7 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about evidence cards after the first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oleg Kozak
msg tools
Hi all,

Me and my wife just finished our first game and I have few questions, mainly about item cards marked as "evidence". I've read all 5 pages of topics on this forum, it answered a lot of other questions, but few remained.

1) is there a real value to the evidence cards? I mean i found some incriminating evidence card, or the one who says that the investigation is coming to an end, but i simply do not understand what do i do with them and how do they help me.

2) Most of our evidence was left behind as we received the broken arm damage face up and we decided to drop all but 2 items. Do we need to drop evidence as an item or not (for example, when there is a horror effect like throw your hands in the air snd lose some of your items)? And if we do, is there a real consequences of doing so?

And few other questions:

3) Example: I have a damage card facedown, but i know that it doesn't do anything special and in the text it says to flip it face down. When i receive another card saying to flip a random damage card face up, should i flip this card faceup and then face down immediately (because this particular card says so) or should i keep it face up no matter what (thus limiting my bandage healing etc)?

4) nearly in the end I got an insane condition "selfish motives". Pretty soon after that my damage was so high that I became wounded and it was a losing criteria for my character. After that I immediately went to options > end game and that's it. Was my action correct? It felt so abrupt and stupid, like we just stopped playing without any explanation at all.

5) in the garden we wanted to disrupt the ritual and it said that you can use evidence to change "clue dice result" to success results. Could we used regular clue tokens to change these dice to successes as usual or is this a unique case where clue tokens are ineffective?

Thanks for answering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mckay
United Kingdom
Westerham
Kent
flag msg tools
Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
mbmb
Its dependent on the campaign you're playing. For example:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
in the first campaign, if you reach the portal before it opens, each evidence card grants extra dice / rerolls whilst trying to shut it off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also another effect in the game which deals with Evidence items and can appear in any story:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
One of the Insane conditions requires you to have two Evidence Items to win with the other Investigators.

Most of the effects will be story-dependent as Daniel points out, though. You can safely drop them if you want, but you may find out later on that you actually wanted to have some.

As for question 2). I believe the horror effect your refer to has you randomly drop Items. You have to include the Evidence Items in this random drop. Broken Arm does allow you to choose, though.

Other answers:

3) You follow the instructions, which include flipping it facedown again. When receiving and when flipping a card with "resolve immediately" text, you must follow the text.

4) Only your character cannot win the game! The rest of the players still can. Thus, you robbed everyone else of their potential victory. If you were playing solo, then this isn't a valid card to receive as Insanity, as it requires 2+ players (even though you play with 2 Investigators).

5) Yes, you can still use Clues (provided you aren't Dazed). Anything else you can do is always in addition to the norm, unless something says you cannot do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg Kozak
msg tools
Regarding 4 - but doesn't it say that the game is won or lost for all players altogether?

In rules references it says:

"Some Insane Conditions can change how an investigator wins or loses the game. Such an effect will clearly state how that investigator wins or loses the game. If the game ends due to a card effect, one of the investigators selects "End Game" from the in-game menu."

Update: okay, so I've had a look at all insane cards and found that some are clearly stating that if something happens the game ends. In this case, my card wasn't the game ender? I was able to continue the game and even finish the investigation? however it would be a -loss- for me? I find it very confusing and illogical Or I just stop playing after becoming wounded with this card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see where you have made your mistake, now.

Selfish Motives does not state it ends the game. Compare this to cards like One of the Thousand that specifically ends the game when it is completed. The final sentence you quoted is only referring to Insane cards like this latter example that specifically tell you that "the game ends".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg Kozak
msg tools
Yeah, I've added the "update" to the previous post. Would you kindly look at it and see if that's correct (I still keep playing even if wounded?)?
Many thanks for your answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravenua wrote:
Yeah, I've added the "update" to the previous post. Would you kindly look at it and see if that's correct (I still keep playing even if wounded?)?
Many thanks for your answers!

Yes, you still keep playing, but as you point out, in this particular case, there is no way for you to win. It is now up to you to decide whether you are benevolently insane and want to help the others win, indifferently insane and do nothing on your turns and see how they go without you, or selfishly insane and actively work against the players to attempt to make everyone else lose too (in which case, nobody did any better than you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.