4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: RtL: Threat and Fortune Tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Threat and Fortune Tokens

If you lack any LT packs, use anything you have on hand to represent Threat and Fortune Tokens. Coins or any items with two distinct sides work best. As an example, heads on a coin would be Fortune, tails would be Threat. There is no limit to the number of Threat and Fortune tokens available.

Fortune Tokens
Fortune tokens are granted one at a time, to a hero with the fewest fortune tokens. If any heroes are tied for the fewest, decide who gets the Fortune token.
Heroes retain Fortune tokens between quests. Do not discard them until they are used. Fortune tokens may be discarded to do any of the following, each once per turn:
1. Reroll one die for any reason, attack dice or defense dice any time dice are rolled, including for attacks made by monsters.
2. Recover 1 Fatigue during your turn.
3. Give your hero one Movement point during your turn. This effect is not available if your hero is Immobilized.

Threat Tokens
Rule of thumb: Threat tokens are only discarded if required. If discarding all available threat tokens would not accomplish anything useful, do not discard any.
1. Reroll attack die that shows X: Discard 1 threat token. This may be done any number of times in a single attack.
2. A monster misses due to Range: add +1 Range per Threat token discarded
3. Each time a die rolls a blank on defense, discard 1 Threat token to add +1 to all Blank die results. If the monster would be defeated even after this bonus, do not discard any threat tokens for this effect.
4. A monster is unable to reach an empty space within the limits of its movement during an Engage, Spot or Retreat: add +1 Speed per Threat token discarded until the monster is able to reach an empty space.

Unlike what the rules in the Lieutenant Packs state, threat tokens that are discarded for any reason do not grant the heroes Fortune tokens. The Threat token variant is mainly to compensate for failings on the part of the app's AI and to make monsters more challenging with fewer misses.

All items in this list are wholly optional. Feel free to use any or none of them. They are simply ideas to add variety to the game.

To balance the difficulty change these rules represent, the addition of Threat tokens is used. Threat tokens are set aside near the monster cards in a supply called the Pile.

* If you are using Threat tokens at all, place 1 threat token in the Pile at the start of each "New Round", and at the start of the first round. Remove all Threat tokens at the end of each quest from the Pile.
* If only one of these optional rules is being used, also place 1 threat token in the Pile each time a new map tile is placed during any setup phase.
* If two of these optional rules are being used, in addition to the Threat token placement above, add 1 Threat token to the Pile for each monster that is placed on the map during any setup (whenever any portion of a map is revealed and you are instructed to place monsters. Do not add Threat tokens to the Pile if a monster is placed on the map outside of Setup phases).
* If three of these optional rules are in use, in addition to the above Threat token placement, add 1 Threat token to the Pile each time a Master monster or Lieutenant (or Agent) resolves an attack action.
* If you are using all four of these optional rules, in addition to the above Threat token placement, add 1 Threat token to the Pile each time a Master monster or Lieutenant (or Agent) resolves any action that is not an attack.

Optional Rule: Search Deck Additions
Add Secret Passage (or "Nothing") and Treasure Chest to the Search deck

Secret Passage (or "Nothing"):
Replace text on card with:
Keep this card in your play area. The next unlocked door in this quest may be opened by flipping this card over instead of taking an action.

Treasure Chest:
Replace text on card with:
Roll 3 Red power dice. Gain a number of Fortune tokens equal to the total ❤ results.

Optional Rule: Search Cards Gold Value
Whenever Search cards are returned to the search deck, add up the total gold value of the search cards found during a quest. Gain one Fortune token for every full 100 gold worth of Search cards in play. Search cards both face up and face down count toward this value.

Optional Rule: Master Bounty
Each time a hero's effect (hero ability, heroic feat, class skill, familiar) defeats a Master monster, gain 1 Fortune token. If a monster is defeated due to a Condition or an effect from equipment that is not an attack (eg: from Shadow Tome), no bounty is gained.

Optional Rule: Side Quest Bonus
Each time the heroes finish a Side quest, gain 1 Fortune token for each hero in the game. If the heroes won the side quest, gain 1 additional Fortune token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kolodji
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Re: RtL: Fortune Tokens
I guess you could add those rules if you just want to make your game easier. Personally, I haven't had a problem with passing quests. I've gone through rise of the goblins and 2 quests on kindred fire. It's your game so play how
you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
drshizzlewink wrote:
I guess you could add those rules if you just want to make your game easier. Personally, I haven't had a problem with passing quests. I've gone through rise of the goblins and 2 quests on kindred fire. It's your game so play how
you want.

That is a good, concise description of the Variants concept. Good thing I posted it here and not in "Mandatory Rules" or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
I updated the variant to be more balanced, in the spirit of Descent's two-sidedness.

It's a lot less simple than my first draft, but I designed it to be more modular and weigh the benefit more toward the Monsters as more benefits to the heroes are gained. I considered the use of Overlord cards, but decided that narrowing down the number of additional game elements would be best.

Hope this adds to the enjoyment. Let me know if you find it sufficiently balanced or if changes should be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.