Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fatula
United States
Santa Cruz Mts.
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now you can buy the Atlas rocket advancement for $10, and it comes with 3 outcomes on it.

If there were another Atlas advancement that came with 5 outcomes instead, but otherwise worked the same, how much would you pay for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll cost $20-$30 (2 Atlas, 2 card removals) to get it to the point where the standard Atlas advancement starts; that doesn't much appeal to me even as a freebie. Maybe I'm missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Testing to remove two cards to get the 5-card advancement to 3 cards would cost $10 to $30 million; so I don't see myself buying such at any price. However, if my use of the Atlas was for the return trip of a spacecraft so that there would plenty of time and resources for testing after launch, and the immediate cost savings allowed an earlier launch then I would pay whatever the difference allowed. Similarly, if I needed an Atlas now then again whatever the difference allowed. It is too circumstantial to put a price on. Sometimes the budget would allow $5 million or more, sometimes only $1 million if anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For rockets and stuff that has to work reliably I'd never do this, even for free. For Rendezvous, Slingshot (if I already have Re-Entry) and Survey I might think about doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Santa Cruz Mts.
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What about an advancement that lets you buy rockets at a lower price, but comes with more outcomes? For example, a cheap Soyuz rocket advancement that comes with (say) 6 outcomes but lets you buy Soyuz rockets for only $4 instead of $8. Would that be worth anything to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me personally, it would all come down to whether it is cheaper that way to make the rocket reliable, which is not the option you intend to offer here.

The problem is that any exploding rocket (Major Failure) destroys your whole space craft and there is nothing you can do about it. Until the advancement is safe to use, I will only have cheap payload like probes and Juno rockets, because else it can become expensive to the point where you fall back too much.

That said I have only played two multiplayer games and 4 or 5 solo games. For multi player, if you have to take the risk in order to win or you will buy a huge amount of these rockets over the course of the game, this might be a viable option.

All that said, I don't think it is an elegant expansion of the base game, as the benefits in gameplay variety seem to be rather small compared to the amount of new material and/or new rules you'd have to bring in. (all imho)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
What about an advancement that lets you buy rockets at a lower price, but comes with more outcomes? For example, a cheap Soyuz rocket advancement that comes with (say) 6 outcomes but lets you buy Soyuz rockets for only $4 instead of $8. Would that be worth anything to you?
I could see a cooperative aspect where a player buys the 6-card tech for the cheaper rockets then sells the cheap rockets to those have the three-card tech; perhaps in exchange for proven tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Only if I were planning large-scale rocket production and weren't in a hurry.

Testing a rocket fully costs between (cards × $5) (they're all Minor Failures, and I get to re-use the rocket) and (cards × (rocketcost + $10)) (they're all successes).

For a standard Soyuz that's $15-$54 for a full test. For a Budget Soyuz it's $30-$84, i.e. between $15 and $30 more expensive at the extremes. In return for that I save $4 per rocket. So I'm going to do it if I plan to build more than about five Soyuz, and I have time for the extended testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.