44.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So let's pretend I bought everything at once, and then lets say I won't play it 15 separate times to get a feel for each expansion before mixing it. What do I mix now and what do I keep separate? Can I mix all the spell and adventure cards from the expansions, anything else, the Warlock cards? And I'm assuming this has been posted somewhere so if it has can someone post a link as I couldn't find it. Any help would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use and mix whatever you want. There are some spells that may be useless if you don't play with anything else (I think), but if you know the game play with everything, its simple. But if you don't, maybe use Highlands, City, and Dungeon for large expansions, no big rule changes. For small expansions, the simple ones would be: Deep Realms, Sacred Pool, Frost March, & Reaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ginn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the majority of the expansions all at once (before Harbinger and Cataclysm) and combined them immediately. I've been playing Talisman 2nd Edition for over 25 years though, so I wasn't worried about starting off with the whole works.

It was fantastic, with one exception; The Dragon. Me and my Talisman-loving friends all agreed that it was just a bit broken. It added way too much additional "work" to each turn without much payoff. Some of the cards were cool, but overall it was just a bulky expansion that bogged down the game.

Everything else we love though. Firelands is probably our least favourite, but we still play with it. And since I have all the Adventure cards mixed together, we don't see a ton of Firelands cards anyway, so it's not a problem.

Having played 2nd Edition for over 2 decades, I was at the point where I knew every single card by heart and the only surprise was the order they were going to be found in. With 4th Edition and all the expansions, we've been playing for 2 or 3 years and every game is 80% new stuff. It's very exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't play with every card from every expansion (I have nearly all of them). The reason is there is no way to shuffle and get any kind of consistency. The worst time was when it went around the table ten times in a 4 player game and nobody fought a single encounter.

So I made my own adventure deck. It is twice the size of the deck in the base game, and simply has twice as many of each type of card. If for example the base game has 20 Places, then my final deck has 40 Places. Yes that means I chose which Places to include, and none of them have to be from the base game.

I also do not use the Dragon expansion, except that I have incorporated it into the Dungeon deck as "The Dungeon of Dragons". I did not keep the same proportions for the Dungeon deck, it skews heavily towards Enemies (nearly 75%). No Enemies below a 4, and they tend to be strong. If you're strong enough, this makes the Dungeon a place to really level up, but it's not easy. It also keeps a lot of dragon stuff in the game to support characters that need dragons in the game.

Actually I dug up the file I made while crunching the numbers, and the base game adventure deck is composed as follows:
60 Enemy (30%)
+27 Events (13.5%)
+26 Followers (13%)
+14 Strangers (7%)
+22 Places (11%)
+14 Gold (1x8 2x6) (7%)
+37 (Magic) Objects (18.5%)
200 Total
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
I don't play with every card from every expansion (I have nearly all of them). The reason is there is no way to shuffle and get any kind of consistency. The worst time was when it went around the table ten times in a 4 player game and nobody fought a single encounter.

So I made my own adventure deck. It is twice the size of the deck in the base game, and simply has twice as many of each type of card. If for example the base game has 20 Places, then my final deck has 40 Places. Yes that means I chose which Places to include, and none of them have to be from the base game.

Actually I dug up the file I made while crunching the numbers, and the base game adventure deck is composed as follows:
60 Enemy (30%)
+27 Events (13.5%)
+26 Followers (13%)
+14 Strangers (7%)
+22 Places (11%)
+14 Gold (1x8 2x6) (7%)
+37 (Magic) Objects (18.5%)
200 Total

That's very helpful - thanks. What I might do is sort the huge stack of adventure cards by type, shuffle each type separately and draw the numbers of cards of each type which you have listed there to make a balanced adventure deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's very helpful - thanks. What I might do is sort the huge stack of adventure cards by type, shuffle each type separately and draw the numbers of cards of each type which you have listed there to make a balanced adventure deck.
I like that, that's a pretty good solution too. It would certainly make each game different. You'll need to pay some special attention to choosing Enemies however, you don't want it to be too hard or too easy, both would make a game unfun.

I prefer the crafted method a little bit more as it's allowed me to remove a lot of things that cause Toad status (a rule I don't play with anyway), and I've removed all the boring objects (pretty much anything in a purchase deck) in favor of more flavorful things.

It takes a moderate amount of work, but when you put all the Places face up on a table, it's a lot easier to decide things. Like there may be 3+ of a place, I think there is a gold giving Place that has 2d6 gold to start. There's a couple in the base game and several more in the Highlands I think. It's been a couple years since I've gone through the cards in a meaningful way. It just gets a lot easier to filter out the ones that are higher quality, or fun.

You want to keep some of the back breaking stuff in the game, but you don't need to overload on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ginn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
I also do not use the Dragon expansion, except that I have incorporated it into the Dungeon deck as "The Dungeon of Dragons". I did not keep the same proportions for the Dungeon deck, it skews heavily towards Enemies (nearly 75%). No Enemies below a 4, and they tend to be strong. If you're strong enough, this makes the Dungeon a place to really level up, but it's not easy. It also keeps a lot of dragon stuff in the game to support characters that need dragons in the game.

Brilliant! I love this idea and I'm totally going to steal it. I love the cards from The Dragon, but the overall mechanics just weighed the game down too much. This is a perfect mix of both worlds. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
Quote:
I like that, that's a pretty good solution too. It would certainly make each game different. You'll need to pay some special attention to choosing Enemies however, you don't want it to be too hard or too easy, both would make a game unfun.

That's a good point. I think with 60 enemies in the deck that component is unlikely to be heavily skewed, but I can imagine the Places and Strangers stacks, with only 14 or 22 cards, might unfairly favour e.g. craft or strength if drawn randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
Quote:

I prefer the crafted method a little bit more as it's allowed me to remove a lot of things that cause Toad status (a rule I don't play with anyway), and I've removed all the boring objects (pretty much anything in a purchase deck) in favor of more flavorful things.

It takes a moderate amount of work, but when you put all the Places face up on a table, it's a lot easier to decide things. Like there may be 3+ of a place, I think there is a gold giving Place that has 2d6 gold to start. There's a couple in the base game and several more in the Highlands I think. It's been a couple years since I've gone through the cards in a meaningful way. It just gets a lot easier to filter out the ones that are higher quality, or fun.

You want to keep some of the back breaking stuff in the game, but you don't need to overload on it.

You remove "toading" completely - that's a form of Talisman blasphemy surely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
So let's pretend I bought everything at once, and then lets say I won't play it 15 separate times to get a feel for each expansion before mixing it. What do I mix now and what do I keep separate?

Assuming you're jumping in right off the bat, I'd say play a couple rounds with just the base game to get a general feel for things.

Reaper, Sacred Pool, Frostmarch and Blood Moon don't change for rules, mostly just adding variety to the main deck (Blood Mood does a little more with the day/night thing, but it's simple and/or easy to ignore).

Dungeon, City, and Highlands don't have much for notable rules changes (the City is probably the most complicated with Wanted Posters and whatnot).

Woodlands, Dragon, Firelands, Harbinger and Cataclysm are all more involved expansions, with above average amounts of rules tweaks and/or difficulty.

Nether Realms is Ending focused, and should mix fine with most of the above.
Deep Realms requires Dungeon and City to function.

VaeVictis666 wrote:
Can I mix all the spell and adventure cards from the expansions, anything else, the Warlock cards?

For the most part, yes.
Firelands has the most complaints about diluted theme when mixed in with everything else though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Maybe, I just don't feel that 3 turns, times 4 players... that amount of downtime can pretty much ruin a game night for someone. It's exponentially worse as your "stack" grows. So I've removed anything with that as its only purpose, and anything that is left in the game, like rolling a one on a place or whatever... equals "Lose a turn".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
Quote:
Maybe, I just don't feel that 3 turns, times 4 players... that amount of downtime can pretty much ruin a game night for someone. It's exponentially worse as your "stack" grows. So I've removed anything with that as its only purpose, and anything that is left in the game, like rolling a one on a place or whatever... equals "Lose a turn".

I certainly wasnt meaning to mock you, Having games where all 4 players are being toaded would certainly suck. never experienced it, but can imagine it could spoil a gane for some people. Though thats the beauty of talisman, it is very customizable to each gaming group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not all four, I just meant one player toaded, and having to wait through 9 player turns. Plus still having to be there to hop 1 space and have bad things happen to them. I didn't feel mocked, just mostly agreeing that yes it is sacrilege and a big change, but it's for fun's sake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting turned into a Toad is the funniest part of the game!

Plus, it's a great way to get a bunch of items and money back on the board for other players to take. So great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I always found the toad thing to be just a massive fun killer. It's a throwback to the days of monopoly and snakes and ladders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.