Subject: Half-negative review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry for English of non-english-speaker.

I love Legends of Andor very much and of course I want more variations: more heroes, more game modes and more players! This expansion gives all of this:

d10-1 4 new heroes
d10-2 3 new game features
d10-3 rules for 5-6 players

What could possibly go wrong?!

New heroes

Arbon/Talvora, a renegade keeper of the black archives
Bad hero. Super weak. Worst dicepool ever: 3 dice, everytime rolls dice one-by-one and chose when to stop. Nobody will want to use his special ability to decrease the strength of creature because reward is also decreases. Can attack from adjacent field.

Bragor/Rhega, a Tarus from Sturmtal
Average hero. Special ability to build-up strength from wells is interesting, but rather boring in action. Can attack from adjacent field, but dicepool is pretty small.

Fenn/Fennah, tracker from the Southern Wood
Cool hero. Not superbly powerful, but 3 special abilities of this hero is very interesting and helpful.

Kheelan/Kheela, warden of the Riverlands
Average hero. Water Spirit can be moved only by this hero and gives the special powerful die for any hero. Pretty weak ability but if you will use water spirit right - can be useful. Looks interesting but rather boring in action.

Game features

Drunken Troll
Drunken Troll randomly appears on the game board sometimes causing random "jumps" of other creatures. Sounds cool, due to random nature happens really rare. Not really good feature.

Brother Shield
Allows you twice exchange strength points with other player. Strength is not a big problem in Andor, so almost useless feature.

Black Heralds
Special standees who gives additional strength to bosses. Good way to increase the difficulty little bit. But you don't want to put another standee on the board... Average.

Rules for 5-6 players

Oh my god! It's so bad! 4 generic time tokens for all players is awful! It's thematically unrelevant because one hero can take up to 30 hours per day! 30!

Also it tears the connection between player and character.

It increase the alpa-male syndrome that is already strong enough in this game. Some players can take a lot of time from other players, and it's very frustrating for them.

But you can invent your own rules for 5-6 players. You can put new sunrise token on the 1st hour of day - now you have 6 hours instead of 7. Plus some tweaks here and there.

New stats of creatures for 5-6 players is cool.

Overall - average.

Final thoughts
Only half of the content in this expansion is solid. Other stuff is awful to average.

But you have more different pieces for your own creativity! Thats always good!

Rating: 5 golden shields in the castle out of 10.
In my rating system 5/10 is not bad. It's in the middle.

Pictures from http://legenden-von-andor.de/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
I beg to differ

Bragor as distance or clos combat hero is really nice. He can ramp up strength early and fast if the well lie right for the legend.

Arbon is also an early blast. He can fight alone from the beginning and as he does not need to share the booty that way works ok. He can also be a real lifesaver when you need to take out a real obnoxious castle besieger.

Kheela is made for the North as the waterspirit may move unhindered over water. Yes she is mostly supportive, but that is not bad for some type of gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
I beg to differ

Bragor as distance or clos combat hero is really nice. He can ramp up strength early and fast if the well lie right for the legend.

Arbon is also an early blast. He can fight alone from the beginning and as he does not need to share the booty that way works ok. He can also be a real lifesaver when you need to take out a real obnoxious castle besieger.

Kheela is made for the North as the waterspirit may move unhindered over water. Yes she is mostly supportive, but that is not bad for some type of gamers.

Bragor not bad, I admit it. but not really cool either.
Anybody can defend castle alone instead of Arbon. His dicepool is worst, so to fight alone his special ability not really deal-breaker. If you will give some gold for other hero - he can protect the castle also very well.

I find Kheela less useful in the north because water spirit becomes super-slow. and you need to move it throughout 3 islands! In base game Kheela good if you master to use it, in the North this hero almost useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that Arbon can fight on his own is actually quite nice IMO. Him taking down a big one means one other hero is free to do a more important job. Arbon in the Castle is very nice, especially with poison. In some legends, his starting position is a very nice aspect to consider as well.

Bragor roaming the West, from well to well, is a very efficient way to defend the Castle. Just don't make him share the water with some warrior.

Parking the water spirit in the Castle is an easy way to find out its benefits. Move the spirit? Why?

The Brother Shield is very powerful. Money to the Dwarf, pump up to the max, exchange with hero X, repeat. Basically, the Dwarf is no longer the only one you can easily pump up. I love being a dwarf brother and spend the cash in the tavern on witches brew.

I agree the 5/6 player mode feels less thematic. You get to play Andor with 5 or 6 players however. Nuff said.

If you want a meaner game, and don't want to use the standees for extra boss power, use the Drunken Troll instead. He, and he alone, is the most dangerous way to increase difficulty. Sometimes almost gamebreaking as he pushes attackers into the castle.

Black heralds and new stats are not meant to be cool, IMO. They are a nescessary counterweight to balance out the introduction of one or two extra hero's in a 5/6 player game.

The expansion just adds A LOT to be explored. Some effects are hard to figure out without playing, but sometimes you just realize some power move that wouldn't be possible without the extra's.

But hey, opinions will differ 'till the end.

Keep gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
UPD: I change the word "Mediocre" to "Average". I just picked the wrong word. Sorry!

Mad Math wrote:
Arbon ... is very nice, especially with poison.

It's the only one benefit I agree with But it's rare case.

Mad Math wrote:
Bragor roaming the West, from well to well, is a very efficient way to defend the Castle. Just don't make him share the water with some warrior.

Bragor is solid, just after some plays running between wells became little bit annoying/boring.

Mad Math wrote:
Move the spirit? Why?

You need to move it in the North. But in the castle it's useful as I wrote

Mad Math wrote:
The Brother Shield is very powerful. Money to the Dwarf, pump up to the max, exchange with hero X, repeat. Basically, the Dwarf is no longer the only one you can easily pump up.

With (or even without) the Dwarf bosses is really easy enough. So this feature just for more variations. Not really useful.

Mad Math wrote:
I love ... spend the cash in the tavern

Trying to drink out that drunken troll

Mad Math wrote:
I agree the 5/6 player mode feels less thematic. You get to play Andor with 5 or 6 players however. Nuff said.

Nuff said indeed

I don't think this expansion is bad. It's 5/10 - it's normal, but not awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.