32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » General

Subject: Concerns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarge Tate
msg tools
Not being a backer (didn't hear about the game until last week), I don't have access to much information on the KS page. The game looks right up the wife and I's alley though. We're both Turtle fans from way back and I've recently started reading the IDW series. 11 years ago we bonded over some Heroquest and we've been looking for a good campaign game ever since (her tolerance for complicated rules is low so our options are limited) and I think this may be it.

I just have two concerns: Time and Money.

Time - How long would it take us to run through all of the content? I notice that there are 12 maps in the box so does that mean there are only 12 scenarios? Or do multiple scenarios use the same map? Essentially, assuming that we play once a week on our game night, will we box this up in 12 weeks and never touch it again?

Money - Assuming expansions come with newnscenarios, which helps offset my first concern, do we have any indication of how expensive they are? We had been looking into "Shadows over Brimstone" until we read multiple reviews (even positive ones) saying that uou really needed both $80 basesets and an expansion or two. We're far from poor, but we also didn't get that way by careless spending.

So, my question goes out to all of you who have insider information. Do I have anything to be concerned about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We won't know for sure until we get it how long games will. However the game out of the box is 1 vs everyone else. So one of you would play as the Foot and the other as the 4 turtles. A future expansion is supposed to have some sort of co-op with a villain A.I. deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love me some HeroQuest.

One thing about this one is that, if you really love it, you can start making custom scenarios to play out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge Tate
msg tools
Yeah I watched the TTS playthrough so I understand the gameplay. I just hoped with all of the talk I've seen on here about Print n' Play that some of you had seen the scenario book and could tell me if there were only 12 adventures or more. And I didn't know if any of the backers-only updates contained expansion pricing info or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been awhile, but I think they said that each campaign was from 3 to 5 missions, so there are probably more than just 12. Also, it sounds like the retail April will come with scenarios, so Casey and Splinter probably will as well. Those should be fairly cheap expansions between the bigger ones.

They also published some scenarios in the Bebop & Rocksteady comics recently.

But no, we don't have any insider info on pricing or scenarios. IDW is pretty tight-lipped about everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
But no, we don't have any insider info on pricing or scenarios. IDW is pretty tight-lipped about everything.

I'd say they've been VERY tight-lipped, and to their detriment if they aren't careful. Their comics are fantastic, they seem to understand exactly what they are doing with TMNT on that front. I've actually been one of those critics who has so far been impressed with the miniatures, as well. But as a non-backer looking for information on this game I can find exactly two new photos and zero game information from the last few months.

Considering IDW are talking about an October release for this game, and how much they've been touting this as their flagship game (not to mention the link to their excellent comic series), you'd expect them to be drumming up some serious interest in this game right now. I mean, this is TMNT, one of the most successful and popular franchises for us nerds in our history! This game is a big deal for a lot of us!

Being tight-lipped raises people's suspicions and concerns, and in a market as cynical and competitive as board games, I don't think that's a great move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be the first to agree that someone at either Viacom or IDW needs to be fired for the way this game has been handled. I'm excited for the game, but very turned off by the company. But honestly, I think it's just a case that someone there had no clue how Kickstarters are expected to work. Someone over there still thinks they're doing an amazing job (and needs fired for it).

The ones that still amaze me are the ones who were in the campaign and seem to expect better communication now than we had during the campaign. That was never going to happen. I backed fully expecting it to be this bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lanham
Australia
flag msg tools
I wouldn't get too stressed about the final product, the rules are being done by Kevin Wilson, got a pretty good track record for decent systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 16 scenarios in the retail version, forming 4 'comics', which are a string of scenarios that tell a single story. It should be months of content if you play it once a week, even without replaying or homebrewing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Regarding your concerns about enough playability. The first thing to consider is that several expansions will be available with different heroes, so you can mix them in to add replayability right there. Also, if you are one who likes to develop custom scenarios, there is TONS here to work with in that regard. If you don't enjoy making those yourself, you can bet this forum will be full of ones made by other players as time goes on.

Also, IDW has stated that they do have several gameplay expansions planned for years to come.

I for one am not the least bit concerned about getting my money's worth from this in terms of gameplay. In fact, gameplay was my only consideration when pledging on KS, and I waited to do so until I was sure the game would see lots of time on the living room table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Murthwaite
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I just want to know the total number of scenarios with the Works. I know we have a few KS exclusives, the two B&R scenarios and it was mentioned that April's scenarios will be included, but will there also be more for Splinter and Casey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Anzati wrote:
it was mentioned that April's scenarios will be included

I hadn't heard that, but good to know if true. (And there's no justification for it not being true...)

Quote:
but will there also be more for Splinter and Casey?

I believe there is a scenario with Splinter and the MOUSERS. I don't know of a specific Casey scenario, but may be like April and one is included in his pack. There's also the Kevin Eastman studio campaign and the Rooftop Rush scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge Tate
msg tools
Well I guess if the game's designer says there will be 16 scenarios, it would be silly of me to doubt it.

Now my biggest concern is where do I get a time machine so I can go back and tell myself about this game before the KS campaign ended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Expalphalog wrote:
Now my biggest concern is where do I get a time machine so I can go back and tell myself about this game before the KS campaign ended?

I know how you feel. There are plenty of KS campaigns I've missed. I only caught this one because I saw an ad right here on BGG a day or so after it started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Expalphalog wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much, I was there for the whole campaign and didn't back it. The Kickstarter exclusives are a nice treat for those who wanted them, but the retail set will have enough turtle goodness for everyone. Most of the Kickstarter exclusives are more like early access, we'll all be getting Bebop and Rocksteady, the other heroes and new campaigns soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
Expalphalog wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much, I was there for the whole campaign and didn't back it. The Kickstarter exclusives are a nice treat for those who wanted them, but the retail set will have enough turtle goodness for everyone. Most of the Kickstarter exclusives are more like early access, we'll all be getting Bebop and Rocksteady, the other heroes and new campaigns soon enough.

I have my late pledge set up....havent went through and clicked "Purchase" yet, though. Maybe next payday...maybe Ill just wait for retail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
DavidSL wrote:
Most of the Kickstarter exclusives are more like early access, we'll all be getting Bebop and Rocksteady, the other heroes and new campaigns soon enough.

Yes, and no. There was content that enhances gameplay that was said to be entirely KS-exclusive, especially in The Works: R&B (both mutated and unmutated) as enhanced minions, Super Shredder, Rooftop Rush, and I believe the MOUSERS scenario (and even the MOUSERS themselves?). If it hadn't been for that I would not have gone for The Works.

But you are absolutely correct that there will be tons of gameplay available at retail. This isn't a repeat of the Ghostbusters game, where almost all the cool stuff will never see retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
DavidSL wrote:
Most of the Kickstarter exclusives are more like early access, we'll all be getting Bebop and Rocksteady, the other heroes and new campaigns soon enough.

Yes, and no. There was content that enhances gameplay that was said to be entirely KS-exclusive, especially in The Works: R&B (both mutated and unmutated) as enhanced minions, Super Shredder, Rooftop Rush, and I believe the MOUSERS scenario (and even the MOUSERS themselves?). If it hadn't been for that I would not have gone for The Works.

But you are absolutely correct that there will be tons of gameplay available at retail. This isn't a repeat of the Ghostbusters game, where almost all the cool stuff will never see retail.

Ahh...someones trying to get me to hit Purchase on this late pledge...hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
DavidSL wrote:

I don't think there was any game play altering content at any level. Just chrome and early access to things. I thought anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
I don't think there was any game play altering content at any level. Just chrome and early access to things. I thought anyways.

I think some of the scenarios and ally cards were specific to the campaign.

The Bebop, Rocksteady, and Super Shredder situation is really unclear. I wouldn't expect to see human BB&RS or Super Shredder at retail, but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
corkysru wrote:

I'm not saying there's anything that alters gameplay, though enhanced minions could fall into that category. But to me a half-dozen exclusive scenarios and about as many exclusive characters (R&B enhanced minions will not be released retail AFAIK), while not necessary to gameplay, greatly increases replayability and as such is hardly "chrome". To each his own, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
corkysru wrote:

I'm not saying there's anything that alters gameplay, though enhanced minions could fall into that category. But to me a half-dozen exclusive scenarios and about as many exclusive characters (R&B enhanced minions will not be released retail AFAIK), while not necessary to gameplay, greatly increases replayability and as such is hardly "chrome". To each his own, I suppose.

I thought I had read in the comments that all content is supposed to be available at a later date in some form (with the possible exceptions of alternate sculpts and other chrome-y bits). But I thought all scenarios and alternate stat cards would be available later. I know the difference between chrome and a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't think anyone (including IDW) has any idea how they are going to handle things from here on out. Supposedly, retail expansions are going to follow the comics, so any of the mirage and 4th-wall-breaking stuff probably won't be seen again.

Super Shredder and human BB&RS were made by popular demand of the backers and don't really fit into the comics either. Maybe as small villain packs?

But honestly, with the real hardcore turtle fans already having a lot of this stuff from the Kickstarter, they may need to re-evaluate if it is actually cost-effective to create brand new sculpts for the less hardcore. Will the less hardcore even want them? Will enough of them want them to make it worth the cost?

I'm glad I've got the Works. Hopefully, I'll stay that way. Hopefully, everyone that doesn't will be able to get the bits that they want. Hopefully. But you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
corkysru wrote:

I thought I had read in the comments that all content is supposed to be available at a later date in some form (with the possible exceptions of alternate sculpts and other chrome-y bits). But I thought all scenarios and alternate stat cards would be available later. I know the difference between chrome and a scenario.

You never know around here.

Anyway, I'm sure the "Save the Studio" campaign is KS-exclusive. "Rooftop Rush" is said to be, as well (which makes sense, being based on the Mirage comics and involving the Fugitoid ally, which is also said to be KS-exclusive). The MOUSERS scenario is a bit less clear, but since it is based on both Splinter and the MOUSERS (which I doubt would be sold together), I went with the assumption it was. And the R&B scenario, while not technically exclusive since IDW distributed it publicly, will not be playable as intended except by KS backers with the R&B enhanced minions.

Speaking of, I'm too lazy to look it up, but it's entirely possible that the idea of "enhanced minions" was not actually developed until after the KS ended. I think that was late March or so that they came up with that. Before then we knew R&B would be playable in some way but not how.

Almost everything else, I believe, will be available at retail in some form. So all that is to say that there was some definite added gameplay in the KS, but not enough to fret over if you missed it (again, unlike Ghostbusters, which made everything beyond basic game components to be KS-exclusive).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What are the 'enhanced minions'?

To be honest I didn't back because I didn't really like the KS exclusives. The studio tile doesn't interest me at all, being a weird out of character inclusion that I can't see ever wanting to use, and whilst I'm a huge supporter of Kevin Eastman's work the turtle models based on his art just don't fit the rest of the miniatures for me, so again, wouldn't see use. Super Shredder and human Bebop and Rocksteady are, for me, entirely redundant choices.

The mousers, Bebop and Rocksteady and all main characters will definitely see retail. There is just no way they would keep these things exclusive. They are all an essential part of the TMNT comics that this game is based on.

So yeah, I don't think there are any exclusives other than alternate sculpts (alternate to what would be nice to know) and a couple of tiles and one scenario. Ok, and some miniatures that are exclusive to that one scenario.

I honestly understand why people have backed at the works level, because I have been thinking about it myself, but I don't think there is that much exclusive stuff aside from the satisfaction of having things early and the exclusive comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.