6 Posts

Citadels» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can players share their knowledge of other people's roles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antoine Reis
Russia
flag msg tools
Can players share their opinions and discuss the roles of other people during game?

For example, 5 players game:
King calls thief! Theif opens and chooses his target. I'm playing Magician and I'm almost sure, that player to the left took Merchant (cause i saw last to cards). Can i tell thief, that i knew that player to the left of me is Merchant to help him make decision whom to rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer N.
Singapore
flag msg tools
I am pretty sure it is allowed (at least in my games). Even if you are 100% certain, you might not be able to convince the thief or he may not believe you ultimately.

Imho, this makes the game even better as it adds a level of extra player interaction through negotiations and bluffing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you cheat by looking, then no. Then you should be kicked out of the game.

Otherwise, I don't see the issue, as you are merely guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Discussed here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/788591/can-you-discuss-who-...

and here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/809904/talk-when-player-sel...

General consensus is that is it against (at least the spirit of) the rules. One big problem is that the two players on either side of you could collude to determine exactly who you are.

The rulebook does put an emphasis on secretly choosing a character. I interpret this to mean all the information you gathered from selecting a character is secret.

I do see how this could add an interesting level to the game though. I have never played it this way however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect it's meant to be played without that sort of discussion, or without people forming ad hoc alliances, but the rules don't explicitly forbid it. Probably best to get your group to agree before you start.
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't specify, like the rules of The Resistance: Avalon don't specify whether private communication is allowed. In both cases the omission could be because no one thought of someone doing that or because they wanted to leave it up to the players. It's certainly something you want to agree before you do it though as people will have strong opinions as whether it's fair & makes the game better.

OlympicCough wrote:
One big problem is that the two players on either side of you could collude to determine exactly who you are.

Indeed. In a 5p game the 3rd player could tell the last player what 3 cards he handed to the 4th player. The 5th player would know for certain what the 4th player picked. Well assuming that the 3rd player gave accurate information. Of course by doing so the 2nd player would know what the 3rd player picked (assuming she could remember what 4 cards she handed him - I'm not sure I always would).

I don't see that it adds much to the game and has the potential to slow the game down. If want that kind of thing then something like The Resistance, Avalon is better for that.

The other thing is whether you are allowed to share knowledge about someone's hand gained from using the Magician or Wizard against them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.