play scenario by scenario and who is going to play when they all come out. I can't wait 6 months to play a story in one go, and I'll play it again anyway at that time. What I'm goingto do is print out enough campaign log sheets for each character, and run them all simultaneously through it, so I get plenty of value. Just have to log a lot of deck lists...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quote from the Dunwich announcement mentioned the length and what Mythos packs were.

There's no reason to expect that the individual missions aren't just as replayable as the the packs in LOTR. LOTR already has a campaign that's been going for years. But all the quests have to stand alone.

There isn't going to be a huge amount of book keeping



And it's practically guaranteed that the Geek will be full of Campaign Tracker spreadsheets and apps.

Like the Hobbit Boxes, deckbuilding will still be a thing, only you might have earned a treasure or title to bring with you to the next one. The addition here a few points of XP will allow you to upgrade a card level.

If the game is to allow meaningful decisions and rewards then the campaign/individual scenarios have to allow for the previous to have gone as terrible as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably going to end up just waiting for the full thing to finish releasing then just playing though the whole thing at once as Thematically I think that will be the most fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Dunwich article (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Each of the six Mythos Packs that complete the cycle adds new layers of intrigue and new challenges that you can enjoy either as a standalone adventure or as a part of an eight-act mystery. And it all starts with the scenarios and encounter sets from The Dunwich Legacy.


So you're free to tackle these as stand-alone scenarios to your heart's content.

I think what I'll be doing is have one or two "main" decks which I play through the campaign with and dedicate the first play of each mythos pack, and then a few others that I can play around with and try stand-alone adventures...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doma0997 wrote:
There is discussion going on another forum about who is going to play scenario by scenario and who is going to play when they all come out. I can't wait 6 months to play a story in one go, and I'll play it again anyway at that time. What I'm goingto do is print out enough campaign log sheets for each character, and run them all simultaneously through it, so I get plenty of value. Just have to log a lot of deck lists...


This is my plan as well. I just really want to try all the characters, and after Dunwich comes out we'll have ten! I don't know how long I'll be able to keep that going though. It seems very possible to play through the core set campaign with each character. That's 15 games (assuming I never lose, which is a stupid thing to assume), and it'll probably be a little bit before Dunwich comes out so there should be time. But then when that hits now I've gotta play Dunwich 10 times through with all the new characters, and possibly take my favorites from the core set through as well. And then when each Mythos pack comes out that's another 5-10 plays at least.

Sooner or later another deluxe will come out and we'll get a bunch more characters and eventually I've got 25 campaigns going at once. I might need to buy a few extra cores just so I don't have to tear all those decks apart. I wonder how many I'll need? I'll go start a thread to ask about that though, I don't wanna derail this one...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget The Curse of the Rougarou POD adventure that will debut at Arkham Nights 2016 and will eventually be made for sale to the public. I'm not quite sure if this will be it's own mini campaign or if it can thematically be part of the Core or Dunwich campaigns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Don't forget The Curse of the Rougarou POD adventure that will debut at Arkham Nights 2016 and will eventually be made for sale to the public. I'm not quite sure if this will be it's own mini campaign or if it can thematically be part of the Core or Dunwich campaigns.


Well, if the LotR POD's are anything to go by the POD Adventures are standalone.
But some of them do fit in between other adventures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confident there is nothing stopping you from playing the individual packs as standalones. You can already do that in the Saga expansions for LOTR. Between the option to level up your deck and modify the chaos bag's contents it seems like there is a lot of play to adjust the difficulty of a given scenario (and you can always just assume certain choices were made in earlier campaign scenarios to try out different configurations).

Also the core is a standalone 3 scenario campaign so you can play that to completion at launch and we'll have a POD right out the gate. That combined with the fact that after the first deluxe we'll have 10 investigators plus 2 big boxes worth of player cards should give the already released scenarios a decent amount of replayability right at the beginning. Sounds like FFG forecasts all that happening before Christmas.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lutz
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long do you think a scenario might take? The base game has three and i just wonder how many hours just playing the 3 scenarios will take.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
60 +/- 30 minutes would be my guess.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
The Rog wrote:
roborob wrote:
Don't forget The Curse of the Rougarou POD adventure that will debut at Arkham Nights 2016 and will eventually be made for sale to the public. I'm not quite sure if this will be it's own mini campaign or if it can thematically be part of the Core or Dunwich campaigns.


Well, if the LotR POD's are anything to go by the POD Adventures are standalone.
But some of them do fit in between other adventures.


There were two LotR PODs that could be fit into the lord of the rings saga campaign: The Old Forest and Fog at the Barrow Downs. They came with additional rules describing how to incorporate these PODs into the campaign play, as well as additional boons that could be added to the campaign pool upon successful completion.

I'm sure FFG will do something similar for Arkham LCG eventually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.