$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 55.39

4,048 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
25.5% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Matt McCloskey
msg tools
We had a game tonight come down to the final round of combat, where either Dracula died, or a hunter died and the despair meter went to 13.

There were 2 hunters involved in combat with Dracula, and in the second round, Dracula played claws, which would have done 4 damage and killed a hunter. Another player, who was not at the location where the combat occurred or involved in combat, played great strength to save the hunter, and Dracula would die from the resulting damage.

The issue in our playgroup is that despite the fact that great strength simply says "save another hunter", it is unusual for an event card to affect a combat that the hunter playing that event card is not involved in.

Does anyone have a clarification?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they weren't at the same location they can't play any cards during combat.

Edit: The way I see it, reading the Rules Reference section on Combat, once the combat starts it resolves following the steps provided. Anyone that isn't part of the combat would have no available actions.

Last Edit: Yup, they can play it. I contacted FFG about this one.
Pretty much the golden rule of "card text is the rule" wins out here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdmcclos wrote:
We had a game tonight come down to the final round of combat, where either Dracula died, or a hunter died and the despair meter went to 13.

There were 2 hunters involved in combat with Dracula, and in the second round, Dracula played claws, which would have done 4 damage and killed a hunter. Another player, who was not at the location where the combat occurred or involved in combat, played great strength to save the hunter, and Dracula would die from the resulting damage.

The issue in our playgroup is that despite the fact that great strength simply says "save another hunter", it is unusual for an event card to affect a combat that the hunter playing that event card is not involved in.

Does anyone have a clarification?

The wording on the Great Strength is

Quote:
Play when you or another hunter is bitten or would be defeated from suffering damage.
That bite or damage is prevented.

There is nothing that says that another hunter has to be at the same location. Other effects do specify this if appropriate.

The rules on combat are silent on the question of whether people outside the content can play cards interrupting the sequence of combat.

On this basis it is perfectly legal for a hunter at another location to play Great Strength in this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with H-B-G. This event card specifies when it can be played, and being part of the combat is not part of the specification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with daved and randiv
the card as written indicates a noncombatant can play it
however, it is possible that this was not the intent, as many cards and rules in this game are unclear
and thematically it does make sense that a human's strength, no matter how great, wouldnt be able to reach across the continent
but I think they intended what the card actually says
otherwise it would probably say something like "you may play this when you are in combat... "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Now someone posted the wording (I didn't have the game to hand) I also agree - you can play this for another hunter whether you are in the combat or not - or even if the bite/damage occurs outside of combat, such as from an encounter or event card.

I don't think the event cards are intended to always mean the event occurs for the hunter that owns the card. They can affect any or all hunters, or Dracula. In this case it's not the Great Strength of the hunter playing the card, but the hunter affected.

I think it's pretty clear how the rules work, but thematically I find the Event cards to be a bit of an oddity; they belong to a hunter, but the hunter has a hand limit and can often choose when an event takes place. Thematically this is hard to make sense of; it's probably best not to think about it too much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCloskey
msg tools
We definitely had the same debate. Basically it seems to come down to "Words as written" vs. "Flavor".

Most importantly, you all agree with my side of the argument!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picture the event cards as just being things that can happen in the game, not that they are necessarily caused by the players that play them. It's fairly abstract.

Great strength came from within the hunter as Dracula tried to finish him off. Yes, it was some player somewhere that had the card and then played it, but the relationship is more like the relationship between a screenwriter and a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
randomlife wrote:
I picture the event cards as just being things that can happen in the game, not that they are necessarily caused by the players that play them. It's fairly abstract.

Oh I agree!

However that doesn't really gel all that well with the fact you obtain them by 'Supplying'. How does one hunter looking for supplies in London cause another hunter in Spain to get a sudden rush of strength? Why can each hunter only have a limited amount? How can Van Helsing trade them with other hunters?

I think it works great mechanically, and sometimes the events makes sense. The 'play immediately' cards seem fine, it's just the ones players get to keep which seem a bit odd thematically.

Quote:
Great strength came from within the hunter as Dracula tried to finish him off. Yes, it was some player somewhere that had the card and then played it, but the relationship is more like the relationship between a screenwriter and a character.

Yeah, some separation of the player from the hunter is required. Maybe a Supply action just means 'spend time searching the town' and in small towns you never find items but something else might happens in the time spent.

I still think it's best not to think too much about this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
It's fairly abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.