Arkham Horror» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Question: What is your strategy concerning monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Long Lance
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I count twelve coming in from starboard, Admiral.
badge
Fourteen from port side, sir!
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I would ask: are you using any expansions? The monsters from them are much more difficult than the base game and should not be added until you are comfortable with the base game.

Second, you might want to skip the initial Mythos card and start the game with no initial Mythos phase. This will give your Investigators a chance to run around and do stuff before any monsters appear - like go shopping at the stores.

Edit: also I would not play with less than four Investigators. That is my standard number when playing (solo or not). You didn't say how many you were using. It is very hard to play with 1 or 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I focus my investigators on roles. Early game, whomever has money goes shopping and any weapons go to the best fighter. He/She becomes the monster sweeper. Make another investigator the gate closer. Another can work on getting money from the newspaper, or blessing others, or general support.

Just played a game this afternoon where Joe Diamond (who starts with a .45) got gifted a +combat magic item from the 'shopper' and the alien device from a lucky magic shop draw. So he's rolling upwards of 12 dice in his combat round (while blessed) and had a stack of 3 toughness baddies.

The other guys were mostly useless with combat, but it didn't matter. They snuck by and sealed gates, and when they popped out of the other world, Joe would wander in an clean up the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, a good monster killer character (Michael McGlen, for instance) should be able to take on three toughness monsters from the outset with his tommy gun.

Of course, against the super tough monsters, sometimes you have to push your will right down, auto-fail the horror check, and then kill kill kill (not always a valid tactic with three sanity max...) - but overall with a decent weapon in hand, most monsters should be "do-able", with magic / one-shot weapons for the big fellas (or a strategic gate close to remove them from the board).

In a nutshell, monsters are often more killable than it can seem, but yeah you can often have to take a mini-beating to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you taking time to shop?

It can be hard when time is so critical, but pooling your funds and sending someone off to look for weapons is crucial, especially when the starting items are not helpful in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-FZRH6EBIWhhHw5v645Kg
badge
Only In It For The Chuckles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using the Dunwich Injury & Madness cards? Monsters can be really tough if you get defeated without them as you have to lose items, clues and money.
If you do use them are you making sure after you take one that you are fully healing up your sanity or health? You don't have to pay to heal in that situation.
Other than that (as mentioned above) having a designated monster killer to whom you supply the best weapons you have is your best bet.
Another thing to remember is to make sure that you are using the Outskirts rules correctly. Otherwise you may be filling up Arkham with more monsters than you should. For 4 investigators only 7 are allowed in Arkham and the sky before you have to start putting any new ones in to the outskirts.
Apologies if any of the above is stuff you have been doing already! Hope your monster pulling luck improves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
This used to be a big problem for me with just the base game. Dunwich mitigates this somewhat, because you can take a Madness/Injury card, not lose anything and automatically be replenished to max San/Stam.

It doesn't help if you're trapped, but you don't have to spend five turns replenishing your stats. Of course, this is when you run screaming into the street, right into the maw of the monster; but Dunwich does help a little.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is why I like playing as Wendy. Wendy is never trapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daker
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah.

95% of the time this game does give you a chance, even if not always a really good chance. But then sometimes you're just totally ****ed no matter what you do.

It's well known that it's possible, though rare, to lose the game on round one without making any clear strategic missteps.

But even worse are the times when the game corners you like a mouse and bats at you with Ultharian paws. You think perhaps you can escape, it doesn't even seem to be watching you anymore, it must have lost interest, you stop shaking for an instant then scamper with all your might toward the last gate but it has been watching you from its slit-like pupil ever vigilant only pretending to ignore you. Now it has you. Why couldn't it have spared you these hours of torment by devouring you on round one? Has it no concept of mercy My God why? oh why
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
This is why I like playing as Wendy. Wendy is never trapped.

Are you sure you wanted to make that statement laugh
What you do in your personal life is up to you whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.