Subject: Running the Gauntlet. "Heads Up!" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
You are disintegrating.Into everything around.Reintegrating.The worm we dug from higher ground.You have let go of ego.Ego is no longer you.Closer to nirvana.Since the porter's whistle blew. With Us!
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally had a chance to play Invaders from Dimension X!
I chose the first scenario, Running the Gauntlet with the winning victory for the marines to get off the map on the eastern side two Logistics, one HQ, and one combat unit.

Several mistakes were made, some were caught, others I didn’t realize until reviewing these photos. I hope these images offer a sense of the fun and campy, sci-fi b-movie adventure this game has to offer.

My two scouts were incapacitated by alien attacks.

On the next turn, the Heavy Weapons and HQ units advanced along the road while Scouts began to improve their dire situation

The Multi-frequency Phase Nulifier did not have much affect on this game.

HQ doing what it does best!

The Scouts continue to come back

One Scout attempted his Jump Pack action and had some success.

Meanwhile the Heavies were taking potshots at the Invaders, but coming up empty on their ammo.

The Invaders, sensing something was up with these Humans, answered with their own strategic responses...chaos of the Warp Jump!

On another turn, the Invaders decided to let their Warrior #2 shut down and go dormant. Weird.
What were those critters up to. Regardless, the other Scout was able to return to Active duty.

As the Marines made their way across the map, the Aliens revealed their hand: Drop Pods.
Of course, how obvious!

One mistake I made and later realized were the double 1s the Heavy Weapons had rolled earlier when attacking one Invader.
They hadn’t attacked since that point, so it was simple enough to remedy

The Scout takes out the dormant Warrior #2. “Sweet dreams, Sleeping Beauty!”

The marines in the southeast were dealing with an alien in the Blasted Hills.

With some breathing room, the marines decided to attempt do some Recon.

The Heavies, suspecting the Invaders to launch an attack, attempt to establish Strongholds with some success.

During the Invaders’ activation, Recon discovered a Warp Jump was in operation.

The Warp Jump brought two aliens within very close proximity to the marines.
The marines continued their long trek.

On the next turn, one of the dropped Invaders works itself into a frenzy and eliminates the furthermost marine.
“Curse you, Buggy!”

Seeking to return the favor, the Marines switch into battle mode firing at the Warior #3 in the Blasted Hills, but that buggy is dug in good.
The other Invader, stalking in the forest, proved just as difficult to root out and terminate.

On the next turn, the Marines succeed in another Recon probe...

As well, HQ calls in reinforcements in the form of more HQ.

When it’s time to reveal the Invaders plan, Drop Pods are on the schedule.
“Look alive, boys.”
What happens next could only happen in a chaos filled game like Luttmann’s:
The single drop pod lands smack dab on the HQ reinforcement!

Too funny!

With the tragedy fueling their determination, the marines fought on as best they could muster!

The Invaders were not going to take this aggression lightly.
They deployed the Phase Shift Depolorizer. A nasty-sounding device to be sure,
Stunning all marines within four spaces of itself.

What followed next round revealed the chaotic nature of these alien adversaries.
The Warrior #3 entrenched in the Blasted Hills decided to bug out.
The Marines got wind of an option the Aliens had in mind: “Decapitate Command Control.”
Interesting...

Marines took some time to shake themselves out of their stunned status.

The Aliens, sensing this arising of their enemies, deployed more warriors via Drop Pods

The Marines continued their advance toward the eastern border, struggling to defeat the nitty nemesis while grasping at faulty reconnossaince.

They eventually scored a major hit against a buggy in the badlands.

But the bugs belittled the aggression with appropriate responses themselves!
No matter, the marines were determined to secure their victory, moving three requisite units off the map.

The bugs felt passive and allowed the marines to advance.
Perhaps there was an ulterior motive to the silence?
What were they planning for the next scenario?

Final thoughts:
With Dawn of the Zeds and In Magnificent Style staying forever in my game collection, there was no doubt this Hermann Luttmann game was going to be anything but entertaining and a welcomed addition on the solitaire game shelf section.

It was a chaotic session and I probably should have played a game or two without documenting with a camera.
I need to go back over the rules and see if I missed something about the yellow Alien objective chits.
Only one was pulled during this game.

During this game, I didn't utilize the action Scoot and Shoot.
I must be doing something incorrect?

I must have done something wrong to get away with such a strong victory?
There were low numbers rolled for the Drop Pods, so perhaps that swung things in my favor.

Great first installment in this series, Mr. Luttmann and Tiny Battle Publishing! I'm a fan and very eager to play Space Vermin and eventually get the next release, Killer Pillars.
My fingers are still crossed Luttmann's VPG Death or Glory series will see additional titles, too.

Here's to all of you and your games of Invaders.
May the skies be always clear for your marines, but don't hold out hope too much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great review. I hope you like "Space Vermin from Beyond!" as much. They are both great games, if I say so myself.

I do have to agree that after you play "Invaders" enough you do get a strange feeling there is something more directing the Invaders than random chit pulls as they seem to drop right where they do you the most damage a lot more frequently than seems possible if it was all just random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
You are disintegrating.Into everything around.Reintegrating.The worm we dug from higher ground.You have let go of ego.Ego is no longer you.Closer to nirvana.Since the porter's whistle blew. With Us!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred 100 wrote:
Thanks for the great review. I hope you like "Space Vermin from Beyond!" as much. They are both great games, if I say so myself.
Just this morning I gave the Vermin rulebook a quick glance.
I have to say the mechanic of the little mites abandoning 'ship' once a Vermin is destroyed is fantastic. I'm hoping to play your game today or this evening, Fred. Thanks for your reply and looking at my session.

Fred 100 wrote:
I do have to agree that after you play "Invaders" enough you do get a strange feeling there is something more directing the Invaders than random chit pulls as they seem to drop right where they do you the most damage a lot more frequently than seems possible if it was all just random.
Agreed. More plays will hopefully give me the full experience of the Monolith and what more Invaders on the board - via larger Drop Pod rolls - would be like! Imagine the insidious controlled chaos then!

Thanks again, Fred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is ..... WOW!!!!! What a wonderful AAR and graphic presentation. We have to get this up in other places, it's fantastic.
Well done, my friend ... you hit this out of the park!
Thanks so much.
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Thanks for the great reply. I think the "strange power" in Invaders is really the human mind underestimating what "rarely" or "random" means. We think "oh, it's only random, so it will never happen" and are then surprised when "random" means "Sorry, while we didn't know exactly what will happen, something will happen."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Hermann. It was a ton of fun to play, document and revisit the moments in the game. Entertaining game!

To both you and Fred: I'm really excited to see what directions the series will go. I didn't get a chance to play Vermin, but hopefully a window of opportunity will happen this week. I'll have my camera ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, the idea for the "little mites abandoning ship" in Space Vermin From Beyond! came from my love of the movie Cloverfield. If you remember that flick, there's a really cool scene where these spider/tick-like aliens attack the poor slobs in the subway tunnel. Those things were falling off the big monster and I thought that was so creepy that I had to add something like that in Vermin. It is indeed a very fun mechanic.

Thanks!

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so those are your mites. Luttmann lice!
That is indeed a creepy scene from the film. Have you seen the latest Cloverfield film? What did you think? I thought it was fantastic and I hope the series continues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, those varmints were one of my official developer contributions! Fred loved the idea too as soon as we discussed how it could work.

You're talking about 10 Cloverfield Lane - which I also thought was a great movie. I do hope the series continues. Cloverfield is probably my favorite monster movie, along with The Giant Behemoth.

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denver Walker
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Great, detailed review! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.