Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 562: The Astral Queen
5-Player Base Game to Kobol

Welcome to BSG 562: The Astral Queen!

Rules and Guidelines:

d10-1 In order to participate, you must own a copy of the base game,

per FFG request. If you need card text at some point, just GeekMail me.

d10-2 You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least once every 24 hours, preferably more.

Discussion between players is highly encouraged. However, if there's no active discussion, I'll send you a reminder at 24 hours, and make your move for you at 36. If this happens too much, I'll replace you. If you warn me or the thread about slow play, we'll be patient. =)

d10-3 All communication between players must occur in this thread ONLY. Follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

This includes always making it clear what character you are speaking as by including an appropriate banner at the top of each post. Banners created by DukeOfEarl et al. are available here. If you are mobile, please type your character name in caps at the top of your post. Other pictures for adding flavor can be found in this compilation.

Courtesy of Mike Bonn, here's an amazing script that makes it super-easy to add those banners to your posts:
Mike_Bonn wrote:

1) Click on "Edit" on the top right of your screen to Edit your quick bar.

2) Chose an empty spot and fill label with "My Banner" and add the following text to the URL :

Quote:
javascript: (function() {var b = '[ImageID=xxxxxx medium]'; var t = document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0]; t.value = b+'\r\n'+t.value;})();

3) Replace "xxxxxx" with the ImageId you want to use as your banner. I used 565008 to generate the one in this post.

4) When you post, click on Reply/Quick Reply and then click on your Quick Bar Link. Presto!

It even works on mobiles, so no excuses not to use a banner!

Also, be sure to leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding of your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded. If you're on mobile, saying "bold" (or close equivalents) before an action is sufficient.

d10-4 When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line.

Example: "BSG 562 (Starbuck): Admiral's Quarters Skill Check"

I am moderating several games; this will help me make fewer mistakes!

d10-5 Do not edit your posts.

Please do not go back and edit posts unless you are quickly fixing a typo immediately after posting. Instead, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed. This is to prevent confusion (both for me and your fellow players). Similarly, do not delete posts.

d10-6 Do not quote posts from more than one page back.

Just because you can go back and look doesn't mean it's cool to do so. In real life, you probably aren't keeping track *that* closely.

d10-7 Respect the secrecy rules.

I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ.
In particular, please make sure you don't:
* Say "medium" if you only played one card.
* Talk about scouted cards beyond good or bad.
* Identify what cards (or even what colors, or the exact strength) you played into a skill check, even implicitly.
* Volunteer what cards are in your hand (or ask about cards are in someone else's hand) unless it is relevant to the situation.
* Reveal exactly which Quorum cards you have.

Conditional Orders (COs)

1 Put in COs for pretty much anything. All COs should be sent to me via GeekMail, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" (and a description of what the CO is for) in the subject line.

2 Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act.

3 Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. A full list of these circumstances will be provided in the next post after character selection.

4 TANKING: I will allow the use of "Tank" during the interrupt phase. This means "Pass on interrupts AND the check if everyone else passes." As soon as someone plays cards into the check, "Tank" is nullified; if a revealed Cylon play wouldn't change your plans, for example, you may want to also CO me an intention to pass on the check, as well. You may also declare "Tank" in public but CO cards to play in private. Those playing after you are free to assume you have passed, however; this is rarely an issue in practice.

Have fun out there!

Special Thanks

This is a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Thanks go to him for starting this. Thanks also to Orphius, JasperHawk, and Mawkee for their work on the mod tools that will be used.

This introductory text is copied mostly from ed_hennessy via zelarvi, who helped get me into moderating these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

House Rules:

There is a Quorum Hand Limit of 10 cards. If at the end of any player's turn, the President has more than 10 Quorum cards, they must discard down to 10. (This is the same rule as in every expansion).

I was thinking I'd stick with Base Game Investigative Committees & Resurrection Ship, but if people have a strong preference to work with more Pegasus-like versions, I'd be open to it.

We use Daybreak-type rules for Loyalty handoff upon reveal:
* If you reveal as Baltar before sleeper, you pass off your extra Loyalty to a Human of your choice.
* If you reveal as Boomer before sleeper, you still get two new Loyalty cards at sleeper.
* If you reveal before sleeper, at sleeper you pass off your new loyalty card(s) to a Human of your choice.
* If you reveal between 4 and 6 distance (inclusive), you pass off your remaining loyalty card(s) to a Human of your choice.

Note that the Resurrection Ship location is still the Base Game version, not the Daybreak version.

Default COs:

You can override any of these by CO.

Tigh's Cylon Hatred: Handled as part of the interrupts phase on AQ checks; I will only auto-pass this if you are the target of the check.

Zarek's Friends in Low Places: Handled as part of the interrupts phase for Brig/Administration checks; I will never auto-pass this.

Apollo's Alert Viper Pilot: I will pause for this when it triggers.

Chief's Blind Devotion: I will assume you are passing this unless you put in a CO to do so, or its use is discussed in the thread.

I will automatically have you pass on any interrupts you don't have; however, I reserve the right not to do so in order to preserve secrecy. In particular, I will generally not entirely skip an interrupts phase.

Skill Check Interrupts (Investigative Committee, Scientific Research, Assign Arbitrator, Tigh's Cylon Hatred, Zarek's Friends in Low Places):
* If Engineering is already positive, I will automatically pass on Scientific Research.
* If someone plays a equal or lower-valued copy of an interrupt you have, I will automatically pass you, unless you are in the Brig or over your hand limit.

Strategic Planning:
I will assume you will pass on:
* Launch Scout as long as 2 or more Raptors are intact; note that in this case, a public CO as to whether you're scouting the Crisis or Destination is fine.
* Any rolls that would help the Cylons.
* Any attacks made by Vipers.
* Any roll where someone has already played a Strategic Planning.

Evasive Maneuvers: Will be passed automatically unless
* the viper is destroyed,
* the viper is manned,
* the viper is the last ship protecting a civilian, or
* there are 2 or fewer undamaged vipers left.
Pilots may want to leave me a more detailed CO for when they would and would not use their Evasives.

If the order of Raider Activation doesn't matter for the Raider AI, I'll start with Sector 1 and proceed clockwise.

I reserve the right to pause more often than these default COs when the situation warrants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing:
Kwijiboe
kandiru
Mythdracon
tuathail
mrfan

Out:
boltana
Gueuze
Furunkel
Xodan

Declined:
GerryRailBaron
benjiskhan (time)
sardonyx (time)

The game should begin no later than 2330 UTC on Tuesday, September 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
In. Thanks!

Prefer a purely base game experience, except for loyalty hand off rules. I'm also ok with quorum 10 limit rule.

But I'll let majority of crew decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In!

Loyalty hand off only affects the 1/25 chance the poor cylon gets dealt both cards. Seems fair to let them not have to telegraph it by wasting an action to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in! It's been too long. Looking forward to the game.

I should note that I am in Central Europe (it's 7:40 PM here). Hopefully that won't cause any huge issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr fan
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ready to play if a slot's open!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pretty sure we've got our lineup, so getting started with character selection (highest goes first):

Kwijiboe 1d100 = (66) = 66
kandiru 1d100 = (3) = 3
Mythdracon 1d100 = (71) = 71
benjiskhan / tuathail 1d100 = (9) = 9
sardonyx / mrfan 1d100 = (100) = 100

Well, looks like we're waiting anyway. mrfan, you're up first if benjiskhan & sardonyx both decline; you may want to CO me your character choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 952159. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (66) =
  • Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:05 pm
  • [+]
  • 952160. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (3) =
  • [+]
  • 952161. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (71) =
  • [+]
  • 952162. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (9) =
  • [+]
  • 952163. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (100) =
  • Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:06 pm
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

benjiskhan and sardonyx have auto-declined, so tuathail and mrfan are in!

mrfan is up first for character selection; he may pick any character from the base game.

Per comments in the thread, we're going with base-game ICs (that reveal destiny), but Daybreak-style Loyalty handoff:

* If you reveal as Boomer before sleeper, you still get two new Loyalty cards at sleeper.
* If you reveal before sleeper, at sleeper you pass off your new loyalty card(s) to a Human of your choice.
* If you reveal between 4 and 6 distance, you pass off your remaining loyalty card(s) to a Human of your choice.

The Resurrection Ship location is unchanged. It is not a hazardous location, the action still swaps Super Crisis cards, and if distance happens to be exactly 7, you can still use it to pass off any remaining loyalty card(s) you may have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr fan
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I choose President Laura Roslin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Next up is Mythdracon; you may choose any character except another Political Leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I choose Saul Tigh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Next up is Kwijiboe! They can choose a Pilot or Support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmmmm.

Let's go with OPollo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Next up is tuathail, who can pick any character except the three already picked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll play Tyroll.
Also, I'll sort out an image when I'm next on my pc.

Edit to insert image (hopefully)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Last but not least is kandiru, who can pick any character except one of the four above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll go with Tom Zarek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

By now, you all should have received GMs with your Loyalty, starting cards (if you requested any / are Roslin), and Quorum (if you're Roslin).

Those of you who didn't put in an initial skill card order should do so now.

Iniitial Skill Card Draw wrote:

Initial Skill Card Draw

Roslin (5) - 3 Politics, 2 Leadership
Tigh (0) - (3 cards)
Apollo (3) - 2 Politics, 1 Piloting
Chief (3) - 1 Politics, 1 Leadership, 1 Engineering
Zarek (0) - (3 cards)

Also, Apollo, would you like to start in Sector 5 or Sector 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll draw 1 Politics, 1 Leadership, 1 Tactics

Hello everyone, thanks for letting me out of the prison ship. I hope we can work together to get to Kobol safely and speedily.

I would like to improve our relations with the rest of the fleet by giving a press conference in the Press Room soon, so I would appreciate you all leaving it empty so I can do so, rather than sticking a security detail on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Added default COs for character abilities in the default CO post above; basically, I'll pause for all of them when appropriate except Chief's OPG, which will require a CO (or active discussion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb

Please put me in the sector towards the back of Galactica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr fan
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would welcome suggestions for my first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb

It's up to you. At the moment, there are no immediate threats. So, you might want to leave those responsibilities to the other players. (Raiders are not a threat to civilians until they activate three times, so you have a lot of freedom to do whatever you want to do.)

The downside to going first as Roslin is that you started with five cards and wont draw cards for 5 more turns, so activating a location would be potentially costly to the crew since it would require us to do heavier lifting during skill checks since you'd be left with 3 skill cards for 5 turns.

But again, it's up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Roslin - If you have nothing better to do, if you XO me I can move to Press Room and draw 2 Politics to try to get some committees. I am then in a useful location to receive XOs and turn them into politics in the future. Otherwise it will be a full 5 turns before I move there myself.

You could XO Tigh to nuke the basestar, but that could end badly if he's actually a Cylon, and with your visions simply waiting a turn is probably a better plan.

Otherwise the best option for you might be to draw a Quorum card with your presidential card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [44] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.