Subject: What to Buy to Upgrade Base Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the page for parts at http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Axis-Allies-1914_c_427....

I wish they had a "suggested upgrade pack" rather than having to pick everything out separately.

Does anyone have a suggestion of the best set of upgrades to get?

Any other sources for extra chips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stim
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is cheaper to just buy a second copy of the base game to get all the extra pieces you need. The currency at Historical Boarx Gaming looks nice, but it appears to be long out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Search around the this forum, there were a few threads here that listed the parts people tend to run out of the most. IIRC it was German infantry and chips. A second copy of the game is much cheaper on a per unit basis but that's "spending money to save it". HBG has good products and good service and is the best way to go if you just need to top off with parts. Depends on what you need and want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
TTM07 wrote:
Search around the this forum, there were a few threads here that listed the parts people tend to run out of the most. IIRC it was German infantry and chips. A second copy of the game is much cheaper on a per unit basis but that's "spending money to save it". HBG has good products and good service and is the best way to go if you just need to top off with parts. Depends on what you need and want.

That is why I asked. I often pimp my games out, but buying money is really low on my priority list. I was mostly thinking of the unit pieces and possibly the markers.

The markers would seem easy to supplement by finding appropriate stickers and making my own with regular or mini poker chips.

I have several alternatives for money, including a custom printed set of poker chips I use across games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try checking threads on axisandallies.org, try fieldmarshall gaming(minis, chips, accessories, etc) and seach the net for something called micro armour(I dont know the exact web address off the top of my head) but they have several high quality minis. also try searching on youtube, there are several vids that talk about customization of A&A games.
He primarily talks about A&A Global 40, but young grasshopper at the cliffside bunker on youtube talks a lot about customizing. Chances are some of the stuff he utilizes for Global 40 might work for your game as well, or where he gets things from might have stuff for you as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you haven't already, there are some files posted on this game's geek page that can add nicely to this version. I rather enjoyed the tech development one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I increased my A&A 1914 game using Historical Board Gaming. It turned out to be more expensive than it should have been, but, I bought what I wanted and not necessarily want I needed.

I did buy paper money, I've thought on and off about also picking up the poker style chips as they look very sharp. I also doubled the chips. Both of these, in my opinion are necessary.

I bought 10 extra infantry per country. Originally I was going to have 10 extra for Great Britain, France, Russia and Germany while the other countries, Italy, the Ottomans, Austria-Hungary and the United States get 5 extra infantry, but, then decided to get 10 for everyone. I increased the artillery by 5 for everyone and the tanks/aircraft by 2 I think.

What I did do more by specific country was increase naval units. Not that I really had to, but, I don't like the chips in the ocean areas, that is just a personal thing.

In the end I'm very happy with what I got. Between the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar and the American dollar, plus the shipping costs, it probably would be more economical just to have picked up the second game, but, then I'd have boxes and a map that I wouldn't really want too.

The one thing I've been considering doing is to photograph the areas that make up the Western Front and photoshop them so that they are only the specific area and go to a printing shop and have the photos mounted. For such a large board, the Western Front area is the smallest sized and becomes very congested too. With the large amount of the smaller dice, I'd strongly suggest a dice tray or tower too.

I've considered purchasing the zeppelins as well, 2 per country, but, the cost is quite high, or, it was the last time I looked at it. So that is something way on the back burner.

In the end, I'd suggest to pick up some sort of currency, more chips and at least 5 infantry for Germany, Great Britain, France and Russia at a minimum. You could still add the 5 infantry for the remaining countries as well. The game will handle the other units very well.

All the best with your decisions and let us know what you decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The website http://www.skybluepink.com might have upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the input.

What about using

https://smile.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Transparent-Colo...

or

https://smile.amazon.com/SmartDealsPro-Learning-Counting-Cou...

?

Those prices are reasonable for a bunch. Would likely replace those with the game, rather than supplement them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
Thanks again for the input.

What about using

https://smile.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Transparent-Colo...

or

https://smile.amazon.com/SmartDealsPro-Learning-Counting-Cou...

?

Those prices are reasonable for a bunch. Would likely replace those with the game, rather than supplement them.

I'd keep away from both products. The first transparent ones would most likely slide off each other. They are needed on the Western Front where space is a premium and if they do slide off knocking into the other areas it will not improve your gaming experience. As for the second group they have a raised edge, although less likely to slip than the transparent disks, the likelihood off them tipping is still more likely than the ridged ones that come with the A&A games.

If you look on HBG web site [sorry I do not know how to make the link], they sell the same disks as the A&A games but in different colours and fairly inexpensive too. Pick the colours that you like, orange for single units, purple for 5 units and white for 10 units, or, whatever colour combination that is available and that you like. If you're going to nag to order more infantry from them, it might be easier to pick the disks up as well.

I know that when the game first came out, the actual company was sending extra parts at no charge, however, by the time I went this route, they had stopped and basically told me "no" and implied that if I required more pieces, then I must be playing it incorrectly. Have you tried calling or writing an email to Wizards? Perhaps they changed their position once more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at the HBG website last night and they have bags of the disks, or chips as they call them, of 50 for $3.00 in about a dozen colours and smaller bags of the A&A 1914 style for $2.00.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info guys, talked me into just getting 2 copies right out of the gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorb wrote:
Thanks for the info guys, talked me into just getting 2 copies right out of the gate.

That'll work great, enjoy the game, it's a long game, but, a good one at that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, the easy part was deciding to buy two copies, the hard part is to round up several players. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorb wrote:
Ha, the easy part was deciding to buy two copies, the hard part is to round up several players. shake

Worst case scenario, start with two and then see if the tales of that can recruit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.