Subject: WHAT DO I NEED rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's that time of the year again when I can't resist to take a look on the games available.
The last thing I need is more games, but, it's an addiction that's hard to beat.

I don't own any ASL stuff, I've come to understand it's rather complicated and you need loads and loads of stuff, so I stuck with combat commander.

Recently I ran into a game, or rather an expansion called Blitzkrieg in the west.
It's all about Germans invading the Netherlands and this made me of course very interested.

So now I'm wondering what would I need to buy to be able to play these scenarioes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten van Houte
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you mean the scenario pack by Lone Canuck Publishing? If so, you actually need quite a lot; the ASL Rulebook (so no Starter Kit rules, but the full ASL rules), Beyond Valor (includes German OOB), Doomed Battalions (includes Allied Minor OOB (used to represent the Dutch OOB). Other than that, you need to check in which products the maps that are used were published. Here's a list:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/126366/asl-mapboard-publica...

To be able to play all scenarios, in other words, you'd have to spend hundreds of EUR. BV (3rd ed.) is in print (I think), DB (3rd ed.) is not; some of the maps can be bought separately, but not all, and the products they came in might not be available, or only against ridiculous prices.

The quickest and cheapest way into ASL is either beginning with the Starter Kits, or buying BV and the ASL Rulebook. I started with SK, moved on to full ASL, slowly collecting the various modules. It's a great gaming system, but also very costly (in both time and money).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it on the Franc Tireur website. Looks like there's lots of French troops as well - so Croix De Guerre also.

Unfortunately, this will be a very tough / expensive expansion to get into if you are starting from almost nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maarten and Peter are correct, BUT... If you just want to give ASL(SK) a try, all you need is ASLSK #1. Very cheap and usually easy to find. Be careful though, you get hooked very easily...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps, there is one of the 6 scenarios in SK1 set in Holland.
It's a pretty fun one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I allready feared it would turn into an epic purchase.

It's unfortunate how some games grow into such a beast over the years, that you only can enjoy it if you've jumped in from the start and kept up with developments.

Having said this, I do feel tempted to maybe someday give the starterset a go.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freddy, don't be discouraged. I jumped into ASL few years ago, thanks to the Starter Kits. Since then I was been able to play less than ten games, although I bought a loooot of stuff. I play SK regularly and I'm just waiting for the time me (and my pal) will be ready to deepen in full ASL.
Go for SK 1....you'll not regret a cent!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Ruben said. I actually jumped in way, way back with Squad Leader, grabbed all the expansions, then later jumped to ASL and grabbed a bunch. I still, sadly have some of those unplayed (NO! You buncha vultures can't have them! ). I dabbled for quite a while, then moved to other things.

I jumped back into dabbling recently with SK #1, and it really is all you need. It's a complete game as it is, and is plenty to keep you busy for a while. If you a sufficiently interested, then you can start down the rabbit hole with full ASL modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.