Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Clarke
United Kingdom
Cranleigh
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of getting Dungeon Petz, but a number of the comments accompanying users' ratings seem to suggest that in practice it takes rather longer than 90 minutes to play, which would make it much harder for me to get to the table.

I appreciate that length will depend on the extent to which players are prone to AP, but for an average group of gamers, is 90 minutes realistic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player? Sure. 90 minutes is fine. 4-player? I like to give a solid 2 hours, more if I have to teach new people. I think the last time I played with three new people, took almost three hours. A fun three hours, no doubt, but still, that can be a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long do games like Agricola and Puerto Rico take your group to play, as compared to the box time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Clarke
United Kingdom
Cranleigh
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
How long do games like Agricola and Puerto Rico take your group to play, as compared to the box time?

We tend towards the top end of the range - say 2 1/4 hours for 4 player Agricola and 2 hours for 4-player Puerto Rico - and those are games we're very familiar with. For new games we find we often overrun against the box time. Why do you ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you overrun on Agricola and Puerto Rico - both euros of a similar weight - you are not going to finish dungeon petz in 90 minutes with 3+ players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 hours is plenty for 4 people, 1.5 hours is plenty for 2 players. Longer for initial games.

But we do puerto rico in 90 mins max... so Andy is prob right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eder
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont find extra players really enhances the play time as much. The real trouble is that the gametime is mostly dictated by the slowest player as the card assigning step is done simultaneously and is the bulk of the brainwork in the game.

Just my opinion.

But Id say 2 hours is more common for 4 players.
More for teaching games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two key points in the game that can be AP prone: bidding for turn order and dealing with your pets needs. But both are done simultaneously. So there isnt much downtime. You always feel like you are doing something. The thing that is slow at first is learning all the bookkeeping and little rules for each phase. But the iconography and player aid is great. On the third play with the same 4 players you could play in 90 min if nobody is ap prone. But 2 hrs is probably more likely for the average group.

If you introduce it you really want to know the game.

Great game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and if DP ends up being too long, I highly recommend Viticulture. Similar complexity, very thematic, similar amount of luck, similar worker placement feel etc. But viticulture is a bit quicker in my experience. I own botb and love both. My two favorite worker placement games of all that ive tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Clarke
United Kingdom
Cranleigh
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Looks like the consensus is that for our group it's likely to be longer than a 2-hour game for 4 players, but maybe less for 2 players. Consequently I may still get it on the basis that even if we rarely play with 3 or 4, I'll have opportunities to play it with my wife.

Viticulture is an interesting thought but it seems to be currently unavailable in the UK. Also while I am a wine lover I think the theme may be less interesting to the rest of the family than Dungeon Petz!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great imho.

One thing I will add is that Viticulture is much easier to teach than DP in my experience (if you can ever get it). They are going to print a new edition of the Tuscany expansion soon so there will likely be a new print run of the base game soon. If you ever get viticulture I HIGHLY recommend tuscany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lliwedd wrote:
Viticulture is an interesting thought but it seems to be currently unavailable in the UK. Also while I am a wine lover I think the theme may be less interesting to the rest of the family than Dungeon Petz!

You might be surprised about Viticulture. I'm not into wine at all & I really enjoy it. It's not all about making the wine, it is about running a winery too & it is a pretty streamlined, fairly easy game to play.

I've only played a few two player games of Dungeon Petz & because we don't play it often, trying to remember all the rules slows us down a bit. And even though I think the theme is great and it is fun, I find it a bit heavy to play. Trying to play your cards in the best way each round can be challenging. Our games have taken well over two hours (as mentioned this is because we don't play often enough).

Anyway, hope you enjoy it, there's really nothing else like it... that I know of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.