$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
35.1% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Io Montecillo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hi there, could someone tell me the diameter of the planetary system discs?

I am trying to have a 3D printer on Etsy create custom Star Base miniatures similar to the exclusive resin pieces. He would like to know the arc angle of the resins' bases. I figure giving him the circumference of the planetary discs could help approximate the arc of the curve. But I need the disc diameter to calculate that.

Can anyone with a copy help? The printer is hoping to create a set of 9 bases (3 for each base faction) for $15-$25 per set. I'll share the link to the shop once this is complete.

Also, from a previous thread, I found dimensions for the resins to be approximately 4cm tall and 3cm at the base. Is this accurate? Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mistersalmonpants wrote:
Hi there, could someone tell me the diameter of the planetary system discs?

I am trying to have a 3D printer on Etsy create custom Star Base miniatures similar to the exclusive resin pieces. He would like to know the arc angle of the resins' bases. I figure giving him the circumference of the planetary discs could help approximate the arc of the curve. But I need the disc diameter to calculate that.

Can anyone with a copy help? The printer is hoping to create a set of 9 bases (3 for each base faction) for $15-$25 per set. I'll share the link to the shop once this is complete.

Also, from a previous thread, I found dimensions for the resins to be approximately 4cm tall and 3cm at the base. Is this accurate? Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!

The system discs are 3.5 inches in diameter. I am the one who posted the size of the starbases and confirm those measurements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Io Montecillo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks so much! I appreciate it.

You probably don't need third-party custom star bases since you provided the original dimensions, but I'll post the Etsy shop link once the custom 3D print is complete. Feel free to share the option with others if you wish. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you for the disc diameter and the token dimensions!

I'm the Etsy 3D printer that Io was referring to. I just finished up with the prototyping of the tokens and added them to my shop. I hope some people find them worthwhile. I hope they work well as tokens.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/480679077/star-trek-ascendancy-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the expansions come out we'll need two more sets....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
El Supremo wrote:

We'll see. Not sure if my current ones will be popular or not yet. Plus, I wonder if the Ferengi will have similar mechanics as the core races or something more unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derikku wrote:
El Supremo wrote:

We'll see. Not sure if my current ones will be popular or not yet. Plus, I wonder if the Ferengi will have similar mechanics as the core races or something more unique.

from everything previewed so far they are fairly similar with the exception that they can buy culture with production, they cant build culture nodes but they can build production nodes on any slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Klaxas wrote:
Derikku wrote:
El Supremo wrote:

from everything previewed so far they are fairly similar with the exception that they can buy culture with production, they cant build culture nodes but they can build production nodes on any slot.

They will have everything the base sets have plus 1-2 new rules.

They are going to come with trading partners, many of which look like they get moved between players during the game.
And I'm hoping that they will have rules for resource trading between the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
Derikku wrote:
El Supremo wrote:

They are going to come with trading partners, many of which look like they get moved between players during the game.
And I'm hoping that they will have rules for resource trading between the players.

That would be neat but they still play similarly like they still have starbases for example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Klaxas wrote:
John1701 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
Derikku wrote:
El Supremo wrote:

That would be neat but they still play similarly like they still have starbases for example

Yeah, that's what I said. They will have everything the base sets will have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
John1701 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
John1701 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
Derikku wrote:
El Supremo wrote:

Well in that case I'll have to design starbases for them then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Derikku wrote:
John1701 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
John1701 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
Derikku wrote:
El Supremo wrote:

Well in that case I'll have to design starbases for them then.

We have only seen a Ferengi space station once in the canceled game Star Trek Infinite Space. I'm hoping that they will have official ones for every species...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
Unless they release promo stations, I'll have to base it on existing cannon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Derikku wrote:

There is no existing canon for Ferengi space stations, lol. The picture I posted above is the closest thing. It was an official game that never got made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
John1701 wrote:
Derikku wrote:

There is no existing canon for Ferengi space stations, lol. The picture I posted above is the closest thing. It was an official game that never got made.

=(. Well then I'll probably take a vote later on what the community would like as the reference photos I should use for the two new stations. In the meantime, anyone here have thoughts on the current ones I've made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derikku wrote:
John1701 wrote:
Derikku wrote:

=(. Well then I'll probably take a vote later on what the community would like as the reference photos I should use for the two new stations. In the meantime, anyone here have thoughts on the current ones I've made?

i think they look pretty good. do you expect they would paint well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
Klaxas wrote:
Derikku wrote:
John1701 wrote:
Derikku wrote:

It depends. They're not going to be like injection molded miniatures that people are used to. These models I find are rougher in finish than others I have made because I was trying to follow the originals as closely as I could and the details didn't always lead to ideal 3D print quality, which at best makes post processing hard.

Basically, they'll require both wet sanding and sandable primer for those that want it smooth for maximum detail and unlike other designs I've done, they may be a little on the fragile end for it. But if someone wanted to just coat and paint them to closer match the original faction colors with a few highlights, that should be fine for that. The main issue when painting is to be aware that 3D printed models have horizontal layers that make inking and drybrushing hard and so you have to be extra conscious about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derikku wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
Derikku wrote:
John1701 wrote:
Derikku wrote:

It depends. They're not going to be like injection molded miniatures that people are used to. These models I find are rougher in finish than others I have made because I was trying to follow the originals as closely as I could and the details didn't always lead to ideal 3D print quality, which at best makes post processing hard.

Basically, they'll require both wet sanding and sandable primer for those that want it smooth for maximum detail and unlike other designs I've done, they may be a little on the fragile end for it. But if someone wanted to just coat and paint them to closer match the original faction colors with a few highlights, that should be fine for that. The main issue when painting is to be aware that 3D printed models have horizontal layers that make inking and drybrushing hard and so you have to be extra conscious about it.

cool. i will most likely pick them up when i get some extra cash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
Klaxas wrote:

cool. i will most likely pick them up when i get some extra cash

Awesome =). I hope you'll enjoy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.