Subject: Supply and Placing all Cities/Towns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this has been tackled already in another thread, but after a cursory glance over the thread titles I did not find one that would suggest so (of course, I might have overlooked it).

Maybe the easier question first:
The rules state that you win the game ends if ALL of your cities or towns are on the board. So I guess that means you cannot win this way if the opponent has captured at least one of those, correct?

Now, regarding the Supply rules - I simply cannot wrap my head around how supply works, in total. Maybe because I am not a native speaker, but the whole thing leaves me a little confused. I'll post this simply as yes/no statements, which might be easier to answer...

1. Supply via land routes can go through any number of locations connected along Regular Roads, as long as these locations are neutral or friendly.
2. Supply via land routes CANNOT go along Rough Roads.
3. Supply via sea routes to coastal locations can go through any number of Sea Zones, as long as they are neutral or friendly
4. Supply via sea routes can connect to any isolated coastal location, no matter where it is situated, or if it is surrounded by enemy locations on land, IF it can be traced via neutral or friendly Sea Zones
5. Capitals always provide supply, even if they are unoccupied.
6. Supply can be traced through a land battle location, even if that location is fortified.
7. The Strait of Messana changes the supply distance via land routes, in that Rome can only supply Messana, Tyndaris and Catana, and Syracuse can only supply Rhegium, Temesa and Thurii.
8. Locations NOT in supply, when being the location of a battle, may never gain reinforcement (neither by land nor by sea).

Is that correct? Am I missing other, additional factors that can change this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not win if all your cities are on the board. but you do trigger the end of game. Regular final scoring then takes place and then a winner is determined. There are only two automatic win conditions; you either sack your opponants capital or get 25 points ahead at the end of the Campaign action.

Regarding supply:
1. Yes
2. No, this is imaterial.
3. Yes
4. Yes (I think I understand what you are saying, but could be wrong)
5. Not sure about this
6. Yes
7. Yes. By land you ocan only supply two locations past the straights form Rome.
8.Yes (There is one strategy card that can affect this however)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answer.
However, two things don't help me really...

For one, you are right, you cannot WIN if all cities/towns are on the board. I made a mistake in stating it this way (have corrected it, up above). However, this is not the question I was posing. Rather, is it literally ALL cities/towns, or is it all that are still IN GAME? So, to get back to my question - does a captured city and town prevent this?

The other thing - I do not understand what you mean:
"2. No, this is immaterial".
Rough roads are land connections, and it IS feasible to trace supply along these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
When all of your cities or towns are gone, the game ends. It does not matter if they are in the captured pile or not.

You may trace supply through a rough road.

The only way for a capitol to be an occupied unoccupied is through raid. Note that the rebellion random event says to ignore the capitols. Therefore, if your capitol is raided, it can no longer be a supply source because it is out of supply also.

Edit: D@mned voice recognition did not hear me say "UN"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I guess "occupied" and "unoccupied" is different in meaning than what I wanted to convey. Logically so, of course. If it has become "occupied" by the opponent, supply is immaterial, since the game will then end in immediate defeat for the player who lost his capital...

What I meant was: if there is no cube or disk on the Capital location...
...does it still provide supply, then? I'm guessing "no".

I am also guessing that everything else that JKidder has been saying is true, then...?

And thanks for clearing up the situation regarding cities/towns...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
When all of your cities or towns are gone, the game ends. It does not matter if they are in the captured pile or not.

The only way for a capitol to be an occupied is through raid.

I think Judd meant "unoccupied" there, but yes, since capturing it via battle triggers the automatic victory.

Quote:
Note that the rebellion random event says to ignore the capitols. Therefore, if your capitol is raided, it can no longer be a supply source because it is out of supply also.

This is actually incorrect. See the last sentence of 4.4:

Quote:
The Carthaginian player may still trace supply to Carthage or Lilybaeum, even if they are unoccupied. Likewise, the Roman player may still trace supply to Rome, even if it is unoccupied.

This is super rare in practice, and usually moot once you've reached that point anyway, which is why I'm guessing Judd may not have known that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to recap:

Dumon wrote:
1. Supply via land routes can go through any number of locations connected along Regular Roads, as long as these locations are neutral or friendly.
2. Supply via land routes CANNOT go along Rough Roads.
3. Supply via sea routes to coastal locations can go through any number of Sea Zones, as long as they are neutral or friendly
4. Supply via sea routes can connect to any isolated coastal location, no matter where it is situated, or if it is surrounded by enemy locations on land, IF it can be traced via neutral or friendly Sea Zones
5. Capitals always provide supply, even if they are unoccupied.
6. Supply can be traced through a land battle location, even if that location is fortified.
7. The Strait of Messana changes the supply distance via land routes, in that Rome can only supply Messana, Tyndaris and Catana, and Syracuse can only supply Rhegium, Temesa and Thurii.
8. Locations NOT in supply, when being the location of a battle, may never gain reinforcement (neither by land nor by sea).

1. Yes
2. No. Supply CAN be traced over rough roads.
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes

Dumon wrote:
The rules state that you win the game ends if ALL of your cities or towns are on the board. So I guess that means you cannot win this way if the opponent has captured at least one of those, correct?

Whenever the supply of a player's city disks / town cubes runs out (no matter, where if they are on the board or captured by the opponent), the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
Thanks again to everyone, here.
Now I cannot wait to tackle this game next week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
airjudden wrote:

The only way for a capitol to be an occupied is through raid.

I think Judd meant "unoccupied" there, but yes, since capturing it via battle triggers the automatic victory.

Yeah, using a phone & voice recognition and not having my reading glasses when I do this is a bad combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.