Subject: Combat value zero? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Richardson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Can an individual unit combat value ever be adjusted below 1?
I'm basically asking about Unreliable Cavalry that suffer an adverse "Wavers" roll. (Seems from the AARs posted that is the case. But not sure... Zero combat value would be a unique case.)
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a unit's combat strength can be adjusted down to zero. This shouldn't present a problem with a differential (rather than odds-based) CRT. The confusing bit comes when you need to determine whether you apply the -1 for "wavering" before or after you double the cavalry unit's strength if it's counter-charging (if it's before, then the effective counter-charge strength would be zero; if it's after, then the effective counter-charge strength would be one). In this case, if you check the rule on the "Unreliable" trait, you'll see the roll is made in Step D of the Battle Sequence (after the doubling would have been applied), so the effective counter-charge strength could be one.

Hope that clears things up.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richardson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the quick response, Lance. Got it.
Yeah, almost forgot about the doubling for countercharge effect as well. So far, I think I only had Cav vs. Cav applicable battles, though. (Then too, there are 1 point Unreliable infantry units also.)
Love these new Nap 20 with thick counters, etc. For those of you thinking you're good with just owning Fading Glory--think again.
Waterloo a good challenge for the French player. Finally got a definitive French victory after 7 or 8 plays.
I'm enjoying Tolentino right now. I like the variable reinforcement cards and other effects. Should be a lot of replay value there.
I'm down to the Tolentino sudden death turn track section. Looks like the Neapolitans will manage to hold the Austrians to only a minor victory despite taking a massive beating (unless they Really get lucky and reverse that 1 morale point down standing.)
Now...when are we gonna see that new Austerlitz 20 twin-battle pack game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bowie wrote:
...when are we gonna see that new Austerlitz 20 twin-battle pack game?

I turned in the completed development/test files to VPG last week. Now they need to free up artist/editor time to put everything together. I'll probably get slapped by Alan for saying this, but I'm hoping they'll have it out before Christmas (but I ain't holdin' my breath).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Alan can slap me too because so do I before X-Mas

Well I better go hide now whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.