Subject: Kingsman fight - King's Aura timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in the middle of my 4th campaign and the next fight is the first one with the Kingsman.

While preparing its deck I finally "read" blushwith full attention the King's Aura Trait card...
It instructs to place the 3 Battle pressure cards at the start of the monster turn (or when the hit location deck is shuffled).

The big question is: during the first turn of the nemesis fight, the Battle pressure cards are stacked or not?
The survivors go first, so the monster has yet to start his "first" turn.

I tried to find the ruling in the Faqs and old threads, but I did not find a clear answer. It could be just a false loophole overridden by the rule of death. Or maybe it could be am hint for the players to hit hard at the beginning while they still can.

Sorry for asking but (silly me) I never read well the card or considered this possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kingman fight - King's Aura timing
I never stacked them when the survivors go first, sincerely there is no reason to do that. It is strong even with this little advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike kohlhepp
United States
allentown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey...its been awhile, but I recall the cards being stacked. You have to learn his moves to gain a better chance of hitting. IIRC, that's the purpose of the cards. Makes the fight harder, but this is Kingdom Death...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
IIRC it also says (either in setup instructions, or on Battle Pressure) that they start the battle on top of the deck too. I'll check in a few hours when i'm home, if nobody else has a full answer by then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb

I've put the fight on hold for the time.
The more I look at the cards,the more I'm thinking maybe I did the wrong thing in the previous campaigns when I immediately put the battle pressures on the deck.
(Or the card should be FAQed like "at the beginning of the fight")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmb
Always ruled it goes on top because I shuffle the deck before starting the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DifferentPerson wrote:
Always ruled it goes on top because I shuffle the deck before starting the battle.

I agree with this. Had never considered the alternative but I think you would shuffle the HL deck at the start of the fight and therefore you would put the tempo cards on top before it starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
strewart wrote:
DifferentPerson wrote:

I agree with this. Had never considered the alternative but I think you would shuffle the HL deck at the start of the fight and therefore you would put the tempo cards on top before it starts.

Right, I did not consider that the location deck is shuffled anyway when you build the monster's deck.

Just killed him in 4 turns without anybody dying (a first for me).
Full leather, full autoblock Gorm set and shields saved the day (and getting King's step at the first attempt).

Two of my guys survived a strength 10 acid spray trap with acceptable damage.

Another quick question: how do the founding stone and Battle pressure interact? At the end the monster had one wound left, my guys were in pretty bad shape and I decided to end it with the stone.
But the Pressure cards were stacked on...
My hunch is that the stone causes a wound anyway. But I decided to do the honorable thing and peel off the cards before throwing the stone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
A thrown founding stone does not get to peel Battle Pressure. King's Step specifically says it only let's you npeel them when you /attack/, and the founding stone special is not an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the mechanics of the Founding Stone are as follows:
1. Spend an activation and archive the Founding Stone
2. Draw next HL card
3. If there is a critical text, apply the critical text AND wound normally. If there is not, no critical wound is done (I think that reactions are still cancelled, but it never occurred to me such a case, so I probably have to reread that part). If the location is Impervious, no wound is inflicted but the full critical text (if present) is applied.

So, it does not peel nor pierce Battle Pressure. Since you draw it, though, I guess you can try to King's Step normally, since it does not seem to be related to a reaction or anything, it's just text on the card (citation needed).

About King's Aura, please note that not shuffling the Battle Pressure on top of the HL deck would have lasted for the first survivors' round when they go alone, then it proceeded as normal. It is a nonsense to apply it "because you shuffle the HL deck anyway", because that is not what is written on the King's Aura. However, fen's objection is accurate. The FAQ states that the ambush turn is a turn in which the monster still goes first and does nothing, and you can apply that to this scenario, so nothing changes in the results (except, always remember to do exactly what the rules state, don't overthink them ). The FAQ states clearly what happens and this is the same: Battle Pressure even in the first turn (I did just never think of applying this to the King's Man, a scenario that I thought to know well before the FAQ was out )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks. It was late and I missed the FAQ about the monster skipping the initial turn.

Yes, the founding stone works as you people described…
Well, I applied all the right rules and still I have beaten him!
There's definitively something wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
MatBat wrote:
Thanks. It was late and I missed the FAQ about the monster skipping the initial turn.

Yes, the founding stone works as you people described…
Well, I applied all the right rules and still I have beaten him!
There's definitively something wrong...

Founding Stone only wounds if the HL drawn has a Critical Wound text. If it does not (most of the Butcher's cards, Battle Pressure), then it applies no wound and the stone is wasted. This is located in the FAQ as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MatBat wrote:

The big question is: during the first turn of the nemesis fight, the Battle pressure cards are stacked or not?

Yes. When you create the Hit Location deck you shuffle it. This happens after putting the S cards into play and they explicitly are ruled to apply for the entirety of the Showdown.

c.f. P65 of the rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.