9 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Recommend mě a game pls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hi Im new Im considering Antike II, Julius Caesar, Command And colours anthics And SPQR deluxe editio, I want to ask which oné would u recommend me or if even some different war game while Im mainly want to start collecting And playing since ancient times And its aswell my favorite historical period, thanx for any suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C Ancients would be a good starting place. It's easy to learn, fairly quick to play, and has a lot of expandability. You can move up to any of the others you named once you're comfortable with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking over your game collection I would say to start with C&C Ancients (recommended above) or Julius Caesar. Both are excellent games. Which one depends on your interest & inclination. Ancients covers an individual battle but sacrifices 'realism' (but it's a lot of fun). Caesar covers an entire war -- the one between Julius Caesar and Pompey -- with a relatively simple set of rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPQR is by far the most complicated of the games you're asking about. If you're looking to ease your way into wargaming, I would start with C&C: A and then move to SPQR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaro Andruszkiewicz
England
St Albans
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage - 10th best wargame ever published.

Germania Magna: Border in Flames - now on Kickstarter - a mean 2-4 player card wargame.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phalanxgames/germania-m...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't write off AntikeII though. It's a map based euro that rewards aggressive play and has the feel of a light wargame.

Of the other wargames mentioned, stay away from SPQR or any of the games in the Great Battles of History. Too complex to start off with, especially if you don't know if you'll like wargames.

Either Julius Caesar or C&C: Ancients are good introductory level wargames, depending on your interests. If you want a strategic game that covers an entire war, go with Julius Caesar. C&C: Ancients is a tactical scale game, a much more abstract version of SPQR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike II no
Julius Caesar no
Command And colours anthics yes but play on Vassal, internationally
SPQR deluxe no

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage -- Avalon Hill 1st edition is best.

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony 2-player, or Quartermaster General – Victory or Death: The Peloponnesian War when its available retail [this month?], 4-player.

Successors (third edition)

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@@.1dd6d36f/235!enclosur...

War of the Ring (second edition)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
C&C: Ancients is a tactical scale game, a much more abstract version of SPQR.

It follows the accepted academic tactical synthesis closely, which is a big reason for its success:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Martin.

I would suggest C&C Ancients as well, as a very good starting point. As a matter of fact, if you would like to try it in a VASSAL game, let me know.

Best regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.