Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes S
Germany
Ansbach
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we are close to the end of the group stage, I'd like to know what you think we should change for the 2nd season.

I am especially interested in knowing whether you think the "friendly" approach towards players not meeting the required pace worked out or whether the rules should be stricter.

What about matchdays? Was ~two weeks well-suited for two games?

I thought about making 4 groups again for the 2nd season and seeding the Playoff players like that:
Group A Title holder - worst (=win ratio) participant of quarterfinals
B 4th - best particpant of quarterfinals
C 3rd - 2nd best QF
D 2nd - 3rd Best QF

As well I was thinking about seeding the 3rd player of every group randomly one to every group (to award them a bit).
Then adding all others (new and old players) randomly into the groups.

What do you think? Give me your opinion and help to improve the league. Of course, new players can answer, too.

P.S. I am thinking of starting season 2 on Jan 1st
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was well organised as it is
2 weeks matchdays was good for me, except during August (because of holidays, ti was a bit too short, but the friendly approach made it work), but this shouldn't be a problem right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All worked well for me too. Thanks for organizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Kristiansen
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the match day concept forces the season to be longer than necessary. Some matches finish in a day or two, and by the time of the next match I almost forget about the whole season.

We could compress the schedule to a week per game. Quick games would then happen on average once a week. Slow matches could happen two and two in parallel. If more slack is desired we could round up to two months for the full season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes S
Germany
Ansbach
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magnusrk wrote:
I feel like the match day concept forces the season to be longer than necessary. Some matches finish in a day or two, and by the time of the next match I almost forget about the whole season.

We could compress the schedule to a week per game. Quick games would then happen on average once a week. Slow matches could happen two and two in parallel. If more slack is desired we could round up to two months for the full season.

Interesting point of view. I always thought the concept could people force to play too fast, never thought it hindered people playing as fast as they liked. Have you tried asking your opponents to play games in advance? I and most people who play fast are or were a decent number of games ahead.

Generally I thought having 2 seasons a year + some break was enough. But maybe it is not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Telle
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the organization.

I did not quite understand the seeding.
Probably you meant:
Group A: title holder + worst participant in QF
B: 2nd + 7th best QF participant
C: 3rd + 6th best QF participant
D: 4th + 5th best QF participant

2 weeks per matchup was ok.

Tie-breaker rules should be decided upon before season 2 - just so that everybody knows what's coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes S
Germany
Ansbach
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-toni- wrote:
Thanks for the organization.

I did not quite understand the seeding.
Probably you meant:
Group A: title holder + worst participant in QF
B: 2nd + 7th best QF participant
C: 3rd + 6th best QF participant
D: 4th + 5th best QF participant

2 weeks per matchup was ok.

Tie-breaker rules should be decided upon before season 2 - just so that everybody knows what's coming.

Yes, I meant exactly what you wrote. My original wording was unclear, I was talking about players being eliminated in the QF and therefore not reaching any further stages --> being participant of the QF (only).

Agreed on tie-breaker rules. Keep them as they are or change/improve anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
For me, one match-day (2 matches) in 2 weeks seems fine. 2 matches in 1 week would be a bit too crowded. (Finding 1 evening/day for a live game per week is possible. However, esp. when in different time zones like Germany and USA, finding 2 evenings per week is extremely hard.)

The problem, however, are the offline games. When both players make only 1 move per day, a match will take much longer than 2 weeks. (Per average, a decade has 8 to 9 actions per side, plus let's say 3 to 4 clicks per side in the end of decade phase. This is 11 to 13 visits per player and decade, or 44 to 52 visits per player and match, which comes down to ca. 7 weeks!!

So, I would think it should be enforced, that:
* matches which can be played only offline have to start in the first week of the season; and
* offline players have to visit the match at least twice a day, so that both sides make 2 actions per day.

Another thing is a possible vacation. Things like this should be communicated to the opponent.

The tie-breaker rules must be clear at the start of the season, of course.

I think, each group should have one player as "head" that means: He collects the results, and reminds players when they are too slow. Some kind of organizing committee.

Maybe it is better to make smaller groups, but have 8 groups, so that 16 players enter the playoffs?

I believe, I wanted to write one more thing, but have it forgotten by now.

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Telle
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tie-Breaker-Rules: I am fine with as they have been worked out. You can look how they have to be applied after the group games and during the playoffs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubaldo Bastardo
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer to group non-live players together and live players together, as much as possible. I love the game, but 1.5-2 moves/day is a bit of a drag particularly during the end of decade sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tebo
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking forward to season 2!

In season 1 I never really paid attention to the week schedules and had 6 or so games by mail going at once in the middle of the season. I think I played 4 live games and 10 x moves per day. I like playing live better, though it is more difficult to find the time to schedule those. But I always had an eye on the final deadline, and I have already finished all of my matches. It might be a good idea to separate the season into halves, so that we have to play against 4 players by a certain date (after 2 months) and then the others in the group by the end of the regular season. Then we could have a half-season report and standings.

I'm really happy with any structure, but thought I'd just share these reflections.

Thanks so much for a fun experience!
Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Telle
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the group games of season 1 draw to a close: In group B it seemed that everyone was playing quickly. (Except for later added Lucious who then disappointingly dissapeared.)

Hopefully all players now have a feeling how fast they can play. Some in other groups seem to be way too slow. If season 2 has the same pace as season 1, these players should not be included, I think (if they apply). But to identify these players would be up to the participants of the other groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Croonenborghs
msg tools
I'm fine with either schedule but I would suggest that everyone is clear from the start what their usual pace of play will be, especially people that played in Season1 should have a clear idea about this. For slower players, I would suggest that they start all or at least most of their games asap.
In general, I think it just comes down to scheduling all the games from the beginning. I also like the suggestion of the half-season deadline. I would consider this and the end of the season deadline as hard deadlines and these are important to keep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes S
Germany
Ansbach
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like most people are fine with how it was.

I like the idea that those who don't want to play live should start all games at the beginning of the season.
I think seperating live players and pbem players into to groups hurts the idea of random groups, that's why I don't support that idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.